Hot tent camping in -30°c/-22°F

rclouse79

WKR
This dang post just cost me $550. After talking about using ice fishing shelters in cold weather I started looking at the Eskimo 650xd, which is much larger than my eskimo 949i. Just pulled the trigger on it. It will allow for room to fish inside while leaving two cots set up, or to squeeze four people in for sleeping only. I am looking forward to using it for a base camp in cold weather hunts as well.
I have accepted that I have a shelter, tarp, tent addiction. I have a lux 8 man tipi that has only been used a couple times I might sell after buying this.

OP
T
This dang post just cost me $550. After talking about using ice fishing shelters in cold weather I started looking at the Eskimo 650xd, which is much larger than my eskimo 949i. Just pulled the trigger on it. It will allow for room to fish inside while leaving two cots set up, or to squeeze four people in for sleeping only. I am looking forward to using it for a base camp in cold weather hunts as well.
I have accepted that I have a shelter, tarp, tent addiction. I have a lux 8 man tipi that has only been used a couple times I might sell after buying this
It's funny that you say that, when my fiancee and I were out camping in the -15C range, we ran into a gentleman with a 650xd.

He invited us into his tent and we were astonished at how warm it was in there and at how well the heat from his woodstove remained trapped inside the tent.

I am purchasing that exact model this year for use as a basecamp by the foot of the mountain.

OP
T
This may be a late reply to everyones comments, but everyone was right. We ended up camping overnight in -30c and it was a killer, with the stove running we were in our long sleeve shirts. But once we went to sleep the stove needed to be filled to the brim to keep the heat pumping and us warm.

I ended up purchasing one -33C bag and one -29c mummy bag a few months later as I learned from my mistakes.

I still love my liteoutdoors tent and stove and plan on camping in -30C weather in it again soon enough

I camp down into the -30C temps a few times a year, a mix of backpacking and horse camping. I run a lite outdoors tipI with stove and liner a Taiga works down bag -20 c rated. Then I sleep in my puffy layer and base layers with OR booties and I do fine. Thermarest Xtherm NXT R7.3.

Horse camping we run a canvas bedroll which makes a big difference and then backpacking I cover myself with my tarp. If its going to dip lower than that I have a 10 oz synthetic quilt I will pack in as a bit more insulation.

I will be buying a Borah bivy as I have a November backpack sheep hunt coming up in the next year or two in similar temps, no horses.