Hot Italian Sausage seasonings.

What is everyone's Hot Italian favorite mix? I process almost all my own meat and my favorite, most versatile grind is Usually Hot Italian. I still have not found a mix that I think is the one! I just received 2 more mix's from Con Yeager that I will grind up next weekend and give a go. Does anyone have one that they think is amazing? I usually go with Waltons mixes, but I am starting to grow bored of them and want more spice and flavor. Maybe I just need to doll them up a little, but was really hoping someone had another spice company that just knocks it out of the park.

OP
H
It's funny you mention Ac Legg. That is one that often pops up on my radar and I keep neglecting it. Does it have some good spice? Seems most are more bland than I prefer.

92xj

WKR
Do not put them off any longer. I use them for all my processing now. Blend 10 is the best typical breakfast sausage and id highly recommend it. And as far as a kick for the hot Italian that’s a tough one. I think it’s got a good kick, my wife thinks it’s super spicy. One thing I always do, and would recommend, with all my sausages, fresh and cured, I always use two pounds less meat than the spice recommends. 23 pounds for the 25lbs blends.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
OK, I make all of my own sausage, no mixes. I have worked on my own recipes for 40+ years. Worked for a meat guy when I was young and learned a lot. This is my go to simple Italian recipe:

12 lbs meat (you're choice, I prefer at least half pork to venison)
5 TBsp fennel seed
4 TBsp kosher or canning salt (non-iodized)
1 TBsp Black Pepper
1 TBsp Garlic Powder
1.5 TBsps crushed red pepper
2 tsp sugar

If you want it more spicy, increase the crushed red. Maybe double. This makes excellent pizza sausage and just a good sausage for pasta recipes. If you stuff this, add a cup of ice water in the mix.

Last edited:
I have used the hot Italian from Butcher Packer for many years. I buy most all my seasoning mixes from them I don't mix up myself. I never had any complaints from anyone I fed it to. You can buy other supplies from them as well. Never had any issues with ordering from them.

I use a lot of AC Legg seasoning. Breakfast sausage, Italian, Polish, Summer Sausage, Bologna, Salami, Snack Sticks, pepperoni, etc. I use two other companies for my Bratwurst, Chorizo, Sweet Italian, and some of my different cured meats. I simply do not have the time to try and mix my own seasonings. I could if I wanted to but with so many great companies out there I choose to make it easier on myself. I’m not making 12 lbs at a time. It’s usually in the hundreds of pounds at once.

AC Legg 103. The best premade blend I’ve found and now that I’ve found it, I’m done experimenting with others.

I'll have to check this out. I used Waltons in the past and their italian seasoning wasn't so great. Waltons does however produce an excellent swiss brautwurst, fresh chorizo, and breakfast seasoning

OK, I make all off my own sausage, no mixes. I have worked on my own recipes for 40+ years. Worked for a meat guy when I was young and learned a lot. This is my go to simple Italian recipe:

12 lbs meat (you're choice, I prefer at least half pork to venison)
5 TBsp fennel seed
4 TBsp kosher or canning salt (non-iodized)
1 TBsp Black Pepper
1 TBsp Garlic Powder
1.5 TBsps crushed red pepper
2 tsp sugar

If you want it more spicy, increase the crushed red. Maybe double. This makes excellent pizza sausage and just a good sausage for pasta recipes. If you stuff this, add a cup of ice water in the mix.

I just got my yearly pig so I'll have to check this out.