Making Summer sausage (And Smokehouse build..kinda)

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR

Tmac

WKR
The product looks great. Do a lot of similar steps. I stuff off the grinder on the second grind, works well and saves time, but I don’t use cheese. Also keep my pork at 20% or less. Try to avoid too much saturated fat. But that is one loooong smoke. I use an electric thermostatically controlled smoker. Generally have it done in 8-10 hours.

Awesome write up!
Thanks for taking the time, well done.

A couple critiques for improvement...
For smoke generator and temperature control, consider something like this - Smoke and Temp control
Locate the thermocouple is the appropriate spot and set temp like an oven.

Also, the Smoker looks beautiful and craftsmanship is awesome, but...
It's wood, and there is a fire inside. Had a friend do something like this and it burned down, took out his garage too.

Thanks, but I don't need improvement.
That's what my friend thought too. Now he pays more for insurance.

Not sure of all the details but,
something about hot dripping grease over a small open fire in a wooden structure.

His was close to his garage. What's your close to?

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
When smoking sausage in a smokehouse, if done correctly, you will not have dripping grease. Fat renders at 180 degrees, do not go above that to keep the product better and keep the fat where it belongs, inside the casing/meat/sausage.

I have no idea why I am engaging with you, as it is clear you, I mean your friend, don't have much experience with smokehouses and how to run them safely. I would cook my way in my garage without worry if I wanted a garage full of smoke. I also run foil drip trays under all my meat, the trays are actually NOT there to catch grease drips, but are used to diffuse the heat column to get consistent temperatures within the smokehouse. Speaking of that, there is no way your pellet heat/smoke source you linked would work good in a smokehouse like mine. They are great for metal cookers where you are cooking butts, shoulders, brisket ribs, but not for a large in elevation smokehouse that want to run between 90 degrees and 179 degrees while keeping a consistent temperature through the vertical range of the smokehouse.

Last edited:
No offence intended, looks like you have a very nice operation, as I said.
I do have a little experience on the subject and not just limited to my friends unfortunate encounter.
A couple weeks ago, my slightly overcrowded batch getting loaded.
smoke1.jpg smoke2.jpg
I cook to 152* over 1 1/2 days, the drip tray get filled with apple cider, but always somehow gets some grease in it. If that grease somehow found its way around the tray, there's a real flare-up possibility, after seeing what happened to my friends wooden unit. Yikes!

When you went from 3 rows of block to 2, it looks like a red flag to me.

Here's that pellet smoke hopper I mentioned earlier, I mounted it on my rotisserie pig roaster, a 250 gallon oil drum. It's holds temperature like an oven with plenty of unneeded heat to spare. A 245lb hog.
roaster1.jpg roaster2.png

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Sounds and looks good.
Though you already know, those summer sausage need some space!
Next time split the batch up. You will get a way more consistent cook between each log.

And yep, that pellet heat/smoke on your pig cooker is exactly what they are good at doing; in a smokehouse, not so much.

Anyhow, the pig looks good!

SBR Sarge

FNG
OK. I gotta try this.

Two questions on the meat/fat ratio.

1- If I use venison and wild hog fat, what ratio should I start with?

2- Any ideas on making it completely from wild hog? I have a good amount of hog meat as well as trimmed fat from the hog.

Thanks,
SBR

And yep, that pellet heat/smoke on your pig cooker is exactly what they are good at doing; in a smokehouse, not so much.
I'll strongly disagree with this. Those pellet smoke hopper units are made for exactly this purpose, and are very good at it. They are the heart of all pellets smokers, typically range from 'smoke only' to '400+ degrees' and hold it right there. I set mine for 150 degrees to take the chill out, then increase slowly.

Again, my hat is off to you as an Artisan in sausage making, and even wood working!
But, your method of cooking is flawed. People should not be coping this!

Here's why,
There is an open flame too close to hot dry wood, with dripping grease that might just bridge the gap, if everything isn't perfect. With a devastating result if there is a house close by.

Also,
A turkey cooker burner is not designed to heat an enclosure, or be used indoors. Because there is no safety.
If the flame ever went out, it would continue to pump gas unregulated, then there is a secondary heat source (the smoking pellets) that would reignite it as an explosion.
It's not hard to imagine the various things that could make the flame go out.

A smokehouse is essentially a big oven, but, in an oven if the flame goes out - the gas valve turns off, automatically. Otherwise, it's a bomb, waiting to happen.

svivian

WKR
I'll strongly disagree with this. Those pellet smoke hopper units are made for exactly this purpose, and are very good at it. They are the heart of all pellets smokers, typically range from 'smoke only' to '400+ degrees' and hold it right there. I set mine for 150 degrees to take the chill out, then increase slowly.

Again, my hat is off to you as an Artisan in sausage making, and even wood working!
But, your method of cooking is flawed. People should not be coping this!

Here's why,
There is an open flame too close to hot dry wood, with dripping grease that might just bridge the gap, if everything isn't perfect. With a devastating result if there is a house close by.

Also,
A turkey cooker burner is not designed to heat an enclosure, or be used indoors. Because there is no safety.
If the flame ever went out, it would continue to pump gas unregulated, then there is a secondary heat source (the smoking pellets) that would reignite it as an explosion.
It's not hard to imagine the various things that could make the flame go out.

A smokehouse is essentially a big oven, but, in an oven if the flame goes out - the gas valve turns off, automatically. Otherwise, it's a bomb, waiting to happen.
Let it go man

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
OK. I gotta try this.

Two questions on the meat/fat ratio.

1- If I use venison and wild hog fat, what ratio should I start with?

2- Any ideas on making it completely from wild hog? I have a good amount of hog meat as well as trimmed fat from the hog.

Thanks,
SBR
If using straight fat, I'd do a small batch at 10% and then work up if needed. I absolutely hate when Summer Sausage or snack stick coat my mouth in grease.

As far as completely from wild hog; I'd say its very doable. I have never done it, but most commercial SS and sticks are 100% pork. I personally would stick to leaner cuts to get the bulk of the mix and then add fatter pieces to make it to the desire lbs amount. Experiment with small 5 pound batches.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
What mix are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mix as in seasoning blend?

If so, I use A.C. Legg for pretty much all my seasonings. I used to try and blend my own but they never turned out to what I would consider great. AC legg has it down. Their blends are better than any I have tried and I would highly recommend them.

Jon Boy

WKR
Mix as in seasoning blend?

If so, I use A.C. Legg for pretty much all my seasonings. I used to try and blend my own but they never turned out to what I would consider great. AC legg has it down. Their blends are better than any I have tried and I would highly recommend them.

That’s what I’m looking for. So many end up very disappointing after all that hard work!

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
That’s what I’m looking for. So many end up very disappointing after all that hard work!

Yep, I hear that. I was there a few times when experimenting with blends. I would even do small batches because I feared screwing up and wasting meat. Once I found AC Leggs, I always do 25 lb batches and they are all amazing. Good luck!

mitchell

FNG
Those sure look like they turned out really well. Got me all ready for some sausage making. I have a 4 rack digitally temp controlled Pit Boss and have made a couple batches of 25 pound , 12 in summer sausages, I used PC Seasoning for the summer sausages I made. The last batch that I made didnt turn out like the first batch I made a few years ago. Did everything right down to the T with both batches. Not sure if PS changed the recipe or not, but it just didnt taste the same. I definatly will order the spices from Leggs this time and give it a whirl ! Loved reading your post and I got to admit, pictures are worth a thousand words ! Great Job !