Horse and Muleman knives

wyodan

WKR
What are you mule and horse packers using for belt knives. I’m looking for a horizontal carry knife or something similar, and the google isn’t helping me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike257

FNG
I've carried a small anza for years,, really like a crossdraw ,But after loosing about the third one went back to vertical . Haven't lost one since, horseback didn't seem the problem, always lost them climbing on and off the skid steer feeding round bales.

Procision Arms

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Rokslide Sponsor
I carry a spyderco rescue folding knife when riding, packing or rafting. Rides in the console of my truck when not doing one of those things.

It’s really light, blade opens with one hand and I never have to worry about it popping out of a sheath. It’s wicked sharp and cuts through rope like butter. I treat like an emergency item- it never gets used for even the lightest of tasks, it’s only job is to cut a rope or line in a dangerous situation.

I got the idea from a professional packer. His idea was if you carry a “do-all” belt knife, you’ll use it and when you have an actual emergency, you could potentially have a dull knife.

yfarm

WKR
Moore Maker knives in Matador Tx sells made in the US knives and accessories designed for the working cowboy. Their fixed blade knives come with a vertical sheath but horizontal carry sheaths are an option. There are custom leather makers that sell horizontal carry sheaths for common knives on ebay, have one that I use for a Gerber shorty

Last edited:

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Gossman Unk and CFK (just a larger Unk) for working around stock. I've always stayed with a vertical sheath and never lost a knife.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I carry a spyderco rescue folding knife when riding, packing or rafting. Rides in the console of my truck when not doing one of those things.

It’s really light, blade opens with one hand and I never have to worry about it popping out of a sheath. It’s wicked sharp and cuts through rope like butter. I treat like an emergency item- it never gets used for even the lightest of tasks, it’s only job is to cut a rope or line in a dangerous situation.

I got the idea from a professional packer. His idea was if you carry a “do-all” belt knife, you’ll use it and when you have an actual emergency, you could potentially have a dull knife.
This is the 100% most efficient and effective solution.

Period.

Once you’ve had a wreck and have needed to cut stock loose…the solution is clear.