Honda Generator experts

Alessio

FNG
Very compelling, most of the comments are in complete contrast to my experience. The Predators are by no means junk, in fact with regular maintenance and some tinkering, they have been very reluable on job sites where I would not want to temp human nature with the pricier Hondas.

Having hundreds of hours experience with both, my ears perceive the predators as a higher pitched, rattly sound vs the Honda's lower pitched, smoother, even sound.

To be honest, I don't know the date of manufacture on the Predators but the Honda 2200s are from 2019 and I've yet to run them in tandem.

Attachments

• 20240904_221721.jpg
    20240904_221721.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 4
For near 15 years now I have owned a AC G8010S model John Deere branded 404cc Subaru powered 8000 surge generator. Been through a couple major hurricanes, power outages etc . Yes I know it's over kill for what OP original needs and questions are . However that Subaru powered generator has never given me a lick of trouble and runs like the day I bought it new . Besides this unit I have only owned higher displacement Honda's and Yamaha's which were very good units . However said all this to say I darn sure wished Subaru had never got out of the generator game some years back .

cb2176

FNG
An oversized generator may be louder, but the extra power is nice when unexpectedly needed.

OP
E

elkliver

WKR
A lot of good info here... I also need a generator to run my pump when the power goes out. I currently have a briggs and stratton (3500 or 4000 maybe?) but you definitely do not want to load it in the truck to go camping. And it is very loud. Messing with it over the summer is what started my question. 90 % of the time i would be fine with one of the smaller generators If i bought a pair(either predator or honda) i was thinking i would then sell the Briggs & Stratton. Or have the option of keeping with it becoming a house generator

Seems like everyone agrees that Honda is the absolute best way to go with generators... so i think im going to bite the bullet. I have a chance to pick up a couple of used Honda EU 2000i with the companion cord. I know they have now come out with the 2200I but believe the 2000i is probably fine. Im assuming that together i could run the AC in a camp trailer?. Any reason not to grab the pair? Any thoughts on a ball park decent price? Anything i should look for? I'll make sure they start of course but other than that? Are there any challenges to the running in parallel i should know?

I don't know much about generators. :)

PS How do i know if one is the "companion"? Im assuming it has the RV plug receptacle but if i am lookin gat the picture right, it's only a 26.6 amp plug which i dont think will run a trailer with AC

I ran a single 13k and also a single 15k btu with one gen, 15k btu is hard to start and can be a little finicky but no issue if start with two in parallel and turn other off.

Maintenance wise As long as you drain carb, you will have zero issues. The carb has a flat head drain under it. Simple to drain.

Don’t over think it
  • 15,000 BTU: 1,200 to 1,700 watts
  • 10,000 BTU: 600 to 750 watts
  • 7,000 BTU: 500 to 650 watts
  • 5,000 BTU: 300 to 450 watts

Last edited: