Home Printer

Jmort1754

WKR
Need a home printer for minor printing projects. Nothing fancy, ability to do color.

You gus have any input?

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Brother MFC line of printers. They're an all in one style of printer and start at about $100. I'm using the MFC-J4335DW model and it's about $180. Ink cartridge life is good and they're reasonably priced as far as ink cartridges go.

Loper

WKR
I use the one at work anymore. I got tired of buying a new printer every 2 years. They never seem to hold up.

Same.

I’ve bought all the different brands over the last decade and I haven’t found one that is any better than another. After about a year or two, I feel like Michael Bolton and Samir from Office Space and want to take a baseball bat to it.

If I were to buy one today, I’d probably look for a plain jane black and white printer without all the bells and whistles.

I used to use the printer at my office. However, now that I work remote I don’t have that option. I’ve gotten to the point where I rarely need to print anything, and when I do, I just ask my neighbor to do so or run up to the local library or Office Depot.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I work in IT, printers are disposable. They all suck unless you step up to a $400 for a personal do nothing printer. They sell printers at a loss and make their money on ink. We have a few Laserjet pro 401 in the cubes, black and white only.

I say your better off with the best deal that includes the most ink on the initial purchase.
Also, buyer beware, lots of people return old used ink carts to amazon and they send out empty carts all the time.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I've had luck with Brother laser printers. Toner lasts forever and is cheap. I just have B&W but it comes in handy.

I have HP, usually sell for under $100, but as stated above, they only last about 2 years. Crazy thing is, two new ink cartridges (color and black) costs around $70 from HP and a new printer is $100. New printers come with ink cartridges, although they are just starter cartridges. The $70 cartidges last much longer.

7mm-08

WKR
We have had a Brother MFC L2700W since 2015. $200 out the door. It is the Toyota Land Cruiser of this class of printers because all you need to do is provide supplies and it keeps on spitting out high quality documents. I'll bet we've run 35 boxes of paper from Costco through this unit and it just keeps working. That's 10 reams per box with 500 sheets per ream for a total of - sorry, you get the picture.

ljaq516

FNG

If you find a good printer, hopefully the ink lasts long. These days you don’t know if the printer will crap out first or the ink will run out lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Home printers make my anxiety rise. Over the past 30 years I have had more than I can count and they all go bad fast. Last couple have been Canon and they are ok.

HP printers caused me my first grey hairs.

Rob5589

WKR
Owned most of the big names and Brother has been the most reliable and easy to set up.

hunterjmj

WKR
We have an HP with the ink auto renew and it works well. The printer knows when it's getting low and they send new ink @ $4.99/month.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Look for a printer that allows you to use the refill bottles rather than having to buy unreasonably expensive and proprietary cartridges.

Look for a printer that allows you to use the refill bottles rather than having to buy unreasonably expensive and proprietary cartridges.
That would be great. With my HP printer, I have to replace it with a "Genuine HP cartridge". Some way, the printer can tell if it is a new cartridge or just a refill, because you have to reset it by printing a page to calibrate it. If you put a refill, the printer says "REPLACE CARTRDIGE WITH A GENUINE HP CARTIDGE", and won't let you do anything until you put an HP cartridge.

HP Laserjet Pro 400 MFP (black and white) and a HP Color Laserjet Pro M255dw here. We have had the 400 for dang near 6 plus years. It's been problem free. We added the Color M255 about a year ago as I finally had had enough of owning an "inkjet" style printer. Both HP's have been excellent. Zero complaints here.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
That would be great. With my HP printer, I have to replace it with a "Genuine HP cartridge". Some way, the printer can tell if it is a new cartridge or just a refill, because you have to reset it by printing a page to calibrate it. If you put a refill, the printer says "REPLACE CARTRDIGE WITH A GENUINE HP CARTIDGE", and won't let you do anything until you put an HP cartridge.
I don't know which printer one of my friends got because I wasn't in the market but I know there are some available out there that are designed for the owner to be able to buy refill bottles if you search for them.

Beanx033

FNG
I've had a mid range wireless Canon for years. Annoyed me a few times but works for sporadic printing and updating picture frames once in a while.