Holy Smokes!!!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I'm not helping expecting "something" and haven't once asked regardless of the initial offer. It's their lead up followed by my sharing of information then the subsequent disappearing act, no thank you, no follow up even when asked "how did it go". I too was just hoping for their success, nothing in return, but in most cases they vanish afterwards. It's happened multiple times. Apparently I'm a slow learner. I have, however, finally decided the hope to see someone succeed isn't worth my effort if they are clearly unwilling to make their own effort beyond asking for a handout online.

I hope you continue to have luck with the folks you help. Maybe I've just given bad assistance and the lack of follow up shows it but I'm finished with handing it out.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I've never minded sharing information. General units and otc is one thing but not LE. It's very easy to scroll on by and not comment either. They will figure it out and if they don't it's no skin off my back.

Just think you could be complaining about elk hunters while selling a service that teaches people to be better elk hunters. 🤷‍♂ Maybe it's only okay to ask for help if you're paying for it.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Are we really in a recession or heading towards one if people are going to blow NR fees on an elk tag they didnt even research?

I also feel like Colorado's draw system is extremely straight forward. Yet people can't take 10 minutes to read the guide. Now, Idaho is a system that makes me scratch my head.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I draw tags I haven't researched. Tags are hard to draw. I change my application strategy annually to adjust to ebb and flow of how I assume others are applying you can't research everything before hand

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I draw tags I haven't researched. Tags are hard to draw. I change my application strategy annually to adjust to ebb and flow of how I assume others are applying you can't research everything before hand

Do you apply for tags without knowing whether or not there is public land to hunt?

That's the kind of questions I was talking about.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you apply for tags without knowing whether or not there is public land to hunt?

That's the kind of questions I was talking about.
Honestly, I have applied without any research before. Sometimes a place or hunt dates just fit and I'll wing it. It's kinda fun to draw and figure it out sometimes, feels good to beat the odds and be successful. Research can also less enjoyable and having a tag sure shifts my prospective and i start grinding into it. Times are changing for sure, people are more tight lipped even about hard to draw units.

I applied to unit - a few years ago and spent a decade worth of points(poor way to rate a unit but is what it is), and doubt I'll catch it again in my lifetime. Sadly my research was dated and limited my opportunity to maximize the experience. If a giant was my goal I would have fell well short. Luckily for me my goals typically tend to not rely on that aspect. Perhaps that's why the above still works for me

Usi05

WKR
I have never gotten an email from go hunt posts but I’ve gotten like 4 of them in last few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luv2huntelk

Lil-Rokslider
I simply have zero understanding why someone would apply for a tag prior to doing any research???????

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
Sometimes you apply for the "never in my life going to draw" tag just to gain a point. Then somehow you miraculously hit the lottery and draw the tag with .0035% chance. Most states I do not apply Point Only as I might as well have that 1 in a million chance to draw but assume I'm just getting my point. I may already have my fall plans set so I'm applying to continue my point collection. However, I am actually one who drew a miraculous tag this year in a unit most only dream of hunting.

Got my work cut out and many trips to help my leaning curve of the unit.

jmez

WKR
If I'm applying for a "one in a million" type tag I'll have researched the unit prior to applying.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm applying for a "one in a million" type tag I'll have researched the unit prior to applying.

I would agree if using a bunch of points, but in luv2hunt's example, I've applied for top tier units where I just wanted a point, but also have a random tag or two issued to NR in their system (AZ for example), with zero research because there is always a lottery odds chance of winning. I don't need research yet. I know if I hit that lottery, I'd want to hunt the tag and I'll research then. To me it's like spending time scouting and researching sheep units. It's not really a conversation until it is.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

luv2huntelk

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree if using a bunch of points, but in luv2hunt's example, I've applied for top tier units where I just wanted a point, but also have a random tag or two issued to NR in their system (AZ for example), with zero research because there is always a lottery odds chance of winning. I don't need research yet. I know if I hit that lottery, I'd want to hunt the tag and I'll research then. To me it's like spending time scouting and researching sheep units. It's not really a conversation until it is.

Exactly.
Who realistically researches all about the Missouri Breaks Sheep tag or Henry’s Bison tag extensively before they apply for those?
You already know those are world class hunts and you’ll worry about research if by some random chance you draw a tag.
Additionally, you can research a unit to death online but experience of previous hunters can sometimes trump all internet research. That may include hitting forums to cast a wide net to find hunters with experience who may be willing to share their personal opinions on a unit.
Not all hunters who post “Looking for help” require honey hole pins and such, sometimes they need opinions of “avoid this area” or “great person to talk to would be” or a variety of advice. When someone draws a once-in-a lifetime tag, commonly other hunters who drew that tag will happily share advice, tips & tactics without much worry to loss of hunting opportunity, they can never hunt it again anyways.
I do understand the frustration with dealing with hunters who apply little to no effort on their hunts/draws/apps, but there are those who work hard, scout hard and hunt hard who like to discuss tips & tactics with other hunters who do the same and that can occur after one draws a “one in a million” lottery tag.

bz_711

WKR
It's because they HEARD good reports on these various units. No serious research on their own!

ElkNut
It does appear that way sometimes...SMH

I try to give more than I receive and answer every DM as honest as I can.

This site has helped me a ton, from elk info to family vacation plans. Best forum I've been a part of. If I can help anyone, let me know?

Also agree. Don’t have time to research every unit for every species in every state that I apply for. I generally research my elk units but there are many tags I apply for and don’t research because my chances of drawing are so low that any time I spend outside of just dreaming is a waist of time. This year I applied as a NR in Nevada for California bighorns as I do every year. There are only 4 NR tags issued and this year there were only 4 choices to apply for. I picked 1-4 and holy smoke I drew my 3rd choice. I had no idea about the unit I drew but I damn sure will figure it out with or without help. I can’t afford an outfitter and I look forward to the process of learning the unit and know I have time to find a kill a ram. People are just asking for help. Each and everyone of us can decide if we want to or don’t want to help them. Just not a fan of people coming on here telling me what I should and shouldn’t do just because their opinion is different than mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharpio

FNG
You can find so much unit specific information on Rokslide its scary. I use it as areas to avoid hunting because I know how overwhelmed they will be.

cmw3w5

FNG
My hunting buddies and I wanted to try a limited draw unit versus OTC in Colorado this year. With point creep and limited options when it comes to "draw" units at my point level, I knew I could just do research after if successful. Research only gets you so far. Got to find the elk when it counts.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure we have Covid to thank for the explosion of "outdoors persons". Seriously. Fly fishing and whitewater rafting is experiencing the exact same thing. It's great people are doing more outside. But it sucks for those of us that are used to "how it used to be"

NRA4LIFE

WKR

Spot on. Here in WA, how many people have researched every sheep, moose, goat, quality elk, quality deer, etc that they put in for every year? Here's the answer: NOBODY.

Last edited: