Hogs

OP
HuntHogsnFish
Why does Male/Female matter? Just curious.

Honestly don’t think it matters, but I was hunting my buddies ranch so I guess I was trying to be respectful in some way. Not going to put a dent in the population and females are way better eating than the boars anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I took the 17 year old grandson up to central Ca. Monterey County for his second pig hunt. We left the cabin about 5:30 AM and arrived at hunting grounds about 6:15. We loaded the quad and headed out. after about 30 mins we ran across the first sounder of about 8 piglets and two sows, if there were more, we didn't see them, after giving them a good look over we decides to pass them up , the sow were both still wet. After another thirty mins. we came across a sounder of about 15 hogs. We were just looking for meat home, so we picked out a sow about 150 pounds. the grandson took aim and drop her at 233 yards. Our friend was next up, so after a short run we saw a real Nice boar and sow at 200 yards, but the boar went into thick bush and went over the hill, the sow offered a nice broadside so he took the shot. She rolled down the hill for a long way before coming to a stop against a big oak tree. As luck would have it the bush and the grade were too much to risk taking the quad down to retrieve her so the guide and the grandson took the tow lines and headed down to drag her up. They gutted her on the spot to drop the weight for the uphill drag. They were well winded by the time they got back to the Quade, I on the other hand was well rested. : She came in at right around 200 pound, a lot of which was fat, a lot of fat. We were back to the skinning shed about 2:30, and the pigs were in the color about 45 mins after that. I had never planed to hunt, I just enjoy watching the grandson do his thing.

Attachments

• Resized_20240427_154028.jpeg
    Resized_20240427_154028.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
HuntHogsnFish
I took the 17 year old grandson up to central Ca. Monterey County for his second pig hunt. We left the cabin about 5:30 AM and arrived at hunting grounds about 6:15. We loaded the quad and headed out. after about 30 mins we ran across the first sounder of about 8 piglets and two sows, if there were more, we didn't see them, after giving them a good look over we decides to pass them up , the sow were both still wet. After another thirty mins. we came across a sounder of about 15 hogs. We were just looking for meat home, so we picked out a sow about 150 pounds. the grandson took aim and drop her at 233 yards. Our friend was next up, so after a short run we saw a real Nice boar and sow at 200 yards, but the boar went into thick bush and went over the hill, the sow offered a nice broadside so he took the shot. She rolled down the hill for a long way before coming to a stop against a big oak tree. As luck would have it the bush and the grade were too much to risk taking the quad down to retrieve her so the guide and the grandson took the tow lines and headed down to drag her up. They gutted her on the spot to drop the weight for the uphill drag. They were well winded by the time they got back to the Quade, I on the other hand was well rested. : She came in at right around 200 pound, a lot of which was fat, a lot of fat. We were back to the skinning shed about 2:30, and the pigs were in the color about 45 mins after that. I had never planed to hunt, I just enjoy watching the grandson do his thing.

Great job! You on public or private?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flytrue

FNG
Anyone ever notice a maple syrup smell coming off a hog?
My buddy took a dry 200 lb sow this weekend and it smelled just like syrup! We've taken a few and this is new for us.
I liked the grandpa/grandson story.
Thanks.

206# boar from Friday night spot and stalk

azE1Ut9.jpg

CeKgVoK.jpg

Mark.c

FNG
I've heard rumors there are pigs in SoCal. Yet to see or get a legit story on them.
CADFW pretty much eradicated the ones in San Diego County around the El Capitan Reservoir. Riverside county around the Santa Ana river have some but no real access to hunters.

SDHNTR

WKR
I love pig hunting, I’m at the point now though it’s not worth it to pay to hunt them. I used to pay a couple hundred bucks for trespass fees and that was reasonable. Now a cheap one is 6-700. I’ve shot enough of them it’s just not worth it to me anymore.
We always just spot and stalked them.
Here’s the last one a shot, a huge sow with 3.5” cutters.
That’s a sow? wtf. Sure it wasn’t a Barrow pig?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
CADFW pretty much eradicated the ones in San Diego County around the El Capitan Reservoir. Riverside county around the Santa Ana river have some but no real access to hunters.
Somewhere in the mid 80s I won a DFG draw pig hunt in the Santa Ana river basin. It was a hunt intendedto eradicate the pigs from the area. I never made the hunt but gave the hunt to a friend of mine. He never saw a pig but did see sign. I have not heard anything about them still being there. I have been told there are some in San Diego county.