Hoffman Explorer vs. Schnees Granite

Nick66

FNG
How does the stiffness compare between the Hoffman explorer and the Schnees granite. Needing a new pair of boots and have it narrowed down to these two. I’m sure it’s probably splitting hairs as both are excellent

Big338

FNG
Own 2 pair of Granites gen 1 and gen 2 both excellent but looking forward to a comparison.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How does the stiffness compare between the Hoffman explorer and the Schnees granite. Needing a new pair of boots and have it narrowed down to these two. I’m sure it’s probably splitting hairs as both are excellent

I haven't held the Hoffman's in my hand to compare, but if I can answer any questions on the Granites, please feel free to PM me - Matt

J86Warren

FNG
I’d also love to hear if anyone has any firsthand experience with these two side by side. I’m very interested in both.

LJ Buck

WKR
Hard not to go with the Schnees, I have gen 1 and 2. The plan was to wear out the gen1 and then start wearing the gen 2 but I haven't been able to wear out the gen1.

fatlander

WKR
No experience with the Hoffman. But I can compare the flex to L&S mountain hunter elites if you’ve ever handled them.

I’ve got granite pros from schnee’s and they’re not nearly as stiff as the l&s’s I had. They’re also not nearly as heavy.

Overall, I like the granites a lot better. The L&S was a smidge too small and I paid for it on downhill packouts so that’s why I picked up the schnee’s. The granites are so much more comfortable after all day wear, but they do fit a little better to be fair to L&S. At the end of the day, I think the flex of the granite pros are perfect for my feet.

Hope this helps and I apologize if I got a little off topic with the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big338

FNG
I agree with the L&s comment. I did the whole kit with their elites thinking it would be fen better then the granites but I was wrong. They hurt both Achilles after 3-4 hrs of use multiple times. Had to wear granites on second day for New Mexico elk hunt this year cuz m6 Achilles killed me. Ended up giving them to a buddy to try out. Won’t go away from schnees anymore. I have a total of 8 different boots from them and everyone of them feel great. Taken the granites on multiple elk hunts, dall sheep, mountain goat and have Zero complaints.

OP
N

Nick66

FNG
No experience with the Hoffman. But I can compare the flex to L&S mountain hunter elites if you’ve ever handled them.

I’ve got granite pros from schnee’s and they’re not nearly as stiff as the l&s’s I had. They’re also not nearly as heavy.

Overall, I like the granites a lot better. The L&S was a smidge too small and I paid for it on downhill packouts so that’s why I picked up the schnee’s. The granites are so much more comfortable after all day wear, but they do fit a little better to be fair to L&S. At the end of the day, I think the flex of the granite pros are perfect for my feet.

Hope this helps and I apologize if I got a little off topic with the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good deal, definitely leaning towards the Schnees

J86Warren

FNG
So just a quick follow up for anyone else who may be looking at these boots.

I purchased the granite 2 and they just do not agree with my feet. Had a lot of pressure on the tops of my feet (above my arches) no matter how I tied them, the arch on only the right boot seemed to be to much for me, and had some heel lifting. as much as I hoped to have them be the boot of my dreams they simply couldn’t be. The quality did look top notch tho.

Then decided to try the Hoffman Explorers, had none of those issues for my particular foot and will be running them this year (and hopefully the next several years)

Bottom line is you gotta try them and see what fits

And to address the original question, stiffness is very similar.

I had the Granite ii, they fit great and I sold them thinking I wouldn’t use such a serious boot. Then I decided to get a real mountain boot again, bought some Kenetreks and they are too narrow and tight, at least in my normal size, turns out Schnees had a blowout sale today and picked up another pair of granite ii for dirt cheap. Schnees always has some really awesome sales. Glad to have this awesome boot back.

Franger

FNG
I’d like to get some more feedback on this question. Both designs feature some things I like.

I have messaged both Hoffman and Schnees on this site. Hoffman didn’t waste their time to reply, but Schnees were happy to communicate with me. That being said, I love my Schnees Granite II boots. They’re the best boots I’ve owned.

Franger

FNG
I have messaged both Hoffman and Schnees on this site. Hoffman didn’t waste their time to reply, but Schnees were happy to communicate with me. That being said, I love my Schnees Granite II boots. They’re the best boots I’ve owned.
Thank @jacknifejc I’ll do my own research on fit of course, the most important element. That said, I’m also keen to discuss is the durability/waterproofing difference between a stitched lower tongue area like the Schnee’s Granite or Crispi Guide vs a one piece upper/vamp like the Hoffman Explorer or Kenetrek Mountain Extreme.

Perhaps @HoffmanBoots or @Schnee's can chime in. Also I think I read somwhere that @Ross wears boots 374 days a year.

Last edited:
While in Alaska I stood in the creek for three hours straight skinning my bear and then had to walk through 6” of marsh for 1.5 miles. My feet never got wet at all in my Schnee’s Granite II boots. While I have never had the Hoffman boots (nor will I ever, due to their poor customer service), I have owned the Kenetreks. I never had the boots leak on me. However, the leather rotted completely through on both boots within two years. I felt they should have lasted much longer. That’s the reason I went away from Kenetreks. The Kenetreks were very comfortable and completely waterproof though.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ross
wears boots 374 days a year.
Lmao🤙
I can comment on the granite 4 the Hoffman’s xplorer and Crispi nevada.....of the 3 the nevada and schnee boots are as waterproof as you can get and keep my feet dryer than the Hoffman’s .....the granite 4 has an interior dry boot technology that does incredibly well, but the nevada is no slouch .....the granite is a little stiffer but marginal over the Hoffman’s,.....the granites are still going strong 4 seasons but did notice a little leaking this november and can see some cracks on the boot leather so they are running their course simply from use...all great boots but give nod to the granites for waterproof🤙

Arwhite90

FNG
Ross

Lmao🤙
I can comment on the granite 4 the Hoffman’s xplorer and Crispi nevada.....of the 3 the nevada and schnee boots are as waterproof as you can get and keep my feet dryer than the Hoffman’s .....the granite 4 has an interior dry boot technology that does incredibly well, but the nevada is no slouch .....the granite is a little stiffer but marginal over the Hoffman’s,.....the granites are still going strong 4 seasons but did notice a little leaking this november and can see some cracks on the boot leather so they are running their course simply from use...all great boots but give nod to the granites for waterproof🤙
How would you rate the stiffness of the Nevada compared to the other two? Any comments on the fit of the three, I am considering a new hunting boot for next year and have been strongly considering the Nevada but am open to others. Also do you have an opinion on how these models compare to the standard Kenetrek (mountain extreme or hardscrabble) both stiffness and fit?

I have had both the Kenetrek Hardscrabble and Mountain Extremes. I currently have the Granite II boots, and they are by far the best ones I have ever owned. They are equivalent in stiffness to the Mountain Extremes. I just ordered a pair of the Schnee’s Granite Pro boots, which are a little stiffer, today while they are still on sale.