Hiring an outfitter to pack elk out?

Edit, per Squirrel this looks like my post was illegal so it was removed:

10. SALE OF WILDLIFE (MISDEMEANOR) C.R.S. 33-6-113​

Illegal sale of wildlife covers a variety of illegal activities involving wildlife and the exchange of money. Colorado statutes make it illegal to sell or offer for sale any wild game or to solicit another person in the illegal hunting of wildlife. This makes the selling of any harvested game such as elk, deer, ducks, rabbits, or pheasants illegal. Many restaurants offer “wild game” menus that feature everything from elk and alligator to ducks and pheasants, although these animals are farm raised and not actual wild game.

Additionally, the illegal sale of wildlife covers any violations relating to guiding or outfitting services in Colorado. Outfitters in Colorado must register with the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) before providing any outfitting or guiding services. Failure to register, legally maintain your registration or failure to follow any of the rules outlined for outfitters in the rules set by DORA can result in violation for Illegal Sale of Wildlife. Outfitters who illegally procure licenses for their clients or abuse the hunting laws in Colorado for monetary gain are also subject to punishment under these provisions.

Violating the statutes covering the illegal sale of wildlife carries hefty fines and punishments. Violations relating to small game are misdemeanors and carry a fine of up to $1,000 and twenty (20) license suspension points as well as possible jail time. Violations for big game are felonies and gives the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission the power to revoke your hunting privileges for life.

Last edited:

squirrel

WKR
Never works. Well very seldom anyway. He has a busy schedule, your spoilage puts you on a tight to very tight time schedule. You have no legal options other than the 1 guy who is permitted in most areas. Square peg meet round hole.

Rent your stock ahead of time or hire the outfitter ahead of time. Or you can always pay the piper. Lots of what is being recommended to you up above is criminal BTW, check your states outfitting regulations before committing a several hundred dollar felony, unless you also hold up 7/11's for tag /$.

IdahoElk

WKR
If you're in the area the outfitter hunts most will help you out if it coincides with their day plan like shuttling clients or supplies from point a to b and they have a bunch of empty horses with just a wrangler and you have the Elk on the trail in game bags but it may be difficult to get an outfitter to make a special trip just to pack your animal out unless you offer lots of $$$$ and a wrangler wants to make extra cash on his slack time.
The above has been my personal experience, every area is probably different.

RO1459

FNG
at 74 and a solo hunter (all my past hunting partners are dead, quit hunting or unable to hunt) I looked for an outfitter in my area last year. I was told for $300 they would come get it for me. I used my inreach to contact them and before I had it completely cleaned, they were there. Even helped me finish cleaning. However, this was this only time I have used anyone other than my partners and myself to carry an elk out. 22 elk and counting.

Do what's best for you, but make arrangements prior to going into the field.