Hilleberg Niak

My favorite do all tent. I use it from August to December. Two person is generous but plenty roomy for one. I don’t think it can be beat for the weight/features.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
one of my favorites that Hillebergs makes. Lighter weight than most of their options. and a good sized interior. very solid shelter and worth it my opinion.

Norm555

WKR
I love mine, but definitely feel like it's more of a one man tent since it just has the one door. I use it a lot when I'm camping with my dog.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I love mine, but definitely feel like it's more of a one man tent since it just has the one door. I use it a lot when I'm camping with my dog.
for sure just a 1 man shelter. unless you are very comfortable with your hunting partner haha

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be nice if it was lighter, but then it would be as stout. It sets up quickly; has plenty of guy out options; as said above- roomy for one, not roomy for two; vestibule could be a little bigger, but if solo there is additional room inside the shelter and definitely storm worthy.

Storm worthiness is why I abandoned the idea of one of my lighter tents for an upcoming Dall hunt. Two years ago the outfitter (and a few hunters I talked to) said they encountered some really, really severe weather and ended up with some very damaged shelters. Once in a lifetime hunt, leaving nothing to chance :)

It would be nice if it was lighter, but then it would be as stout. It sets up quickly; has plenty of guy out options; as said above- roomy for one, not roomy for two; vestibule could be a little bigger, but if solo there is additional room inside the shelter and definitely storm worthy.

Storm worthiness is why I abandoned the idea of one of my lighter tents for an upcoming Dall hunt. Two years ago the outfitter (and a few hunters I talked to) said they encountered some really, really severe weather and ended up with some very damaged shelters. Once in a lifetime hunt, leaving nothing to chance :)

Hilleberg specs the minimum and total package weights, but what weight is yours coming in at for trail use? (No extra pole, lighter stuff sack, etc).

I know Hille doesn’t recommend it, but you could swap the standard guylines and the metal zipper pulls with zpacks cordage. I would guess there is about 4-6 oz of weight savings hiding there. Just an idea, as there are pros and cons to doing those mods.

How is the tent length compared to spec (86”)? Do you find the solid walls near your foot and head collect moisture from the fly when pitching and breaking down camp? Most solid nylon inner shelters I’ve had experience this in some way, and managing that can be tricky.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually replaced the cord with slightly heavier cord and also replaced the micro line locs with regular ones, only added a couple of ounces. The regular cord locks are much easier to use and less likely to come loose.

I replaced the 10 shorter stakes w/ 10 7" nail stakes- the handle a wider variety of terrain and hold better.

I'm at exactly 4 lbs all in (including the repair sleeve)- 4 oz over their specs.

I'd say overall length is pretty close to spot on, haven't put a tape to it, but I'm 6' and still have decent room at the head and foot.

I've not experienced much if any condensation with mine, but Montana is a little on the drier side humidity wise.

With the side entry and vestibule, you can unzip the door a bit w/o much risk of precip entering the shelter.

I'm thinking if that someone replicated (or closely replicated) the Niak in dcf, you'd probably shave 1.5 lbs off the weight. Maybe go to carbon poles for a little additional weight savings.

Yea. Good Luck.

I recently got turned on to this model. Rather interested. RE: Colors. I see many that look black. Is this simply the Green and it's that dark?

Are there real benefits to the colors? I can see the Red is readily (get it?) visible. Sand more blends into the environment.

But the dark green or black if it was available....I would guess burns off condensation very quickly and adds some free solar heat? Any reason to NOT go dark color?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think any real down side of dark; it's a tent that's going to be most likely used in cool to cold conditions.

I haven't seen any of the other colors (red or green) in person, but it's definitely green, not black (albeit dark green).

This is the sand (brown)

vCiJntD.jpg

Ten Bears

WKR
they come in the US in green, red, and sand. I recall seeing a European model that was black, never here. I own one in Sand...had a few Hillebergs in the green, the green is very dark and in the right light can look black.

I liked the green it kept light out in full moon, etc.

Graves14

WKR
It is one of my all time favorite tents. A palace for one, big enough to share with your wife, kid or dog but I'd pass on sharing it with another adult I didn't want snuggling up to me.

One huge benefit to me is the fact that its free-standing makes finding an ideal location as simple as picking it up and moving it until you are happy, then guying it out.

I am currently running an Enan for the space and weight savings but often miss my Niak.

I finally did get a chance to lay down in a Niak a few weeks ago. I’m 6’-2” and sleep on my stomach. This tent is plenty wide, but the length would have been a little tight for me even when sleeping diagonal. 86” floor length was accurate, though. It seems that the head and foot walls slant quickly and that causes the length issue about a foot up from the floor where your head and feet are. Obviously this doesn’t bother some people though, so it’s a personal preference. Also, weight came in slightly over advertised on the one I purchased (4lbs).

I personally will be preordering the Slingfin Portal 1. I like the guy line system and would trust it in high winds. The main concession is that it is not fly-first pitch, but that negative is offset by the weight. ~2.75-3lbs but at the expense of some width. Maybe not as bomber as the hille? Time will tell and I will report back once I have it in some nasty weather. Had the hille been a tad longer I would have kept it.

schmalzy

WKR
Hilleberg-Niak-3.jpg

This is for sure Black then? I see several images of the same. Color not listed as an option

Almost positive it’s the green. I have a green one and it is very very dark. Unless sun hitting it right it looks black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally did get a chance to lay down in a Niak a few weeks ago. I’m 6’-2” and sleep on my stomach. This tent is plenty wide, but the length would have been a little tight for me even when sleeping diagonal. 86” floor length was accurate, though. It seems that the head and foot walls slant quickly and that causes the length issue about a foot up from the floor where your head and feet are. Obviously this doesn’t bother some people though, so it’s a personal preference. Also, weight came in slightly over advertised on the one I purchased (4lbs).

I personally will be preordering the Slingfin Portal 1. I like the guy line system and would trust it in high winds. The main concession is that it is not fly-first pitch, but that negative is offset by the weight. ~2.75-3lbs but at the expense of some width. Maybe not as bomber as the hille? Time will tell and I will report back once I have it in some nasty weather. Had the hille been a tad longer I would have kept it.
How is the length on the Slingfin?

How is the length on the Slingfin?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm 6'2 and use a long sized quilt. Plenty of length for me and I am particularly sensitive to having my sleeping back stuffed into the wall of a tent. I've laid in a Kuiu Mountainstar before and felt quite cramped up. Not the case in this tent.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Love this tent. Light enough for early szn/summer backpack but also durable enough for later szn. 2nd season CO last year didnt think we would walk up to a foot of snow. Held up just fine