Hilleberg niak vs kuiu mountain star 2p

Barnhill06

Lil-Rokslider
Is the hilleburg worth the extra couple hundred dollars over the kuiu? Looking for a 3+ season solo tent but want the extra room so goin with the 2p tents.

Hard to go against the Hilleberg. Also look at the Stone Glacier.

I have heard great things about the Kuiu tent as well.

Hilleberg is widely considered the best in the world. Yes. It's worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I’m also looking at both the hille and kuiu. I like the weight and price of the kuiu but I have read the hilleberg are next level

For the past six years I've extensively used a Hilleberg Staika and a KUIU Morning Star for different solo applications.

I realize that the OP is not considering the Staika, nor am I encouraging it as a comparative option for the Mountain Star because it is a heavy tent at nearly nine pounds. My Staika has been with me for several canoe transport spring bear hunts, a mountain goat hunt on Kodiak, and every fall for two-week remote drop moose hunts. It is the absolutely best quality tent that I have ever owned, and it has effectively sheltered me through many a night of insanely fierce winds, sideways rain, and blowing snow storms. I totally trust that bomb-proof tent without any reservations whatsoever. It also is perfectly designed for efficient and effective venting, so I have never had a condensation problem. That said, I have heard from others that they have experienced some condensation challenges with other Hilleberg designs, so I would encourage you to check what others have to say about the tent model that you are considering.

I have used my KUIU Morning Star when I am especially weight reduced, which for me has been multiple sheep hunts, as well as numerous remote pack-raft floats. The KUIU has been great for those applications without a single failure. I even went through a snow storm on a sheep hunt with that tent, and it held well. I do want to mention that each year I apply a silicone spray to my Morning Star to enhance the water-proof shield...just to be sure. It is a very light, well vented, and super easy tent to pitch, and I'm glad I have it for the applications that I described.

If I had to buy just one tent for everything, I'm not sure I could do it! I'm serious!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    327.3 KB · Views: 67
For the past six years I've extensively used a Hilleberg Staika and a KUIU Morning Star for different solo applications.

I realize that the OP is not considering the Staika, nor am I encouraging it as a comparative option for the Mountain Star because it is a heavy tent at nearly nine pounds. My Staika has been with me for several canoe transport spring bear hunts, a mountain goat hunt on Kodiak, and every fall for two-week remote drop moose hunts. It is the absolutely best quality tent that I have ever owned, and it has effectively sheltered me through many a night of insanely fierce winds, sideways rain, and blowing snow storms. I totally trust that bomb-proof tent without any reservations whatsoever. It also is perfectly designed for efficient and effective venting, so I have never had a condensation problem. That said, I have heard from others that they have experienced some condensation challenges with other Hilleberg designs, so I would encourage you to check what others have to say about the tent model that you are considering.

I have used my KUIU Morning Star when I am especially weight reduced, which for me has been multiple sheep hunts, as well as numerous remote pack-raft floats. The KUIU has been great for those applications without a single failure. I even went through a snow storm on a sheep hunt with that tent, and it held well. I do want to mention that each year I apply a silicone spray to my Morning Star to enhance the water-proof shield...just to be sure. It is a very light, well vented, and super easy tent to pitch, and I'm glad I have it for the applications that I described.

If I had to buy just one tent for everything, I'm not sure I could do it! I'm serious!!!
Thanks for all the info.

I have a Hilleberg Nallo that I've used and abused for years in Alaska, Colo, and Wyo. I really like the Nallo because of the useable space (steep walls). I think this is likely even more important with small tents since room is so limited.

Another thing I like about the Nallo design is the huge vestibule area. It is super nice having additional room for equipment, cooking, drying clothes, etc especially on extended trips.

The third thing I like about my 4 season Nallo is that I can use the fly with 2 poles, stakes alone (without the inner tent) for early season hunts when the weather isn't bad. The fly used alone is bomber-proof and has gobs of room. Without the inner tent it is even less weight and bulk for packing! I often bring thin painter's plastic for a floor to keep things clean and dry.

If things get nasty I have the option of using the fly, inner tent, plus footprint.

Even if you decide on a different tent model it may be important to keep the features I listed in mind.

Kuiu is roomier and better ventilated for condensation. I doubt the kuiu fabric has the hydrostatic head of the hille kerlon 1000 but it doesn't seem to be an issue either.

Kuiu seems to be the more comfortable tent. I can't say if the hille would be better in wind but it would have to be to make it worth a drop in comfort and bump in price.

I have no experience with the Kuiu tent but I have a niak and love it. The setup is simple and free standing, footprint isn’t huge, vestibule is huge. It’s a ton of space for one person but big enough for both the wife and I when she wants to go. The material is remarkably strong. I removed all of the metal zipper oils and replaced them with accessory cord and shaved a few ounces.

I really can’t say enough good things about it but after trying a ton of shelters I do t see myself changing anytime soon

Maybe look at the Big Sky tents. I dont know if Kuiu copied them or Big Sky designed them for Kuiu. But they are virtually identical. You can option the Big Sky in different ways to better suit a 1p with room, all while saving weight over the Kuiu and getting into better fabrics, US made, etc. Sorta splits the difference between Kuiu and Hilli.

I was looking at the same two tents that you are. Decided I would likely go this route if I want a tent with an inner. But I'm going to explore a pyramid tent first.

Maybe look at the Big Sky tents. I dont know if Kuiu copied them or Big Sky designed them for Kuiu. But they are virtually identical. You can option the Big Sky in different ways to better suit a 1p with room, all while saving weight over the Kuiu and getting into better fabrics, US made, etc. Sorta splits the difference between Kuiu and Hilli.

I was looking at the same two tents that you are. Decided I would likely go this route if I want a tent with an inner. But I'm going to explore a pyramid tent first.

Big sky tents look like nice options but if you look at the pole layout on kuiu tents you’ll notice it’s quite a bit different from big sky tents.

i always use mine with two guys

I use it with my 14 yr old son all the time, If I go with a different group of guys sheep hunting I use it solo. I don't mind carrying 2lbs extra for the room gear storage and ability to dry gear in it as well. I'm also 6'1" and 235 lbs but it would be ok if you wanted to have 2 guys in it.

Back to the tent question is I don't think you could go wrong with either. I've only used the MS and do 40-60 days a yr in it with no issues. I use in Northern BC all the way to Oct and its been great.
Pros - Sets up real fast with fly attached
- Handles wind and snow great
- Packs small
- duel entry and vestibules
- Breathes great with vents
Con - If put away wet it takes longer time to dry with fly attached and gets inside of tent wet
- Fly is a pain to remove if need be

Back