Hiking safely in big game country

SageBear

FNG
Hi! I’m a very timid remote northern BC hiker, I jump at the sound of a squirrel. I feel better when someone has a large caliber gun. My father and husband both have health issues that mean it’s time for me to get my PAL and get my own gun.

Anyone have time to share some thoughts and recommendations?

I’ve shot mostly .22 rifles at a range, but up to a 30-30 and a .308 and some .22 handguns. I’m not into hunting (if you are, cool beans, no hate obv), I’m only planning on shooting in a self defense situation. Most likely culprit will be moose or grizzly (proooooooobably moose. Ornery jerks). So my heart rate and breathing will be off and it’ll be a fast situation. My large off leash dog will be a draw and also will probably get in the way. So accuracy will be key. If people have thoughts about whether he should leashed (I have a bungee waist leash) I’m accepting opinions. He is a giant puppy still (barely 2 years) and current training goals have been reactivity based. I have neglected recall, and I’m realizing I need to rectify that. I’ve built in trigger words to get his attention, but reliability is untested with wildlife.

I have MS and my hands are less functional than I’d like. So an oversized bolt would be great, and overall weight is an BIG factor (I’m still safe with a gun, I don’t have spasms, it’s just slightly numb hands and general weakness).

I’ll be spending a lot of time at the range with whatever I end up with. Again, accuracy. I want as good a chance at a one shot kill as possible while avoiding shooting my over-excited puppy.

Specifically I’d love info on:

Sights/scope preferences. I love good old iron sights but I feel like that’s not the best in the situations I’m anticipating.

Caliber: I lean towards a 338 win mag, but that’s not a very informed opinion. I want stopping power. Kick is not a major concern, unless someone thinks that’s naive. I’m a bigger girl, and an experienced shooter. My bruised shoulder days were over thankfully long ago. Even in a quick situation, I feel like I’ll automatically seat it pretty well.

Action: I love me a bolt action. Thoughts?

The magazine (term?): I read a few reviews of a savage where after the first round it habitually jammed. I don’t know what I’m asking specifically, other than I’d like shell ejection to be smooth and functional so I’m not unalived if the first shot is wild.

I’m leaning towards centrefire because I’ve heard power and accuracy is better. Not interested in reloading but my father loves collecting brass for that so it’s another reason.

Make: I have zero brand loyalty as all I’ve ever shot are my father’s guns. He tells me what they are and the scope details and all that.. and he’s put a fair amount of money into his setups.. but I’m not really gun inclined so it goes in and then out the other ear.

Thank you!! I know I’m asking a lot, any info is helpful. While I’ve spent many many hours at the range with my Dad, I’ve always relied on my more experienced family to make choices while I just showed up, and now I need to Big Girl Up and look after this stuff myself :)

Bonus points for a recommendation for a light .22 bolt action without a scope, targets at the range is my jam and I like a quiet *bang* outside of life-or-death situations lol

I tried to attach a picture of my bonehead dog because I love him, but I think as a newbie my permissions are restricted. He’s cute tho, just trust me :)

Looking at the list of cartridges you’ve shot, stay away from the .338 WM. Yes, it packs punch, but it very well may cause you to miss because of heavy recoil. Lots of practice would be required to shoot such a round under duress.

I agree with others above, an auto loader would be the best for your self defense needs. That may be difficult to obtain in Canada? Perhaps a lever action like the .30-.30 you mentioned above? A bolt action will work fine, but will require lots of practice cycling the bolt in a bear/moose close encounter. At the end of the day, whatever you choose will require a lot of practice for self defense.

I suggest a lighter cartridge/caliber with a shorter barrel that YOU can shoot well. It must be comfortable for you to carry…or, you won’t carry it.

If it is for close encounters, iron sights, a red dot or a LVPO (low power variable optic) will be your best choices.

A muzzle brake will tame recoil greatly, but will also make the firearm extremely loud. I don’t think you can own suppressors there…too bad.

I’d be inclined to recommend a lever action gun in any number of cartridges with the right bullets, from a 30-30 to 45-70. They are compact, fast to operate, easy to sight in as you don’t need a scope on it as you could run open sights or a red dot sight for close range defense. Also, they are super cool!

wesfromky

WKR
Hi! I’m a very timid remote northern BC hiker, I jump at the sound of a squirrel. I feel better when someone has a large caliber gun. My father and husband both have health issues that mean it’s time for me to get my PAL and get my own gun.

Anyone have time to share some thoughts and recommendations?

I’ve shot mostly .22 rifles at a range, but up to a 30-30 and a .308 and some .22 handguns. I’m not into hunting (if you are, cool beans, no hate obv), I’m only planning on shooting in a self defense situation. Most likely culprit will be moose or grizzly (proooooooobably moose. Ornery jerks). So my heart rate and breathing will be off and it’ll be a fast situation. My large off leash dog will be a draw and also will probably get in the way. So accuracy will be key. If people have thoughts about whether he should leashed (I have a bungee waist leash) I’m accepting opinions. He is a giant puppy still (barely 2 years) and current training goals have been reactivity based. I have neglected recall, and I’m realizing I need to rectify that. I’ve built in trigger words to get his attention, but reliability is untested with wildlife.

I have MS and my hands are less functional than I’d like. So an oversized bolt would be great, and overall weight is an BIG factor (I’m still safe with a gun, I don’t have spasms, it’s just slightly numb hands and general weakness).

I’ll be spending a lot of time at the range with whatever I end up with. Again, accuracy. I want as good a chance at a one shot kill as possible while avoiding shooting my over-excited puppy.

Specifically I’d love info on:

Sights/scope preferences. I love good old iron sights but I feel like that’s not the best in the situations I’m anticipating.

Caliber: I lean towards a 338 win mag, but that’s not a very informed opinion. I want stopping power. Kick is not a major concern, unless someone thinks that’s naive. I’m a bigger girl, and an experienced shooter. My bruised shoulder days were over thankfully long ago. Even in a quick situation, I feel like I’ll automatically seat it pretty well.

Action: I love me a bolt action. Thoughts?

The magazine (term?): I read a few reviews of a savage where after the first round it habitually jammed. I don’t know what I’m asking specifically, other than I’d like shell ejection to be smooth and functional so I’m not unalived if the first shot is wild.

I’m leaning towards centrefire because I’ve heard power and accuracy is better. Not interested in reloading but my father loves collecting brass for that so it’s another reason.

Make: I have zero brand loyalty as all I’ve ever shot are my father’s guns. He tells me what they are and the scope details and all that.. and he’s put a fair amount of money into his setups.. but I’m not really gun inclined so it goes in and then out the other ear.

Thank you!! I know I’m asking a lot, any info is helpful. While I’ve spent many many hours at the range with my Dad, I’ve always relied on my more experienced family to make choices while I just showed up, and now I need to Big Girl Up and look after this stuff myself :)

Bonus points for a recommendation for a light .22 bolt action without a scope, targets at the range is my jam and I like a quiet *bang* outside of life-or-death situations lol

I tried to attach a picture of my bonehead dog because I love him, but I think as a newbie my permissions are restricted. He’s cute tho, just trust me :)
I would very much encourage you to watch this and maybe re-evaluate what you think you might need for self defense in the woods.

OP
SageBear

SageBear

FNG
Marlin 1895 Trapper 45-70 or a Beretta 1301 Comp 21”
Hot dang those both look great! LOVING the Marlin. Shorter barrel, large lever action (someone else recommended this and upon reflection I think they’re right with my hands), and 7.1lbs. Excellent advice from everyone, I appreciate you all!!!

ElPollo

WKR
Being that you are in Canada and handguns are not a thing, Mossberg 590 20 ga loaded with slugs and put a sling on it. 20 ga has less recoil and is easier to shoot. Muzzleblast isn’t as bad as a centerfire rifle either. Practice with it using cheap, light birdshot loads to get familiar with the action, but make sure you can hit with those slugs out to 20-25 yards. Don’t bother with buckshot in a 20 ga.

OP
SageBear

SageBear

FNG
I would very much encourage you to watch this and maybe re-evaluate what you think you might need for self defense in the woods.

Halfway thru, and so far agreed, totally. That’s why accuracy is so dang important for me, the headshot is the stopping shot. The surprise for me is that they say a .22 can do it. Waiting for more detail. Fascinated, this is a great video!

ElPollo

WKR
Hot dang those both look great! LOVING the Marlin. Shorter barrel, large lever action (someone else recommended this and upon reflection I think they’re right with my hands), and 7.1lbs. Excellent advice from everyone, I appreciate you all!!!
45-70 leverguns have substantial recoil and can be hard to handle for inexperienced shooters. If you are going the lever gun route. Stick with a 30-30, 357, or 44 mag.

tater

WKR
Another option is an old Winchester 100 Semi-auto in .308.
Easy to carry, low recoil and five fast shots that will remain legal regardless of what political winds blow. Mount the optic that works for you and get some 165gr factory ammo and practice.
Popular guns across western Canada in the 60's and early 70's and they are fairly easy to find. Just beware that magazines are tricky to come by.

OP
SageBear

SageBear

FNG
Being that you are in Canada and handguns are not a thing, Mossberg 590 20 ga loaded with slugs and put a sling on it. 20 ga has less recoil and is easier to shoot. Muzzleblast isn’t as bad as a centerfire rifle either. Practice with it using cheap, light birdshot loads to get familiar with the action, but make sure you can hit with those slugs out to 20-25 yards. Don’t bother with buckshot in a 20 ga.
Handguns are a thing! You need a special “restricted” pass, which requires extra education. My dad and brother have both done this, which is how I have experience with them (I can shoot at a range under their supervision). I would be open to that, especially after listening to the above video. BUT I am much much more experienced with light rifles. And am therefore a whole ton more accurate with a rifle. I’ve got a lot to think about.

OP
SageBear

SageBear

FNG
shotgun would be the choice.
This was the ex’s choice too. He put a sling on and off we went. It’s been mentioned a few times! I just.. I don’t know, I’ve never warmed to them. Maybe it’s because the ones I’ve shot were girthy and I have tiny little (numb) hands. You all are amazing. I’m very grateful for all the replies :)

ElPollo

WKR
Handguns are a thing! You need a special “restricted” pass, which requires extra education. My dad and brother have both done this, which is how I have experience with them (I can shoot at a range under their supervision). I would be open to that, especially after listening to the above video. BUT I am much much more experienced with light rifles. And am therefore a whole ton more accurate with a rifle. I’ve got a lot to think about.
Given what you’re saying, a light lever gun in 357 or 44 would likely be the way to go. A 20” barrel version would have more capacity than a 30-30 or 45-70 and would recoil less.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, the best combination of Canada Legal and I Want That When a Bear is in My Face, would be an M1 Garand, with the railed front handguard and an Aimpoint PRO red dot.
But that's a 4 foot long (1.3 meter) 12 pound (3.5 bags of milk) thing. I don't even carry that when I'm actively looking for bears, let alone out for a walk.

44 Mag lever gun
-Probably legal
-Way shorter and lighter so you might actually carry it.
-Won't trash your shoulder so you might actually practice with it
-Good enough for bears

OP
SageBear

SageBear

FNG
Ding si
Another option is an old Winchester 100 Semi-auto in .308.
Easy to carry, low recoil and five fast shots that will remain legal regardless of what political winds blow. Mount the optic that works for you and get some 165gr factory ammo and practice.
Popular guns across western Canada in the 60's and early 70's and they are fairly easy to find. Just beware that magazines are tricky to come by
Ding ding ding!! We may have a winner! I love an older wood rifle. I’ve had a look, I think I’m going to get one of these regardless. After getting familiar it may-or-may-not be my bush gun, but I need one. Legit need, not want lol

OP
SageBear

SageBear

FNG
One thought, do you all not have moose where you’re at? Everyone is talking about bears. I’m pretty experienced back country, my father was a wildlife biologist for 30+ years and taught me a whole lot he learned from that. Both of us consider moose by far the greater threat. Not even close. They are enormous, cranky, ornery, unpredictable. Stupid, which is good, but absolutely huge and will charge because they ate something sour earlier and are mad at you about it.

Grizzly are scary to be sure, but they don’t escalate as easily outside mama situations. Obv don’t get complacent around fat fuzzy black bears no matter how many times you’ve seen them, but moose are what gets my heart rate high every damn time.

Last winter we were out with the dogs and found some giant still steaming turds. No gun. I tell you, it was both arms up, coat over arms, leash the dogs, and get the heck outta there as loudly as possible while still listening for crashing towards us.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
We have moose where I am and when they are problematic in town, the officials who go out to remedy the problem are always doing it with a shotgun. Certainly there are other ways to dispatch a moose, but generally if they know that is the issue, they take a shotgun.