Hiking pants

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a decent hiking pants. Not looking to spend a fortune. Any recommendations? Thanks

*zap*

WKR
US military combat pants are hard to beat for around $50 or less. Good pockets and they have exterior knee pad pockets. There are other very similar military pants that have no knee pad pockets but the 'combat' uniform pant has them. The PCU L5 shell pant the military uses are also pretty good for over the other pant if its damp/windy/colder. The acu camo pattern can be had for really inexpensive and multicam will run about double. You can pick up pant and shell in acu for under $75. Its a pretty good system for the $. Knee pad pockets are VERY nice to have and so much better than an exterior strap on knee pad. Removable foam knee pads are available on ebay…'EMT uniform knee pad insert', get xxl and cut to fit. You can get knee and elbow pad set and cut/fit then double and duct tape together so you have more pad where you need it. I have pads that I did that to which last for years. Its hard to find USA made clothes that will last for years for that kind of $ and if you can deal with the camo pattern options it is a good purchase.

grfox92

WKR
Wrangler Outdoors Performance Series Flex pants. Wal Mart sells them for $24 and has fleece line for $26.

I wore them ever day for 10 days in North West Wyoming and wear them all the time around the house and working. They look brand new and have no rips tears or in threading.

Do a search on Wrangler and you will find plenty of threads on them. I won't be buying any higher end pants as of right now because I don't see the need. These are similar to slot of VERY expensive pants. I wore the fleece lined version in 8* temperatures in the snow in the Adirondacks and they worked great.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great suggestion. I have both the flex and fleece lined from Wally World. Beat the snot out of them throughout the season. I will put the non-lined to the test come spring with several multi-night backpacking trips.

I'll add the Swiss Tech pants from Wal-Mart as well.

YMMV

Jason

Wrangler Outdoors Performance Series Flex pants. Wal Mart sells them for $24 and has fleece line for $26.

I wore them ever day for 10 days in North West Wyoming and wear them all the time around the house and working. They look brand new and have no rips tears or in threading.

Do a search on Wrangler and you will find plenty of threads on them. I won't be buying any higher end pants as of right now because I don't see the need. These are similar to slot of VERY expensive pants. I wore the fleece lined version in 8* temperatures in the snow in the Adirondacks and they worked great.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for the wrangler flex, probably getting the fleece lined version too.

grfox92

WKR
Another vote for the wrangler flex, probably getting the fleece lined version too.
between the fleece lined and regular I feel like I'm covered for 100% of my hunting.

I have to echo what the others have said I have the unlined version and wore them on a job in savanna Georgia in October and they were great. When it’s cold not so great but I’m sure the right base layers and they would be fine or the lined version. Great value for the money.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
between the fleece lined and regular I feel like I'm covered for 100% of my hunting.

That’s what I’m thinking too. I’ve been living in my base layer under them at work, 15-40 degrees. I’m hoping with the fleece lined pants and base layer (if needed) I can fill the gap when puffy pants are too much. Also those days when it stays around 20 all day the fleece lined with base should be just right.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above replies. I have the lined and unlined wranglers and wear them all the time. I like these better than other brands i have tried. They really hold up well. For what its worth, the fleece lined ones are my favorite pair of pants!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
That’s what I’m thinking too. I’ve been living in my base layer under them at work, 15-40 degrees. I’m hoping with the fleece lined pants and base layer (if needed) I can fill the gap when puffy pants are too much. Also those days when it stays around 20 all day the fleece lined with base should be just right.
I hunted for 8 hours (walking) this year in 12 inches of snow it was between 8-12 degrees.

I wore Black Ovis midweight merino and my fleece lined Wranglers. I was perfectly comfortable both walking and stopping for 10-20 minutes at a time. I also didn't wear Gaiters and had no moisture issues.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted for 8 hours (walking) this year in 12 inches of snow it was between 8-12 degrees.

I wore Black Ovis midweight merino and my fleece lined Wranglers. I was perfectly comfortable both walking and stopping for 10-20 minutes at a time. I also didn't wear Gaiters and had no moisture issues.

Exactly what I was expecting. I’m sure my puffy pants will still come out for long sits

bruno59

WKR
Like all the posts above those wrangler pants for the price are the best eddie bauer guide pants also but for $22 the wranglers are a steal i have beat mine up all summer long and they still look good

Agross

WKR
Another vote for the wranglers. I just discovered these for the first time a few months ago. I picked up the fleece lined ones and wear them all the time. They still look new. They are so comfortable. Wish I would have found these a long time ago. As soon as the weather warms up I'll get a couple of the unlined.

260madman

WKR
Knock it off with the Wrangler talk. They’ll sell out or the price will jump. ;)