Hiking Order with wife/kids?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna probably sound like a simpleton for asking, but here goes. Will be doing some hiking with my wife and kids (11 & 13 yo girls) in grizzly country, I'll have a 10mm and the Mrs will have spray. She is inexperienced in bear country and would probably panic. My daughters are young and would probably poop their shorts if there was an encounter. All that said, while hiking as a family in grizzly country would it be best for me to be in the lead or in the rear to be able to keep an eye on everything? Feel like in front would be best because if nothing I could sprinkle some ketchup on my torso while looking delicious as my family vacates the area 😀. Thanks in advance.

grfox92

WKR
I live in grizzly country, and when I'm out with my family I'm in the lead and my wife is in the back with the kids in between.

We have our two Mountain Curs with us as well which adds another layer of protection..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I'm lucky if I can keep my kids (7, 11, and 13) in sight... but hey, at least they make a lot of noise!

Random grizzly attacks on groups are exceptionally rare, so the main thing is to keep somewhat close. I'm only half successful at that, but I haven't lost anyone either... On family hikes, I figure spray is usually the first line of defense. Although I have years of bear defense training for work, I really don't want to have to figure out a safe field of fire with kids underfoot.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you think wife will panic, might consider not going. That could turn into a bad situation. But again, if the kids pooped their pants, the bear might run from the smell.

jimh406

WKR
Be close enough together that it won't matter much. I know it is a challenge to keep a tight group with kids. That being said, the gun should likely be in back with spray in front.

Dogs aren't protection against Grizzlies, they are potential attractants and natural enemies. It's the reason they aren't allowed on trails in Glacier, Yellowstone, or Tetons.

Here's an article that explains why dogs aren't a good thing in Grizzly country. https://www.bigskyfishing.com/camping/camping-hiking-dog/

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
If you think wife will panic, might consider not going. That could turn into a bad situation. But again, if the kids pooped their pants, the bear might run from the smell.
Panic isn't the right way to put it. my wife (whom I love very much) when put under pressure usually just goes blank. Kinda paralysis by analysis. Correct about the poop, will also be very slippery for the bear to run after them on :).

Appreciate everyone's input so far.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
You want the wife in front, then you with the kids in the back. If there's a bear you can push the wife at the bear, then grab the kids and run. There's a 75% chance she's eventually going to take half your money anyway. ;)
She can have it. You know why divorce is so expensive..... ?

Because it's worth it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
You guys are cracking me up. Coming from someone still making a monthly donation!

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Doesnt matter.
You forgot about the lions.
They'll sneak in from the back.
Got it! So wife at the front, the pain in the a$$ kid at the back, me and "the good one" in the middle.

Wasted mental energy. Go for a hike.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with this philosophy. Better chance of getting shot in downtown Milwaukee than having a grizz chew on my leg in NW Wyoming.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With the family I always have to be in the back, otherwise they can't keep up with me. But I also like to be able to see everyone, so they need to be in front of me on both accounts.

Htm84

WKR
Statistically speaking four people have a just about zero percent chance of being attacked by a bear.

ODB

WKR
Wife, kid, me. The wife is self-admittedly bad at paying attention, whereas my head is constantly on a swivel. I will often stop and look around for a few steps then catch back up.

TheGDog

WKR
Hrmm... my guess would be if you put your wife in front, she'll just naturally handle yelling at them to remain within visual line-of-sight.

You being out back (I've often done sweep with the scouts both as Cub Scouts and as regular Scouts) you'll be dealing with the ones that are pooping-out all the time and require a bunch of "encouragement" to keep-up with the group.

ODB

WKR
Hrmm... my guess would be if you put your wife in front, she'll just naturally handle yelling at them to remain within visual line-of-sight.

You being out back (I've often done sweep with the scouts both as Cub Scouts and as regular Scouts) you'll be dealing with the ones that are pooping-out all the time and require a bunch of "encouragement" to keep-up with the group.

Put it this way, we don’t need three people staring straight ahead…if I’m in the front NO one is checking left/right/ behind…they are just talking along. My daughter is MUCH better though as she’s gotten older (she will shepherd he friends away from sketchy people they don’t see), but i still like to see everything.

I’m like both a white and black rhino. When it’s open country I’ll let them go ahead so I can watch, like a white rhino, when it’s time to bust brush or lead the way out, they will follow me as I take the risks and make the decisions - like a black rhino.