Hiking in Colorado- Soda Lakes

bozeman

WKR
Plan to do some hiking/camping and was looking at the Soda Lakes with a fly rod for my CO trip......any feedback on the road to Soda Lake trailhead? 4X4 truck only or more ATV/UTV terrain? Is it halfway decently maintained for summertime?
Thanks!

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
What time of year? If it's the area north of Vail there is still snow that won't be melted off until late July IMO. There are snow drifts 8+ ft high on Elliot's Ridge nearby.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
yes, late July. north of Vail, but it looks like I can go north in Silverton and get around to Soda Lakes trailhead, hike in that way. Just wandering about roads and maintenance up that way. I have been told its beautiful up there, so piqued my interest if we go back to Glennwood Springs. Anyone ever call CO D&T and get any decent info? Thought about just trying that.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
It's federal land so I would call them

But you are in luck ...since I might be one of the one or two people that live nearby.

Do not attempt coming from spring Creek near Elliot's ridge unless you have a jeep or a mid size...it's very narrow with no space to turn around as you descend into sheephorn area. There's a couple mud holes and a couple spots you need to take good lines on but overall not hard. Just not worth it...it actually takes more time to head that way then coming from Trough Road.

I have not taken Chimney Rock road in a long time ...but 4x4 is a must and prepare for mud/ruts. Sheephorn is pretty well maintained on the way there.

We were just above median snowpack this year and I checked Elliot on Sunday... Still 8 ft drifts up there and the trail is impassable. Soda is about 500 ft lower but more shaded...If you ping me in a few weeks I will probably be doing that route.

Last edited: