High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone, thanks for following and all the nice compliments on the buck. Glad you like him. He's not a giant, but a pretty good buck, taping out close to 180. Good and heavy, too.

Just got back last night, so I'll get you some photos and video put together on the hunt. It was pretty short! I found him about 10 minutes into the first morning. More to come...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BuckSnort

WKR
Great buck! Congrat's on the hard work and thanks for the live hunt..And thanks to Jodi as well for the updates...

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
Regardless of score that buck is cool..... I love the mass! To kill 2 180 type bucks on general season tags in a state that is managed for quantity not quality, is something that can only be accomplished by the most dedicated of deer hunters. You continue to prove year after year that you are truly blessed in the ways of the MULEY!!!

Hardstalk

WKR
One of my favorite things about following your hunts are critiquing the hero shots. Your last image is the one I really focus on.

1. Carhart bibs
2. Fleece shirt
3. Random polo under the fleece
4. Not an inch of high priced technologically superior camo.

The point im getting at. I can imagine robby packing for a hunt. "Eh, this looks warm. Kinda dirty because i wore it last week. Oh well"

It proves to me that as long as you are willing to work, know what you are doing, and the big man is willing you can take a trophy class animal.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You guys make me laugh!
"Eh, this looks warm. Kinda dirty because i wore it last week. Oh well"
I have said that exact thing before!

Hunting mule deer late doesn't change the fact that I still sit a lot and glass, so I really pile on the clothes. I even use the boot heaters shaped like a sole.

Muleyman, thanks for the kind words, but I would say that anyone who really applies himself in any western state can take good bucks...

2rocky

WKR
One of my favorite things about following your hunts are critiquing the hero shots. Your last image is the one I really focus on.

1. Carhart bibs
2. Fleece shirt
3. Random polo under the fleece
4. Not an inch of high priced technologically superior camo.

The point im getting at. I can imagine robby packing for a hunt. "Eh, this looks warm. Kinda dirty because i wore it last week. Oh well"

It proves to me that as long as you are willing to work, know what you are doing, and the big man is willing you can take a trophy class animal.

I thought the same thing but wasn't brave enough to write it!

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto. You don't need to spend hundreds of $$ on camo, sent blocking clothes to effectively hunt...
Just don’t tell my wife or she will cut my hunting budget.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
you guys are funny! Kuiu or Kryptek overalls would be the cat's meow.

Honestly, I've just bought what I could afford from clothes to trucks to horses over the years and got by pretty good. I don't discount the modern camo and synthetics at all, just had to stay on budget.

Also, I'm not a hard-core backpacker and using horses keeps me from having to count ounces like a backpacker would. They demand the highest performance that can be had, where I have been able to get by with less all these years. I really can't say either way if more high performance gear would have increased my success over the years, but I do know it wouldn't have hurt my chances.

Talking with Rokslide partner Aron Snyder, though, it looks like I might have a little better clothing budget this next season, so I'll be able to step out of the 1980's! We hope to put an article together as I make this transition. I'm confident the new is more comfortable than the old and will share with you what I learn

He agrees, too, that it has to start with how you hunt before any of this other stuff can make a difference.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a few questions from Roksliders on using horses in the backcountry, packing meat, etc. Here's about a 9 minute video from my trip that shows a little of everything.

The first sequence shows how to use a basket hitch to tie a buck (bull, whatever) on a horse for the packout.

[video=vimeo;53198480]http://vimeo.com/53198480[/video]

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
your time is truly appreciated! good video and even though it was 9 minutes im sure it took alot more than that to make it. has all of your packing/hunting on horseback been from the school of hardknocks? or can you suggest a book or two? thanks again for your time.

BuckSnort

WKR
Robby thanks for the video, sometimes I think going in on horseback is just as much work if not more than with a heavy backpack... Good stock sure is hard to beat though and it seems like you have some great animals...

Hardstalk, I know you're question was directed towards Robby but "Blue Creeks Trail Riding, Packing And Training" is a great buck written by guides/outfitters, lot's of great info... http://www.amazon.com/Outfittings-Complete-Riding-Packing-Training/dp/0973469404

2rocky

WKR
Nice video Robby. I think your horses are camera shy from the look your pack horse and grey riding horse gave.

I 'm glad to see someone with Panniers using what we call a "Box hitch" to pull the side loads up and away from the horse. Too many folks don't take the step to pack a lash cinch.

BTW what we call a basket is the sling we use on the side loads when we have mantied loads instead of panniers. Funny how terms are interchangable, but we know what each other is talking about.

You look like you are pretty dang well mounted. Your daughter is lucky to have some reliable horses to grow up with.