High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

Love Robby's live hunts, I think there is more than one of us on here that is living vicariously through him. Good luck, hope you knock down a masher. Be safe.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for following. About another hour to the trailhead then it will be Jodi updating from here. Weather is great, almost too great with unseasonably mild temps forecasted through Tuesday. At least glassing will be good.
attachment.php

I saw a few questions on horses in the backcountry posted. I can hit a few now.

With conditioning, most horses do fine in the backcountry. A key skill they need is to be able to handle a picket stake so you can graze them daily. Never trust an untied horse to stick around, no matter how many of his buddies are tied. They will eventually pull a stupid move and head for the truck or if another horse gets loose, they pair up and go. You lose lots of hunting days.

I'll pack in some hay pellets, but you can't bring enough to sustain a horse for a week so grazing is essential.

I've kept horses as long as 15 days in the backcountry. It's lots of work to keep them fed, but few places way back in this late in the year can be hunted without them. To hunt right, you need a woodburner to dry clothes daily.

Although they are lots of work, they are at the top of my list for effectively hunting the backcountry in the late seasons.

I try not to separate the horses if I'm in the deer country as they will whinny constantly announcing your presence.

Last edited:

Jodi

Super Moderator
Well, the kids and I decided to have an adventure and drop Robby and the horses off at the trail head, then go get him when he is done with his hunt.

Before we left, we had to load the horses. We have the horses on a pasture we don't normally use, so when trying to load the ones he was taking, the other two that were not going on the trip got out and starting running down the road-with cars stopping....and a crazy hunter-guy chasing after them. Luckily, no one was hurt and the horses ran back into the pasture pretty quickly realizing "there's no place like home".

Upon reaching the trail head, we had a good time helping to get the horses and gear ready, and the kids did some exploring. It's strange to see your husband going off into the wilderness with three horses, a rifle and no buddies-only his Spot Messenger.

So, the kids and I decide to stop in this little diner for dinner on the way home and realize the tire was hissing. Thank God there were two local men there who helped patch the tire while we had dinner (lucky us). I was blessed and humbled as to how they just dropped everything to help a lady and her three young children. If we had not stopped for dinner, we would have been stranded on the side of the road.... God bless those men at the diner!

And finally, I was almost home and realized I had left the house key.... in the house..... so had to run around to family members who had a spare key to get us in.

Long story, but the moral is one that Robby has told me for years... "It takes a lot of work to have fun!".

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodi

Super Moderator
From Robby, "Long ride in. Leaves gone off the brush, some old snow, some bare hillsides. Still a mile to go, but last chance for cell service. Forecast is for warm and dry. I like snow and cold for this hunt but at least I won't get fogged in. Get camp set up by dark, horses hobbled and fed, then to bed. Till tomorrow..."

From Robby, "Long ride in. Leaves gone off the brush, some old snow, some bare hillsides. Still a mile to go, but last chance for cell service. Forecast is for warm and dry. I like snow and cold for this hunt but at least I won't get fogged in. Get camp set up by dark, horses hobbled and fed, then to bed. Till tomorrow..."

Thank you for updating Jodi! I hope he comes out with a good buck and gets back safe n sound as I'm sure he will! ;)

Jodi

Super Moderator
Rob sent this early this morning, and just now getting time to put the post on Rokslide.

"Jodi and the kids watched me ride away from the trail head as the sun set low and shadows filled the canyon around me. It felt a little less lonely than other times as I headed into the back-country having them there. I'll never forget those little hands waving good-bye to me as the horses settled in to the familiar trail they know so well.

At about six miles, I cut the tracks of a pack of wolves with one track much larger than the others. Every year I see more wolf sign here.

Got to camp just as darkness was setting in. Was so glad to see that old green army tent still standing where I left it nearly a month ago. As I unpacked and unsaddled the horses, I felt the awesomeness (is that a word?) of it all set in: a billion stars shining above, three horses I trust my life to, and surrounded by some of my favorite deer country on God's green earth. It feels good to be here!

Up at 5am, out of camp by 6:30. Plan is to hunt/glass some heavy Quakie country where I've see just a few giants over the years. Days like this I thank God I'm a deer hunter! Robby"

Jodi

Super Moderator
Got one! About a twin to the other buck. About 180 gross
Robby

Attachments

• Twin buck.jpg
    Twin buck.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 278

2rocky

WKR
Well done Robby. Are you going top be able to get camp and buck out in one trip? If so will you walk or ride out?

Jodi

Super Moderator
Well done Robby. Are you going top be able to get camp and buck out in one trip? If so will you walk or ride out?
He brought three horses so he could ride out. I'm sure he will detail his story when he gets home.