High Country Handguns for defense

chindits

WKR
On the flip side I did have to fire a weapon off duty a couple years ago in Peach Valley, CO while car camping after dirtbiking. I had some punks try to roll me in camp. But I still consider that as being in a populated area where the associated dregs of society will reveal themselves rather than out in the woods in my element.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone carrying a judge? I dont, I carry an xd .40 in black bear country (would definitely want more firepower in Grizz country) but a friend of mine keeps offering his judge up for .45 long colt or .410 slugs. Think I am going to stick with the weapon that I know the best which is the xd.

I really dont like carrying a gun on backpack hunting trips in black bear country because it is a P.I.T.A. and might not be necessary but better safe than sorry and I sure aint relying on spray.

The judge I shot with 45 lc was horribly inaccurate.

MattB

WKR
I occasionally carry when not hunting, but carrying a second weapon when hunting seems redundant to me. The only place I have carried a firearm for backup on a bowhunt was on Kodiak.

Mosby

WKR
I carry a Glock 20 with hard cast bullets carried in a chest holster I got from a guy in Montana. I can wear my pack with the holster and have full access to the pistol. I bought it for spring bear hunting in NW Montana this year. I grew up in Pennsylvania, so black bear don't really spook me. Grizzly bears and cougars get my attention.

Takeem406

WKR
I carry a Glock 20 with hard cast bullets carried in a chest holster I got from a guy in Montana. I can wear my pack with the holster and have full access to the pistol. I bought it for spring bear hunting in NW Montana this year. I grew up in Pennsylvania, so black bear don't really spook me. Grizzly bears and cougars get my attention.
Cougars get my attention too

Brendan

WKR
I have a 329PD. I haven't shot it much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the recoil shooting 240gr loads. I do have a replacement grip, but was expecting worse based on it's weight.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
G20 in a wilderness tactical conceal carry holster. Nobody even knows what it is strapped to my pack

desertcj

WKR
Kahr CW9....love it. Not for bears, but I'm sure I could kill a black bear with it. You'll never see the cat that get's you, so whatever. Let's me sleep well at night when I think about the crazies in the hills...lol.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in Black Bear country and wolf country a lot and never really worry about a side arm for protection except for against the two legged kind. My goto carry pistol is a 1911 compact 45. The round is fat, slow and packs a hell of a punch, just like me. The 1911 although a heavier gun is slimmer with the single stack so it does seem more comfortable than the Glock I used to carry.

desertcj

WKR
I hunt in Black Bear country and wolf country a lot and never really worry about a side arm for protection except for against the two legged kind. My goto carry pistol is a 1911 compact 45. The round is fat, slow and packs a hell of a punch, just like me. The 1911 although a heavier gun is slimmer with the single stack so it does seem more comfortable than the Glock I used to carry.

I used to carry a 1911 Officer and I loved that thing! Damn was it heavy though....

Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt with 3 or 4 hot loads & 2 or 3 snake shot in a blade tek holster with tek lok or in my Hill people gear kit bag. I carry this for off season scouting only. I prefer a revolver for the ability to quickly spin from bearshot to snakeshot in a couple of seconds. Ive only had one sow look at me crossways, bears don't scare me much. I don't have much tolerance for rattlers who wont move outta my way though. Maybe its just me, but I see more & more cases of bear spray failing & only two cases of a handgun failing to stop an attack over the years. One of those handgun failures involved a .22 against a polar bear which didn't penetrate the hide, the other was a doctor on an elk hunt who failed to draw because he couldn't unsnap his retention strap in time. I also believe studies about guns vs. spray are often carried out by anti gun types. Just my .02.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
G19 for everyday.
G20 for the woods. Sometimes don't take on a sheep hunt, but otherwise always have it.
I use a variety of different holsters depending on the trip. I like Safariland, JM Custom Kydex, & the Hills People Kit Bag.

I don't have the luxury of tons of training. However, I do try to take a class now and then. Everything I do with is with Glocks. I can switch around between them and the muscle memory stays with me. I can also dump 15 rounds (on target) of 200gr lead cast 10mm bullets a heck of a lot faster than heavy duty bear loads out of my .44mag S&W Mt Gun. Some folks are crazy accurate and fast with a wheel gun, but I don't train enough to be fast at both so focus on the Glock platform. Might all be mental mumble jumble, but sometimes winning the battle in your mind is the edge you need.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
Love my wheel gun, another Blackhawk 45 lc. Shooting a 325 gr cast lead bullet@ 1300 fps w 1170ft /lbs of energy! Thats gonna be a hard pill to swallow. Those ballistics will make the autos run and hide! Im gonna focus and take 1 or 2 shots and make em count, no sprayin n prayin!! Plus i know if i jerk that hammer back and squeeze, that gun IS goin off! No jams. I also carry bear spray in SW MT. Figure last chance if im rolling around getting chewed on im gonna dump that can while its still on my hip and hope the bear cant handle spicy food!

Vids

WKR
I was debating between a Glock and a Springfield, I ended up a purchasing a Springfield XDM .40 tonight. The Glocks sure seem popular, but for some reason the grip on those felt like I was holding a 2x4, the Springfield just felt natural in my hand. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend!

I wanted it mainly for scouting and for solo bow hunting, just because you never know and I'd rather have one than be in a situation where I wished I did.

Trial153

WKR
I am thinking I take my Glock 43 along this year..... Maybe my Fn compact ..

husky390

WKR
I was debating between a Glock and a Springfield, I ended up a purchasing a Springfield XDM .40 tonight. The Glocks sure seem popular, but for some reason the grip on those felt like I was holding a 2x4, the Springfield just felt natural in my hand. Can't wait to shoot it this weekend!

I wanted it mainly for scouting and for solo bow hunting, just because you never know and I'd rather have one than be in a situation where I wished I did.

I have the same issues with the Glocks. CZ's, XD's, and flat main spring housing 1911's fit my hand perfectly but the Glocks, not so much. The plain Gen 4 Glock is the best fit I can find. Enjoy your XDm. I have an XD45 and it's a tack driver.

husky390

WKR
With 240gr it really isn't bad but it hurts with 305's. I have the Taurus ultralite which is around an oz heavier but still weighs less then my glock 10mm. Really it isn't as bad as you think either way.

I second this. 300gr loads are not very pleasant and require a very heavy crimp if you reload.