Hide-A-Key

wapitibob

WKR
most new vehicles wont let you lock the door with the key inside, my bronco wont allow it.

Not on a 2020 f150, lock mine in there all the time.

I put the magnetic hide a key on the frame rail. I got a dual key setup from the lock smith and don't have a factory type fob. Elements haven't been an issue for 3 years and 95,000 miles.

I've had my magnetic hide a key hidden in the underside of my '89 Toyota for 35 years without issue with snow or rough roads. But it's also not like some of the new hide-a-keys with crap for magnets. It takes some effort to break this magnet free. I wouldn't use a new one without a very strong magnet sealed to it. Also, don't trust zip ties. They'll rot and break free eventually. I've used them for attaching underside plastic covers that have broken free, and also to hold my O2 sensor wiring harness to the frame, and they've all broken in due time. And wire rusts and then breaks too.
Well, I've been a locksmith since 2004, and I can't tell you how many people have told me, 'I put a magnetic hide a key under the car and now its gone' as I was opening their car for them. It sounds like you're not buying quality zip ties.

I have always zip-tied a key to the frame somewhere protected. I've never had it not be there when I checked... which I should probably do.

OP
P

packer58

WKR
I'm not paranoid by any stretch but after thinking a little more about stashing a key in the truck somewhere and using the keypad on the outside of the truck to get in sounds a bit sketchy. If some d-bag breaks the window and gets in AND somehow finds the key ......well, you know the rest of the story ..

MattB

WKR
I'm not paranoid by any stretch but after thinking a little more about stashing a key in the truck somewhere and using the keypad on the outside of the truck to get in sounds a bit sketchy. If some d-bag breaks the window and gets in AND somehow finds the key ......well, you know the rest of the story ..
Much more likely they have the tech to start your vehicle without a key.

BCsteve

WKR
I hid my spare fob inside my 2023 F150 but I had to wrap it in foil paper to shield it so the truck wouldn't know. Used the key pad to unlock.

grainhog

FNG
I carry my key unless it's a week+ A-to-B to a shuttle car, in which case I bag it and nail it to a tree way away from the car. I've had friends get their keys thrown down the mountain, stolen, fobs killed by moisture etc. Too many times. I thread the keyring onto a sewn loop in my pack, so would have to lose my pack to lose the key, which isn't going to happen, unless I'm dead. Then it doesn't matter where my key is cuz my wife has the spares.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
There’s plenty of places in the cab to hide it. You just have to think where a thief wouldn’t look. I wouldn’t keep it in the center console unless you have a console vault.

manitou1

WKR
I don't bring a spare. I have a "hunting/hiking/fishing FOB that has a paracord lanyard. It gets secured to my belt loop then in the pocket and stays that way from when I leave the house until I return.

I have vicinity locks so I just have to be near the door with the FOB to unlock. It automatically locks once I am a few feet from the truck.

When hunting out of state or long distance from home I bring a spare and it stays in my bino pack... which is always with me when hunting.

This works for me.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have a hide a key without fab just for the door. I have never locked my key in any vehicle. Since fabs came along I always use the fab to lock my truck, I never use the touch pad on the door panel. Kind of hard to lock key in the truck with the key/fab in your hand.

CorbLand

WKR
At some point you have to say “well it’s insured.”

I have a spare in my bino harness but my pickup is old and doesn’t have a fob.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
A friend of mine locked his keys in his truck when we were hunting in Northern Wis. We called a service and they sent a guy out. He had a flat rubber pad which could be inflated with a squeeze bulb, he pried the top of the door out just far enough to put the pad between the door Frame and the door beam, then he inflated the pad using the squeeze bulb until the door moved just enough to insert a metal rod in which he used to trip the armrest lock mechanism. I now have one of those I'll use when he locks his keys in his truck again.

Billinsd

WKR
No, that's a bad thing. If I want to lock my vehicle (regardless what's inside of it), then I expect it to lock and stay locked when I lock it. That's how stuff gets destroyed with me. It either works the way I tell it to and expect it to, or it won't ever work again. Kind of like one of Murphy's Laws......"If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway". So I avoid all that kind of stuff.
Good thing for me, because I can't lock the car with the keys in it....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It sounds like you're not buying quality zip ties.
Do the quality ones say "quality" on the package? How do you know which ones are quality and will last 35 years, versus the non-quality ones? I need some rust proof metal ones. I've used the largest zip ties I could find (about a centimeter across) on the trampoline to hold up the netting after the straps broke. And those won't even last a season before the UV breaks them down and they break.

ODB

WKR
Do the quality ones say "quality" on the package? How do you know which ones are quality and will last 35 years, versus the non-quality ones? I need some rust proof metal ones. I've used the largest zip ties I could find (about a centimeter across) on the trampoline to hold up the netting after the straps broke. And those won't even last a season before the UV breaks them down and they break.

stainless zip ties

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Simple rule to follow, zip ties from Harbor Freight = crap, zip ties from electrical supply house = quality.

fatlander

WKR
You can either go in your vehicle’s settings yourself, or get someone to program it, to allow you to lock the key inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCsteve

WKR
I like to keep the spare fob in the truck when I’m hunting with a partner. First, in case they somehow fall out of my pockets. Secondly and more importantly, in case of emergency, I get lost, injured, fall in a hole, my partner knows the keypad code and can go get some help without me physically giving him my keys.

My buddy uses one of these locks which are available on Amazon.

61aR-owkQtL._AC_SL1100_.jpg