Henderson Nevada???

So there is a possibility I may get transferred (with a promotion) to Henderson NV from OK. Really know nothing about opportunities in Nevada as I have never really researched it. Any good general advice for a possible new Nevada resident. Any good archery clubs/shooting ranges in the Vegas area. Am also an avid mountain biker and already know about bootleg canyon, but any other trails in the area if anyone else is so inclined. We have been needing a change for a while and this might be it. Would be a big move as we have only moved a few times in the last 30 years and all three houses are within a few miles of each other.

Any other tidbits about the area would help if anyone is able to. Obviously housing is quite a bit higher, but hopefully my salary would be too. Plus I get an extra week of vacation next year to explore more.

I would also be 2 hours closer to our hunting spot in CO.... :)

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
We lived in Henderson in 2006/7. PM me for any help i can give outside the notes below.

Have to caveat that my notes were from my time there and things may have changed.

Areas to live: we found the areas south of Vegas better suited to our circumstances. Young family with young kids at the time. Greene Valley Ranch area and liked it. Anthem Hills area further south was just getting established at the time.

Ranges: i liked Desert Hills shooting club. Covered rifle to 100yrds. decent benches. Sporting clays were good.

Food: nutty amount of excellent restaurants in the Henderson/GV area. Take your pick.

Family Fun: We'd buy the annual pass to Lake Mead every year. The water was higher then but many private beaches to spend time with family swimming, and fishing. Willow beach south of damn was very cool. Red Rock canyon and Mt. Charleston were cool trips. Loads of mountain biking everywhere.

Go for it and good luck.

Jeff

OP
sodaksooner
Thanks for the info guys, Hunting, of course, would be on the list. I kinda thought that would be assumed. Western game opportunities are limited in OK, so hunting elk and mulies in my own state would be epic. Ive really lost interest in treestand whitetail hunting over the years. Actually didn't even buy an OK tag this year. If this does come to pass learning all there is to learn about the state huntingwise is on the list. Plus it would be nice to pay resident fees for once! :)

Legend

WKR
The wetlands park on northside of Henderson that flows to Lake Las Vegas....is treated wastewater effluent. Neat place for a walk or bike ride, but not a great place for a swim. I wish someone would have told grandma that before she took the little kids for a walk on a hot day.

Last edited:
Once you get there go meet Werner Family Taxidermy. They are very politically involved in NV hunting rights and you want to be part of that and mingle with everyone in that crowd. Wonderful people and very close to you there.

As stated above, go visit in the summer. It will be well over 100 degrees from May to early October. The biggest difference is how DRY everything (including the air) will be compared to OK. I'm not sure how big of an are you live in now but Henderson is essentially an extension of Las Vegas (you cant tell where one ends and the other begins) and the Population and Valley are HUGE!! Be prepared for big city living.

Hunting areas for Elk and Deer will many hours drive and even as a resident are difficult to draw. Be prepared to accumulate at least 10 years of points for Elk and likely 5-6 for deer depending on where/how you want to hunt.

For sure take a visit, cost of living will be a significant increase (Think Fuel at $5 a gallon depending on how far you will live from your office) will likely eat up most promotion.

Good luck, I hope it works out!

OP
sodaksooner
As stated above, go visit in the summer. It will be well over 100 degrees from May to early October. The biggest difference is how DRY everything (including the air) will be compared to OK. I'm not sure how big of an are you live in now but Henderson is essentially an extension of Las Vegas (you cant tell where one ends and the other begins) and the Population and Valley are HUGE!! Be prepared for big city living.

Hunting areas for Elk and Deer will many hours drive and even as a resident are difficult to draw. Be prepared to accumulate at least 10 years of points for Elk and likely 5-6 for deer depending on where/how you want to hunt.

For sure take a visit, cost of living will be a significant increase (Think Fuel at $5 a gallon depending on how far you will live from your office) will likely eat up most promotion.

Good luck, I hope it works out!
Thanks, I spent several weeks in vegas for work a few summers ago. I spent a workweek in Henderson earlier this year as well, so have a basic lay of the land. Cost of living is definitely something to consider. Have seen quite a few houses in our price range that look decent (although way smaller than our current one, but that is what we have been going for anyway). Don't know anything about neighborhoods yet. Still fleshing the whole thing out for sure. Thanks for the input.

dplumlee12

Lil-Rokslider
Lived in Henderson/Vegas for 30 years... Place is growing, traffic is getting terrible... Hunting is great when you get a tag. Where to live really depends on where you are working and if you have to commute. There are good places in henderson and in vegas. I currently live on the west side and can still drive my sxs from my garage out into the desert and in 10 minutes I'm able to practice long range shooting. There is one of the nicest ranges to shoot on the North side of town. Limited to 200 yard but super nice. Another nice range out in boulder city... only takes on new members in Nov I think.

Not sure what you do for work but I work at a mine 50 miles south of vegas and commute every day. I have several positions open if you find yourself looking for work.

OP
sodaksooner
Lived in Henderson/Vegas for 30 years... Place is growing, traffic is getting terrible... Hunting is great when you get a tag. Where to live really depends on where you are working and if you have to commute. There are good places in henderson and in vegas. I currently live on the west side and can still drive my sxs from my garage out into the desert and in 10 minutes I'm able to practice long range shooting. There is one of the nicest ranges to shoot on the North side of town. Limited to 200 yard but super nice. Another nice range out in boulder city... only takes on new members in Nov I think.

Not sure what you do for work but I work at a mine 50 miles south of vegas and commute every day. I have several positions open if you find yourself looking for work.
Our plant is in Henderson, right by all the car dealerships in the industrial complex there. Looking to stay in that area if possible. My wife works remotely so that helps. I still plan on hunting Colorado and South Dakota. Have a bunch of points in Utah I might have to think about cashing in too. We will see. I have an onsite interview next week.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been in Nevada most my life and lived in LV from 2011-2017 and am there quarterly for work. Feel free to shoot me a DM with any questions, I have lots of friends in Henderson, so can help with any questions you might have!

BadDogPSD

WKR
Sounds like it would be a good move. You'll be close to some excellent deer & elk hunting. Getting a tag seems to be getting more & more difficult but the quality of the hunt is great. And to the south, really good deer hunting in AZ.

OP
sodaksooner
I’ve been in Nevada most my life and lived in LV from 2011-2017 and am there quarterly for work. Feel free to shoot me a DM with any questions, I have lots of friends in Henderson, so can help with any questions you might have!
Thanks, might do that if it comes to pass. One of my old USMC CO's lives there (retired) as well, so have that resource as well.

Everything about Nevada sucks. Too hot/cold. Barren. People are ugly and weird. All the deer have CWD and VD. Cacti, black widows, scorpions, rattlesnakes, mass murderers, gangs, pedophiles. Don’t come here. Uh I mean don’t go there.

Rt_nevada

FNG
The Whitney ranch/green valley area of Henderson is a nice place to live. There’s a good archery shop near the industrial area in Henderson called aces and arrows that has an indoor range and does indoor leagues. I shoot a league at a range on the north side of the valley that’s owned and maintained by the county. It has a very nice rifle and pistol range as well. And for mountain biking and hiking the trails are almost endless all around the valley. The red rock area has a vast network of trails as well as the northwest area and heading up towards mt Charleston. Bootleg canyon is awesome but is on the gnarlier side, I believe they host the downhill world championships from time to time. You can expect to draw an archery mule deer tag every year unless you apply for the premium units. Elk tags are harder to come by but I have known of people drawing an archery or rifle tag for great units with only a handful of points. If you get sick of the city and need a weekend get away there are a few great spots a few hours north of Las Vegas if you’re willing to take a little road trip to see some beautiful country.

lks2

FNG
Iv'e lived in Henderson for 16 years. I work for the city and due to the nature of the job I can steer your towards/ away from certain neighborhoods. There are pros and cons but overall not a bad place to live if you have to live in an urban area. I am a member of a gun club with 1000 yard rifle range 15 min away, decent archery shop 25 min away, and my wife killed a buck 35 miles as the crow flies from our house. Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.