Help with tuning whisker biscuit

I like the very last sentence.

OP, is your cock feather up? The black area is not meant for vane contact. Longer 4" vanes may help too.

WB on my primary bow and it does shoot with slight nock high tear. I have personally had 2 drop aways fail me at the worst time and cost me 2 misses on deer. I believe that not every bow / arrow combination will tune well with a WB. WB is just so fail safe for me I can't help but run one.

OP
3Rayz

3Rayz

FNG
So at about three feet I get a good tear, step back to around ten feet and get a bad high tear, fletchings are about two inches above point, step back to ten yards and get a almost perfect tear. So I'm going to guess that in that ten feet my arrow is still flexing and is why I'm getting such a bad tear? Going to shoot more from different ranges, but I'm thinking I might be good if I'm getting a good tear at 3 feet and 10 yards even though ten feet is horrible? Any thoughts on that?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The arrow won't flex 2" back and forth coming out of the bow. It could just be that 3' and 10 yards are just the spot where it straight. Arrows if they are not flying straight out of the bow will still make a bullet hold at some point as the are wobbling back and forth or up and down. At some point half way thru there back and forth , they will appear straight.

KMT

WKR
50 yards easily. I've never had to use anything beyond a 40 pin for whitetails, mulies, or elk though. I guess I'm lucky.

But my definition of a good group may be very different than yours. I'm not winning any tournaments. All I want to do is shoot good enough to have a clean kill shot. So I'm not shooting a one inch group at 50 yards. And i have no interest in shooting anything (target or otherwise at 60-80 yards).

Last edited:

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Paper tuning is unnecessary. Say this ten times fast and don't forget it. WB is a great hunting rest for all ages and abilities.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a trophy taker drop away to a whisker biscuit thinking it would be a simple easy to tune set up.
Best thing I ever did was throw them both away and get a vapour trail limb driver, absolutely the easiest rest I have ever set up and using the limbs seems to make more sense to me instead of timing with the cables

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
I also found for hunting I don't bother with the paper tune anymore, straight to broad head tuning. I got my field tips and shuttle ts hitting together at 60yds this year, couldn't be happier!

You WB hunters, how far can you get a decent group? 30? 50 yards? Farther?

I can shoot well out to distances im competent at. Ive shot drop aways, my max is my max. Im the limiting factor.

An excellent shooter with a WB will flat out SMOKE an average shooter with another rest.

I'd wager it has as much to do with people being more aware of tuning as anything. People didn't know their bow was out of tune until the internet told them.

That may be true to an extent.

But Al Gore invented the internet even before he invented global warming. And it just seems this new "cant tune a WB" problem really only came on in the last few years (coincidentally coinciding with Hoyt carbon bows), long after Al invented the internet or discovered manbearpig.

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
There is no reason you can't get a bullet with a biscut, I had them on every bow made, best hunting rest out there, wont let you down. I would guess it something with your form.

The paper is just to get the ball rolling in the right direction. Every bow and shooter has its on personality. I say get the best tear you can live with the do some shooting.

You will notice a diff shooting a fixed blade and a filed point at 50 yards, that's where moving the rest 1/16 of an inch will come into play.

300WSM

FNG
I would agree with Kebler. Most people I know that don't like the WB have had trouble with there form. But don't get to bent out on shape about shooting a bullet just broadhead tune it and you will be fine. I see some comments about contact with the arrow affecting flight which it can if you have form flaws. But ask your self why do most tournament archers shoot a lizard tongue which has contact with the arrow? If you wan't more endorsements for the WB you can ask some of the dead animals in my freezer. I would not shoot a long fletching as some have suggested try some flex fletch flashes they hold up very well. Good Luck

skolberg

FNG
I'm a few years behind on this post, and this will probably never even be read but I just want to add to the WB fans on this post. I have shot a WB for years. I shoot a binary cam bow and paper tune/ walk back tune at least twice a year to make sure I have as much arrow error worked out as possible. Some great info above and I agree with coyote on all points, 80-90% of the error is between your ears. FORM accounts for so much of poor grouping. Not to say the drop away guys are wrong ( I would agree you can tune them more easily and they probably have more consistency when properly set up). However I am a firm believer that less moving parts is always more advantageous when in the field and am willing to sacrifice an inch or two on groups at 70-80 yards with the assurance my rest will NEVER let me down when drawing on a deer. I have never had to shoot at a deer over 40 yards wether from a tree or on a stalk, so I feel like even if I can't group quite as well on the range at long distance as a drop away guy, I can feel 100% confident that after a long crawl through the crud on the ground my arrow rest will be the last thing on my mind when it comes time to make the shot.

jj554

Lil-Rokslider
I have had two bows in 12 years, and still have both bows. One has a whisker biscuit and one has a drop away. I have never spent even 1 minute paper tuning either bow. Frankly, I don't see the point in doing it. Yet, both bows shoot well enough to kill deer and elk, and both put broad heads in the same place as field tips.