Help with Schnee’s Pac boots

Josh Gray

FNG
I recently picked up a used pair of Schnee’s Hunter II’s that are in great shape for cheap. I was planning on keeping them in the truck for 3rd rifle elk in case things get really cold/snowy but am worried they won’t work in the steep terrain I plan to hunt. I’m in between 10.5 & 11 and these are 11’s. They feel a little too sloppy/higher volume and not as solid as I’d hoped Is this how all pac boots feel? They didn’t come with any insole so maybe I should buy some thinsulate insoles and/or some super feet as well as new liners from Schnee’s to fill them out? Anyone have experience with this?

They make a 6mm (i think) wool felt insole you can buy to fill up space too. They're not mountaineering boots but they'll do. If you think you need a 10 size PM me.

OP
J

Josh Gray

FNG
They make a 6mm (i think) wool felt insole you can buy to fill up space too. They're not mountaineering boots but they'll do. If you think you need a 10 size PM me.
Thanks! Do you feel like they ever run small? Also I don’t have narrow feet, I’m right at the edge of wide at 4” but don’t have a ton of volume.

yfarm

WKR
I wear a 9.5 and used a running shoe insole inside the felt liner in a 10 and fits perfect, tried the felt insole between the boot and liner and it was too tight. Another plus is that the liner doesnt drag on the sock removing like the felt does. Mine are Hoffmans and Whites.

hiker270

WKR
Another way to increase or decrease the volume in boots is by the socks you wear. I have a half dozen pairs of Darn Tough socks that range from thin to heavyweight. I regularly wear a 10 1/2 boot but as you well know boots vary between makers. Socks can easily make a boot fit better. Not to mention that merino wool makes for a great sock.