Help with possible first western hunt

So I've been wanting to hunt western game for about 25 years or so now. Been watching other people do it on tv, youtube etc. for as long. I've never been west of Ohio. Sitting in a treestand out here on the east coast is starting to get boring and life is working on passing me by. I've tried figuring out where to start a few times over the last 5 or 6 years but always end up discouraged/empty handed and give up on the idea. The only thing I've gathered is that CO otc elk (rifle) is maybe the best option (though not easy). I still have yet to understand points/draw licensing systems. I've always just bought my license and go hunt. Can you guys offer some insight on what the best options might be to get me out there? I feel like if I don't fully understand the process and have it layed out step by step then I'll never commit to going forward with anything.

Start by soaking up as much info as possible. Despite getting a bit of a bad rap around here, the Randy Newberg/Corey Jacobsen/Elk101 material is really informative and useful (sometimes too useful). Next, pick a state and a unit.

The next step is the hardest- Get in the truck, point it west, and go. Don't go with any expectations of success. Just go to learn and enjoy the experience.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
Start by soaking up as much info as possible. Despite getting a bit of a bad rap around here, the Randy Newberg/Corey Jacobsen/Elk101 material is really informative and useful (sometimes too useful). Next, pick a state and a unit.

The next step is the hardest- Get in the truck, point it west, and go. Don't go with any expectations of success. Just go to learn and enjoy the experience.
I've been soaking up info my whole life. The "picking state and unit" type stuff is what's getting me. I have no idea what to do or how to do it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been soaking up info my whole life. The "picking state and unit" type stuff is what's getting me. I have no idea what to do or how to do it.

This is a great starting point. Ultimately you pick a place, give it a go and make adjustments for the next time.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

My sincere and honest advice, considering your personal history with the idea of western hunting, is to save up and go hunt a ranch with a guide.
If watching YouTube hasn't motivated you to so much as figure out applications, a Colorado OTC rifle hunt is going to be an expensive disappointment. In terms of dollars : experience ratio, a private land hunt with a guide is going to be your best bet.

Prioritize what you want. High elevation? Low? Steep? Not so steep? Backcountry? Road access? Get OnX and start looking around.

Or, put a map of a state on the wall and throw a dart at it.

Not for me, but for what you are describing there are many draw/application services out there that can walk you through the process and even do some of the leg work for you for a very small fee. Would at least get you started and they could tailor an application strategy based on what you are looking for in a hunt.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
My sincere and honest advice, considering your personal history with the idea of western hunting, is to save up and go hunt a ranch with a guide.
If watching YouTube hasn't motivated you to so much as figure out applications, a Colorado OTC rifle hunt is going to be an expensive disappointment. In terms of dollars : experience ratio, a private land hunt with a guide is going to be your best bet.
Can you elaborate on the motivation part? Maybe you underestimate how daunting this all is for someone so far away, since you live in CO? I'm certainly a motivated hunter, just figuring out where to go in general and how to do it legally has always been the difficult part.

So I've been wanting to hunt western game for about 25 years or so now. Been watching other people do it on tv, youtube etc. for as long. I've never been west of Ohio. Sitting in a treestand out here on the east coast is starting to get boring and life is working on passing me by. I've tried figuring out where to start a few times over the last 5 or 6 years but always end up discouraged/empty handed and give up on the idea. The only thing I've gathered is that CO otc elk (rifle) is maybe the best option (though not easy). I still have yet to understand points/draw licensing systems. I've always just bought my license and go hunt. Can you guys offer some insight on what the best options might be to get me out there? I feel like if I don't fully understand the process and have it layed out step by step then I'll never commit to going forward with anything.

Start applying for permits in whichever Western states you choose, but definitely do that Colorado OTC hunt ASAP so you can get some experience before you draw a permit in other Western states.

Can you elaborate on the motivation part? Maybe you underestimate how daunting this all is for someone so far away, since you live in CO? I'm certainly a motivated hunter, just figuring out where to go in general and how to do it legally has always been the difficult part.
Pick a state and read the regs. Just focus on one state, not MT its too damn complicated for a beginner, and commit. I ate a few tags when started, but that's how you learn. Just remember it aint gonna be like what you see on the YouTube. It's gonna take a few trips to get everything dialed in.

Gerbdog

WKR
I'd be honest with yourself on your physical health as well.... are you in good enough condition to go high altitude in an OTC unit in CO ? If so... just go.... more boot miles = higher chance of success. OTC's have a ton of pressure, thats totally accurate , and yes, its difficult unless your a super lucky guy.... but if you can handle the work , you can outwork 90% of the other hunters in an OTC unit.

If your not in good enough physical condition to be doing the above... be honest with your self, there's absolutely no shame at all, i'd do what was mentioned above.... start looking into landowner tags on a ranch with a guided hunt.

If you dont got the money for the guided hunt.... then circle back to the top, and start getting into good shape. You dont HAVE to be in good shape to kill elk, but it sure ups the % chance your gonna get it done.

OP
Undrgrndprdcts
I'd be honest with yourself on your physical health as well.... are you in good enough condition to go high altitude in an OTC unit in CO ? If so... just go.... more boot miles = higher chance of success. OTC's have a ton of pressure, thats totally accurate , and yes, its difficult unless your a super lucky guy.... but if you can handle the work , you can outwork 90% of the other hunters in an OTC unit.

If your not in good enough physical condition to be doing the above... be honest with your self, there's absolutely no shame at all, i'd do what was mentioned above.... start looking into landowner tags on a ranch with a guided hunt.

If you dont got the money for the guided hunt.... then circle back to the top, and start getting into good shape. You dont HAVE to be in good shape to kill elk, but it sure ups the % chance your gonna get it done.
I'm actually in excellent shape, training is very important in my life.

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm actually in excellent shape, training is very important in my life.
Man if that's the case i'd just go grab an OTC rifle tag and see what its about. Go with the intention of learning, enjoying, and taking it all in, if you find success all the better but there is a learning curve that youtube channel videos, hunting mags, and TV encounters just arent gonna help you get over. If your worried about picking the absolute best OTC tag ? Dont worry about it, theyre all busy, they all have elk, and the elk are all headed for the deepest nastiest spot on the mountain as soon as the first rifle shot goes off... if they're not already there after archery season / the rut.

Gerbdog

WKR
Man if that's the case i'd just go grab an OTC rifle tag and see what its about. Go with the intention of learning, enjoying, and taking it all in, if you find success all the better but there is a learning curve that youtube channel videos, hunting mags, and TV encounters just arent gonna help you get over. If your worried about picking the absolute best OTC tag ? Dont worry about it, theyre all busy, they all have elk, and the elk are all headed for the deepest nastiest spot on the mountain as soon as the first rifle shot goes off... if they're not already there after archery season / the rut.
Guess i'd follow that up with - pick a unit with ample amounts of public land (easy to find). It's a personal preference but i like the idea that i can get to the elk if i work hard enough to find them.... i cant stand when elk sit on the private land and i can sit there and just watch them play all day. Cool for the elk, and i love seeing elk, but i can go to RMNP if i wanna do that, and probably have closer encounters to boot.

Weldor

WKR
Landowner tags, Or do OTC soon. Non resident tags in most western states are going to draw. The ones that still had OTC tags That is.