Help with mystery ranch packs

NDGuy

WKR
Does anyone know if mystery ranch plans on releasing more bag only options? Not being able to just buy the bags only is kind of making me lean towards kifaru. I like that you can just buy one frame and have a few different packs.
I would be shocked if they didn't come out with a few more bag only options. I could see the next one being the Metcalf. Reason being a LOT of people run the Pintler or Metcalf and most would probably buy the other one so they have a 1-3 day pack and a 3-6 day pack. I am guessing they wanted to wait for their new Guide Light MT frame or whatever it is called that the Sawtooth/Beartooth run off of.

What new frame is coming out? Will all their current packs attach to the new frame. I'm thinking about getting a MR pack.

Does anyone know if mystery ranch plans on releasing more bag only options? Not being able to just buy the bags only is kind of making me lean towards kifaru. I like that you can just buy one frame and have a few different packs. And as new packs are designed just buy them and try them on your existing frame.

It is called the Guide Light MT Frame and it is currently available on the new beartooth and sawtooth packs as well as the sellway. Plan is to move all hunting packs to the new frame in 2020. It requires some buckle adaptors but it seems like most old packs are compatible. There are a few threads on it here somewhere and overall impressions seem positive on the frame updates. I am sure there will be a lot of discounting and reselling on the guidelight packs in the next year as people focus on the new frame.

gchs4464

FNG
If you can get a frame only, as the filbe main pack it fits it perfect. It’s a little heavier and you won’t have a load shelf with out making some mods. But it’s cheap and tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCH

FNG
I have the Marshall and wish I would have waited for the Sawtooth but Scheels had the Marshall on sale. May have to sell the Marshall. Very tempted. I think the Beartooth would be perfect for most of my hunts but yet be able to complete 7-8 day hunts just fine.

NDGuy

WKR
Here are some pics of the Pintler and Sawtooth. Sawtooth is the left pack in Foliage color and the Pintler is in subalpine. You can see the belt on the Sawtooth is way thicker and has the horseshoe design vs the tri zip.

fe9e9b1318462e84dcf0e37057729a4f.jpg

623f543a23abd9d22e4c366bb44d8a77.jpg
b5913970a0b895ac2bae0d6b3c2a7a58.jpg
251d502348aaeb7bfdfe9f7f2a172f80.jpg
0aadd8238309d76a2b119b5b7a2bcbbe.jpg
2d6d42e72aa553b7fcb96c4cf1183d82.jpg

hutch2882

FNG
New MR frame sounds intriguing. I am trying to decide b/w Pintler and cabinet and mule. Want a daypack that can haul if needed. Anyone ever find any add on bags like an eberlestock batwing to run on an MR pack? Would love to run a mule with a small add on.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some pics of the Pintler and Sawtooth. Sawtooth is the left pack in Foliage color and the Pintler is in subalpine. You can see the belt on the Sawtooth is way thicker and has the horseshoe design vs the tri zip.

fe9e9b1318462e84dcf0e37057729a4f.jpg

623f543a23abd9d22e4c366bb44d8a77.jpg
b5913970a0b895ac2bae0d6b3c2a7a58.jpg
251d502348aaeb7bfdfe9f7f2a172f80.jpg
0aadd8238309d76a2b119b5b7a2bcbbe.jpg
2d6d42e72aa553b7fcb96c4cf1183d82.jpg

thanks for these pictures.
you can really see the difference in the newer MT belts that its more robust for heavy hauling.
2020 can't come any sooner so I can replace my GL with a GL MT frame and belt.
much appreciate the comparisons

NDGuy

WKR
thanks for these pictures.
you can really see the difference in the newer MT belts that its more robust for heavy hauling.
2020 can't come any sooner so I can replace my GL with a GL MT frame and belt.
much appreciate the comparisons
Yes I think I am going to keep my Sawtooth or buy the Beartooth and then wait until 2020 to get a Pintler bag only on the new frame.

BlackFeather

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of finding my first MR as well. I am picking up a MR Dragon Slayer today as my first MR daypack. I'll save up for the Metcalf or Pintler next, providing I enjoy the Dragon Slayer. From everything I've read, they're a fantastic pack and the build quality is excellent.

Ledanek

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the process of finding my first MR as well. I am picking up a MR Dragon Slayer today as my first MR daypack. I'll save up for the Metcalf or Pintler next, providing I enjoy the Dragon Slayer. From everything I've read, they're a fantastic pack and the build quality is excellent.

My memory is not golden, but, I read the Dragon Slayer was the grandfather of Pintler.
Basically the, Dragon Slayer on a frame vs older frame.
Best I can do for now:
https://images.app.goo.gl/gvmm7CsXok7nFBT46

https://www.carryology.com/bags/road-tests-mystery-ranch-dragon-slayer-hunting-pack/

Trial153

WKR
Yes dont go with a pintler if you have a dragon slayer ...they are almost the same pack.
The MR DS was great pack btw, I had one in optifade. I shouldnt have sold it.

PlanoDano

FNG
I also like the Pinter as it holds my camping and hunting essentials. If I need to extend trip I can carry extra food and water in the load sling.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m looking to get a do-all western hunting pack. Right now I’m looking at mystery ranch packs in the $500-$550 range. Not sure which of their packs would be best and thanks for the help.

I'll be posting this video on a separate thread, but check it out as we tried to show the entire lineup, features and best use for the hunting lineup.

Argali Mystery Ranch Hunting Pack Lineup

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m thinking of backpack hunting, hence the Beartooth. Your thoughts?

It just depends on how many days you want to backpack for. The Beartooth is a great pack for backpacking. It has a little more capacity than the Metcalf, so if you plan to hunt late season it could come in handy.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know the pintler and mule come bag only, jyt do anothers. I saw on the MR QA that there are no plans for the Beartooth, Sawtooth, or Selway to be bag only. I was 90% set on the Selway, but now I am reconsidering...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
How much spare room did you have? I expect 7 days, easily.

For 7 days the Beartooth is definitely going to be your best option. I've done 6 on the Metcalf, and you could even do 7, but it would be maxed out and you'd have to have small, lightweight gear.

OP
G

Ghanson4

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you so much for all the discussion, I think I’ll go with the beartooth since most of my hunts will be late season rifle