Help with my gear list

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My phone is old and doesn't hold a charge very well. I don't know how long it'll last just checking in to use Basemap or Onx. My watch if using it on GPS might go 2 days. I just didn't feel like having to charge it when we go back to the truck or worse run out of a communication method.

I would add a new phone to your list :).

i would ditch the sherman pocket and all your packed clothes other than the puffy your rain gear and your beanie. I havent packed rain pants in three years and havent been burned yet. I would check the forecast on that though. Also would cut back on firstaid batteries and get a lighter battery pack you can get a 5000amp anker on amazon cheap and they weigh way less. if you want pm me your number and i can text you a pic of what i bring

Gobspur

FNG
Last trip my newer samsung galaxy s8 lasted 6 days without a charge, on airplane mode using the inreach app at least a few times an hour all day. And probably sent/received a dozen text in evening. The newer cell phone batteries alone last a long time when in airplane mode. I took a charger that would charge my phone and inreach once each. Keep an extra one in the truck to swap if you go back.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Last trip my newer samsung galaxy s8 lasted 6 days without a charge, on airplane mode using the inreach app at least a few times an hour all day. And probably sent/received a dozen text in evening. The newer cell phone batteries alone last a long time when in airplane mode. I took a charger that would charge my phone and inreach once each. Keep an extra one in the truck to swap if you go back.

Yeah I have an old brick. Might have to look into a new phone. That would save me half a pound.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider

Have you used your galaxy s8 with OnX maps for extended trips?

Gobspur

FNG
Have you used your galaxy s8 with OnX maps for extended trips?
Not yet, didnt have onx last trip but do now. But I suspect it will be the same as when I was using the Earthmate app on last 7 day trip.

locofife

FNG
I would recommend adding a CAT tourniquet and putting it somewhere easily accessible. (It won't do you much good if it's buried in your pack when you need it.) They don't weigh much and could save your life.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I would recommend adding a CAT tourniquet and putting it somewhere easily accessible. (It won't do you much good if it's buried in your pack when you need it.) They don't weigh much and could save your life.

I actually do have one, figured that and the Israeli bandage might be a bit redundant.

Beckjhong

WKR
I actually do have one, figured that and the Israeli bandage might be a bit redundant.

Bring both. In my opinion, great added value/versatility as compared to the minimal added weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I would add new insoles to the Lowa boots. I added the Superfeet Green insoles and they added a lot more support and comfort after a long break in period.

I would also add an additional headlamp or flashlight between you and your partner. We had one break on us this past fall and it was nice to still have two lights for those predawn hikes.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I will be going with my brother who will also be carrying some supplies. He will have a CAT tourney as well as 2 headlamps.

I've been doing hikes in my Lowas for about 2 years now and they are quite comfortable and broken in. Really happy with them.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Just in case anyone is still interested, I think I'm finally done compiling my gear list.

The only variable at this point is my food as I still haven't nailed that down completely. Overall really happy with my base weight of just over 18 lbs.

Now it's twiddling my thumbs and packing sandbags for another 4 months. Thanks guys for all the input, it was very helpful.

Last edited:

TravisIN

WKR
10 days in a 2800 ci pack is hardcore. Haha I must be doing something wrong I can get 7 in a 4300 ci pack but there not much room left

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
10 days in a 2800 ci pack is hardcore. Haha I must be doing something wrong I can get 7 in a 4300 ci pack but there not much room left

I have an Argali that I was going to use but everything easily fits in my Muskeg so I figured why not.