Help with elk calls please

Agree with above posts. Elknut's "Sounds by Elk" lives in my truck's CD player. I particularly like this cd because I can work on mimicing the sounds, pace and cadence of real elk as I am driving to and from work.
Also, once you find the system that works for you buy extras and stash them in different locations in your pack. You don't want to be 5 miles in and realize you have lost or damaged your calls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
tradarchery & others, thanks! The Sounds By The Elk is one of my favorites as well. This CD & MP3 Disc is of elk making defined sounds, both bulls & cows alike. The sounds made are from different age groups. This means a 1-1/2 year old cow or bull does not sound the same as a 3-1/2 year old cow or bull & so on as they mature with age. Even though their message is identical through their calling you can see & hear their different sound tones are the same as if hearing an 8 year old boy or girl in comparison to hearing a 16 year old boy or girl. You do not have to see them if they talk to know which is the older one.

This translates into us using elk sounds, you do not need to have the best bugle or best cow call on the planet to call in or locate elk, you just need to be believable! The key here is not how good are you, it's how good are you at understanding what you're saying when using an elk sound. Too, can you define the message being sent by the elk themselves? When you can do these two things it will up your odds tremendously in talking too & convincing them you are one of them, this translates into a lot of close encounters even on OTC DIY elk hunts!

No matter the call you want to use, use it wisely & understand why you are using a specific sound, the elk will be able to define it! Know what you are saying! Not all elk encounters are calling situations, by their sound & message being sent you will be able to evaluate individual encounters & apply the best method for best results!

ElkNut1

gelton

WKR
Cant really add anything to ElkNut's comments as he knows his stuff. Each mouth is different so different calls work for different people. I found the mellow yellow the easiest cow call for me still searching for a good bugle call...give ElkNut a buzz he will straighten you out.

LostArra

WKR
No one has mentioned that it's one thing to master a diaphragm call sitting in your truck driving to work relaxed and well-hydrated. It's a bit different when you're out of breath from climbing that ridge after you finally found the elk. Your mouth is so dry you can't spit. That call sounds a little different now.

Practice your diaphragm calling after some wind sprints to get a more accurate simulation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's a bit different when you're out of breath from climbing that ridge after you finally found the elk. Your mouth is so dry you can't spit.

I've never had a problem with dry mouth while hunting, but when my lips get real dry it's tough to get some of my sounds right. I've fixed that problem. A few years ago I got on a big bull and he got all fired up. So I was matching him sound for sound. Then he let out a big old lip bawl and when I went to match it.....my lips were so dry it came out as a squeak. I'm standing there almost laughing at myself wondering what the heck that was. I'm sure the bull wondered the same thing. Luckily it didn't matter and I shot that bull a few minutes later. This sound-off challenge lasted about 45 minutes with not much time between challenges, it was pretty crazy.

cnelk

WKR
Lostarra is spot on.

Chasing elk for 5-6 miles in a morning will certainly dry your mouth right up.

ElkNut1

WKR
All good points! But I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves here, including me! The Thread Starter hasn't ever used a mouth reed! Let's get him fitted with one that works for him & then as he progresses these other thoughts can be entertained. His biggest hurdle at present is to get proper reed placement in his mouth & start getting cow sounds such as mews & whines, once he's doing well he can then graduate to additional sounds, this way he can develop good habits & reed/tongue control.

To start I'd recommend a 1/2 wide reed, reeds come in 5/8" & 1/2" -- The 1/2" ones work well for guys with average to small pallets. -- Just about anyone can use a 1/2" model but fewer can use a 5/8" model, these are made for guys with larger wider pallets. The nice thing is anyone can use a 1/2" model but not just anyone can use a 5/8" model so I'd suggest the 1/2" for starters! Then you will do best with a light latex tension type latex on the reed, the Mellow Yellow will be hard to beat for that. He would do well to consider the Yellow reed.

ElkNut1

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Chasing elk for 5-6 miles in a morning will certainly dry your mouth right up.

Do you keep your diaphragm call in your mouth? Mine is in all the time unless I'm eating, and it acts like gum does. I'm constantly chewing on them. It keeps the saliva flowing constantly all day for me, regardless how far I've gone or how much I'm running.

Davebuech

WKR
Agree with 5Miles! Unless I am running it is always there. Helps keep your mouth closed, the nose working and it is always at the ready.

Do you keep your diaphragm call in your mouth? Mine is in all the time unless I'm eating, and it acts like gum does. I'm constantly chewing on them. It keeps the saliva flowing constantly all day for me, regardless how far I've gone or how much I'm running.

cnelk

WKR

Silly question.

Of course I do. But maybe Im chasing elk faster than you do :)

Gumbo

WKR
Not a fan of the hoochie mama. I can't get any sound out of it besides mews that sounds like an alarm.

You must be getting pretty aggressive with the Hooch, I can't get mine to bark at all. I carry old school primos single and double reed calls for long range calling. They sound horrible to me but for some reason work great. I use Rocky Mtn reeds for most cow calling and bugles (with a Rocky Mtn tube, although I think I will try a Phelps tube this year). I also always have a Hoochie calf call in my cargo pocket on my pants, which I can hit immediately when I need to sound like a second elk or coax a slow, reluctant bull. It has really worked well for me, but it really does only give the one sound, I even have mine duct taped to where it sounds best (so it won't twist).

It has probably been said above but learn how to use a diaphragm call. With a single diaphragm call you can make every single elk sound. Additionally you can call to stop an elk while you are at full draw. I would suggest trying a few different brands and different sizes of each brand. I have used a lot of them over the years and have switched which one I carry with me a few times. Currently I really like the Bugling bulls large frame single but I've used a lot of doubles in the past. Everyone's mouth is a different shape and size and there is no single call that will work for everyone. Also I find that when I even get the exact same call they can sound differently and some don't work well at all. I now buy a few of the call I like and find which one sounds and works best and go with that as my primary diaphragm. I always have a backup or 2 in the field with me as they do wear out. In addition to a diaphragm, I carry 2 different reed calls and a bugle tube. I've never been a fan of the squeeze calls but some have used them successfully.