Help with a 300 win mag

It’s fine, especially for hunting loads. If you want to run long heavy high BC bullets you can always drop it in a KRG Bravo or another chassis that uses AICS CIP length mags and load as long as you want. So it’s really a non issue either way.

OP
streetdoctor
It’s fine, especially for hunting loads. If you want to run long heavy high BC bullets you can always drop it in a KRG Bravo or another chassis that uses AICS CIP length mags and load as long as you want. So it’s really a non issue either way.
They only list the bravo for a short action T3x, I thought all tikkas were the same?

I thought they were available long action too but now I see that they aren’t. I still wouldn’t let that stop me though.

You’ll run into the same issue with OAL with the 300WSM and long bullets seated way out too unless you convert it to run LA mag and bolt throw if that’s possible.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it.

bsnedeker

WKR
I thought they were available long action too but now I see that they aren’t. I still wouldn’t let that stop me though.

You’ll run into the same issue with OAL with the 300WSM and long bullets seated way out too unless you convert it to run LA mag and bolt throw if that’s possible.

This. The stories of limited mags in Tikka's are HIGHLY over-rated. Yeah, they are limiting, but it makes no difference in my experience (shooting under 600 yards). My tikka 300WM has a jump to the lands of over 1/4 inch and I have a LOT of 10-shot groups in the 1.0-1.2 MOA range.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

It's very easy to swap out the bolt stops and in a Long Action WSM mag on Tikkas. Really it's where the action length shines.

I've never worried about ammo availability issues when traveling on a hunt. If flying, pack the ammo in your rifle case along with abundant spares in case you have a loss of zero or other issues to fix that could burn up ammo. If you lose your rifle you're SOL anyway.

OP
streetdoctor
Thanks for all the advice here. Ended up picking up an X-bolt in 300WM after putting a lot of ammo through a friends. The new brake that comes on them knocks down recoil enough I think my wife can even shoot it and it's a lot more quiet than the Witt I had on my Tikka.