Help with a 300 win mag

300 WM with a brake is much more enjoyable to shoot, easy to keep on target for follow up shots, and a good side port brake like the Witt (which is what I use on my 300WM) does a nice job of taming the recoil, albeit at the cost of being stupid loud and having a ridiculous concussive blast. I love my WM, once you get the feel for it, they aren't that tough to shoot well, give you a large margin for error at the ranges you are talking about and ammo seems to be pretty easy to get reliably, although it can be pricey. Get a suppressor, I shot one at the range the other day, kicked myself for not drinking the koolaid earlier, and promptly went and put one in jail for my WM.

bmart2622

WKR
Explain exactly how I've busted anyone balls? You just clearly don't like people expressing opinions that are different than yours because you are a snowflake. Get over yourself my friend!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
You didnt bust balls just made stupid comments about standing next to rifles while they are being shot

SDHNTR

WKR
My hunting buddy killed 3 with a 308 this year. 6.5 is no different.
Who’s gonna be the first to do the math for him? I laugh at the ballistic theorists who quote the superiority of the creed over the .308. That only matters on paper. In the real world and in the field on large game there’s a clear winner and it’s not even close. Frontal diameter and bullet weight matters.

FTFY.

Brakes do an excellent job of reducing recoil and muzzle rise. My sight picture barely even twitches with my braked rifle. I like that.

Here's another version of your comment "Under truth serum, 90 percent of brake haters would admit they don't wear hearing protection when they shoot."
LOL
At my club, there is an active group campaigning to set up a separate range area for the braked rifles....Such is the consensus that braked rifles are especially obnoxious to other shooters.
BTW, I wear earplugs AND muffs during a range outing.

Antares

WKR
Well I'm generally the only shooter on the line at my range, so not much of an issue there, but if were talking about what's "obnoxious to other shooters"... repetitive AR mag dumps get my vote.

fmyth

WKR
What do you think I've been doing by telling him to get a caliber he can shoot? Sorry its not what wants to be heard, but it's good advice.

Norma golden target which is a shitty choice for a hunting bullet, and then Hornady match and ELD-X which is iffy and your screwed if you rifle doesn't like it.

147gr ELD-M's cost me an entire stage in a PRS match. Beyond 600 yards the bullets were literally blowing up mid flight and that was only at 6.5 creedmoor velocities out of an 8 twist Bartlein. There are many others who have had ELD bullets do the same thing. No way in hell would I trust those bullets on a hunt.
Now I've heard it all:

"Beyond 600 yards the bullets were literally blowing up mid flight and that was only at 6.5 creedmoor velocities out of an 8 twist Bartlein."

Last edited:
Now I've hear it all:

"Beyond 600 yards the bullets were literally blowing up mid flight and that was only at 6.5 creedmoor velocities out of an 8 twist Bartlein."

The spotter was literally watching the puff of them blowing apart mid air and you could see fragments raining down kicking up dust all over. Believe what you want but I’m not the only one to have the same issue.

Shall I continue? I could literally spend a couple hours copy and pasting threads of people having the same problem. Hornady ELD’s are junk.

fmyth

WKR
The spotter was literally watching the puff of them blowing apart mid air and you could see fragments raining down kicking up dust all over. Believe what you want but I’m not the only one to have the same issue.

Shall I continue? I could literally spend a couple hours copy and pasting threads of people having the same problem. Hornady ELD’s are junk.
The 2 elk, 3 mule deer and 1 antelope my rifle has killed with ELDMs and X's are enough evidence for me. You can keep copy and pasting and I'll I go kill another elk with my ELDMs.

bmart2622

WKR
The 2 elk, 3 mule deer and 1 antelope my rifle has killed with ELDMs and X's are enough evidence for me. You can keep copy and pasting and I'll I go kill another elk with my ELDMs.
Hes forgotten more than youll ever know, just ask him

So there’s no issues with them at all because you haven’t had any 😂

People like you are good entertainment with your head in the sand.

@redneckbmxer24 isn't the keyboard warrior in this discussion. I think he's been pretty kind while being laughed at and attacked and I also think you folks are underestimating his knowledge/experience.

@fmyth - ELDm and Atip blowups are a thing. I don't see a reason to laugh at somone who's put more of them down range than you and seen it happen. There are a lot of competitive shooters who've been effed by their ELDm not making it to the target intact. IIRC barrel heat is a common trend though, might not be as common with cool bores.

fmyth

WKR
@redneckbmxer24 isn't the keyboard warrior in this discussion. I think he's been pretty kind while being laughed at and attacked and I also think you folks are underestimating his knowledge/experience.

@fmyth - ELDm and Atip blowups are a thing. I don't see a reason to laugh at somone who's put more of them down range than you and seen it happen. There are a lot of competitive shooters who've been effed by their ELDm not making it to the target intact. IIRC barrel heat is a common trend though, might not be as common with cool bores.
The OP posted asking for advice about a .300wm for hunting big game under 400 yards. He didn't ask for advice on shooting 147G ELDMs out of a 6.5PRC in a competition. All of my experience shooting animals with .300WM ELDM's have been under 400 yards and all have resulted in dead animals. I could give a rats ass if 6.5PRC 147G ELDMs vaporize at 600 yards during a competition.

The OP posted asking for advice about a .300wm for hunting big game under 400 yards. He didn't ask for advice on shooting 147G ELDMs out of a 6.5PRC in a competition. All of my experience shooting animals with .300WM ELDM's have been under 400 yards and all have resulted in dead animals. I could give a rats ass if 6.5PRC 147G ELDMs vaporize at 600 yards during a competition.

He’s considering a 6.5 PRC if you actually read the thread, so yeah 6.5mm ELD’s blowing apart mid flight is relevant and is why they came up and why I originally stated what I did about them blowing apart that you quoted and found so unbelievable.

You seem to have a trend here of being wrong.

OP
streetdoctor
I have Covid now and can't fall asleep for the life of me.... thinking last night I might just buy another Tikka T3x lite in 300wsm and be able to change it however I like. Probably cut the barrel to 21" and thread it for a suppressor. Once the suppressor clears. In the mean time I'll shoot it without or buy a Witt. I change the stock to something with more of a vertical grip and something better with recoil than the stock junk. It will probably cost me the same as the xbolt I want and have more aftermarket options. I like the tikka trigger better with a spring for sure. Also reading about the waypoint barrel life in 6.5prc has me not interested.

I have Covid now and can't fall asleep for the life of me.... thinking last night I might just buy another Tikka T3x lite in 300wsm and be able to change it however I like. Probably cut the barrel to 21" and thread it for a suppressor. Once the suppressor clears. In the mean time I'll shoot it without or buy a Witt. I change the stock to something with more of a vertical grip and something better with recoil than the stock junk. It will probably cost me the same as the xbolt I want and have more aftermarket options. I like the tikka trigger better with a spring for sure. Also reading about the waypoint barrel life in 6.5prc has me not interested.

If it’s something you’re going to travel and hunt with 300WSM may not be the best choice, ammo isn’t very plentiful locally at all. Especially in AK and remote areas. If the airline loses your ammo your screwed.

With 308, 6.5 Creed, 270, 30-06, 7MM Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag you can find a box of ammo at any sporting goods store.

OP
streetdoctor
If it’s something you’re going to travel and hunt with 300WSM may not be the best choice, ammo isn’t very plentiful locally at all. Especially in AK and remote areas. If the airline loses your ammo your screwed.

With 308, 6.5 Creed, 270, 30-06, 7MM Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag you can find a box of ammo at any sporting goods store.
7mm rem mag was my first choice but if I ever get back into reloading it seems like it's not ideal in a Tikka with magazine size issues?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP