Help with 6 ARC Build

6ARC Fresh Build

This is my first AR build, so please forgive any ignorance or things I miss..

I’m looking at building a 6ARC for hunting mostly 200 and in whitetail, and likely
Would be sub 100 yards. I like the flex of the cartridge and in the event I did have a longer shot, nice to have.

Here’s what I’m thinking. Please share any insights or feedback. Could even be some major missed, I’m open to all suggestions.

AERO M4E1 Assembled receiver set
AERO hand guard (not sure about this)
Radian Raptor-SD
Proof Barrel (leaning toward 18, but open to 16 or 12.5)
LaRue Tactical MBT-2S
Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas block
Magpul MOE-K2 grip
Magpul SL stock
Diligent Defense Enticer S-Ti

waspocrew

WKR
I've been happy with my Proof barrel. I also went with the 18". I did carbon because that's all I could find in stock at the time. If I was more patient, I would just go steel. A little more weight isn't a deal breaker and saves some $$.

I built one for a buddy with a Ballistic Advantage barrel and an AP builders set. I used a Seekins LPK and put a LaRue MBT2 in it as well. Shoots incredibly well, makes 600yds pretty easy off a set of bipods.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I have been real happy with all of my ballistic advantage barrels. I have a 16” 6.5 Grendel barrel that is stainless and fluted that comes in lighter than a carbon barrel and it was waaay cheaper. It’s a great shooter. I also use Aero receivers and hand guards so good choice there.

OP
P
I've been happy with my Proof barrel. I also went with the 18". I did carbon because that's all I could find in stock at the time. If I was more patient, I would just go steel. A little more weight isn't a deal breaker and saves some $$.
I’m feeling better about the 18” the more I look at it. As much as I’d like the weight savings, I think I’d prefer the heavier wallet too ha.

OP
P
I built one for a buddy with a Ballistic Advantage barrel and an AP builders set. I used a Seekins LPK and put a LaRue MBT2 in it as well. Shoots incredibly well, makes 600yds pretty easy off a set of bipods.
Heard such great things about that trigger and half the price of some of the other high end ones. Excited to get that built.

OP
P
I have been real happy with all of my ballistic advantage barrels. I have a 16” 6.5 Grendel barrel that is stainless and fluted that comes in lighter than a carbon barrel and it was waaay cheaper. It’s a great shooter. I also use Aero receivers and hand guards so good choice there.
Going to have to give those a look. Heard some good things about BA barrels. Good to have options especially to save a little cash.

I had a faxon 16” gunner barrel that shot really well when I first build mine. My form 1 can though is heavy and it had too much shift when I mounted it on the light profile, so it now has a 16” proof steel barrel that shoots well. It’s a bit front heavy now and I likely wouldn’t walk around with it much for fun.

I wouldn’t be scared to build a 12.5” in this caliber for what you’re using it for.

OP
P
We went with the 18” barrel and put a standard .750 gas block on it. We shoot suppressed with zero issue.
That’s helpful. Going to be a gun I’m walking with and think that’ll still be a good mobile gun. How’s the weight for you with stand and shoot?

OP
P
I had a faxon 16” gunner barrel that shot really well when I first build mine. My form 1 can though is heavy and it had too much shift when I mounted it on the light profile, so it now has a 16” proof steel barrel that shoots well. It’s a bit front heavy now and I likely wouldn’t walk around with it much for fun.

I wouldn’t be scared to build a 12.5” in this caliber for what you’re using it for.
Interesting. Thats my one hesitation with the longer barrel. I’m going to be walking through brush and walking a decent way. Nothing too crazy and there’s plenty of open areas, but it does get think. I was doing it with a 22” previously so it’s not totally foreign, but did want to optimize where I can.

That’s helpful. Going to be a gun I’m walking with and think that’ll still be a good mobile gun. How’s the weight for you with stand and shoot?
I don’t think it’s an issue, but I have been carrying and shooting an AR for almost 30 years…….

Fireflyfishing

Lil-Rokslider
The short barrel would be adequate for the distances you’ll be shooting. It would also be easy to shoot off hand and not be long with a suppressor.

I’d pick the 18”, for me. Living out west and facing longer shots is the norm so I’d want more velocity.

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm currently in the process of changing my 16" to a 12.5". If you are going to run suppressed I highly suggest the Superlative piston system. 6mm ARC suppressed is dirty dirty. Even with a piston and a flow through suppressor mine is still filthy.

OP
P
I'm currently in the process of changing my 16" to a 12.5". If you are going to run suppressed I highly suggest the Superlative piston system. 6mm ARC suppressed is dirty dirty. Even with a piston and a flow through suppressor mine is still filthy.
Have you had a lot more success with the pistons vs the adjustable block and longer tube? Do you hand load?

What made you go to 12.5?

ChrisAU

WKR
Have you had a lot more success with the pistons vs the adjustable block and longer tube? Do you hand load?

What made you go to 12.5?

I do not handload. The pistons run much cleaner than an adjustable block and tube, but 6 ARC factory ammo is still dirty.

I have an SBR'd lower that wasn't seeing use and got annoyed with whacking my suppressor on the SxS roll bars in the dark. Plan is to shoot 58gr V-Max out of it from Druid Hills Armory.

OP
P
I do not handload. The pistons run much cleaner than an adjustable block and tube, but 6 ARC factory ammo is still dirty.

I have an SBR'd lower that wasn't seeing use and got annoyed with whacking my suppressor on the SxS roll bars in the dark. Plan is to shoot 58gr V-Max out of it from Druid Hills Armory.
Cool. I’ll definitely give that a look. Any reliability issues you’ve found with the pistons? Might be a silly question, just don’t have experience with them.

ChrisAU

WKR
Cool. I’ll definitely give that a look. Any reliability issues you’ve found with the pistons? Might be a silly question, just don’t have experience with them.

Zero. I have two of them, one a 6.5 Grendel that has killed a few whitetail and hogs, and then my 6 ARC that has killed deer, and probably over a hundred hogs and coyotes. Never an issue.