Help selecting new mountain rifle

Timjohnson11

Lil-Rokslider
I'd get an X-Bolt Speed SPR (20" barrel) in a 6.5 or 7 PRC. There should be some deals coming down the pipe (with the X-Bolt II just being released) and they are currently offering a cash back rebate deal.

They are a fine rifle out of the box. I'd take it over all the rifles you mentioend outside of the Seekins. The Tikkas are fine, especially if you want to tinker and modify it down the road, but the X-Bolt is a better handling gun out of the box. You'll need to replace the trigger spring but that is cheap, with the MCarbo spring kit running around $30 bucks last time I purchased one.

You could also buy a Seekins Havak ($1750 ish) and always have Seekins replace the barrel to a shorter, more surpressor friendly length down the road once funds are available. They do a quick barrel swap service for $550, providing the shipping labels and all, and it generally is done within 2 - 3 weeks.

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Update on this read. I was finally able to get out and handle all these rifles. I've narrowed down to three choices. I'm landing on scoping these with the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18 FFP MRAD. Seems to be best general scope, features, and weight for the cost. All will have Scythe Ti.

* Seekins Havak Element 6.5 PRC, 21", 5.5 lbs, $2400
* Seekings Havak Element 7 PRC, 22", 6 lbs, $2800
* Tikka Roughtech Element 30-06, 20", 6.6 lbs, $1000

Tikka is drawing to me for cost and ability to share ammo / components with my other 4 30-06 milsurp rifles. With the new calibers, I'm torn between 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC.

This will be primary a Black Bear rifle, and I want to be able to stretch range eventually to 600 y.

6.5 PRC seems to be the ticket for weight and recoil but I'm skeptical of performance at close range with ELDM/X or 156 Berger, and performance with less than optimal shot angles.

7 PRC seems to be the ticket for optimal ballistics and guarantee of performance no matter the game or shot angle. However, the extra half pound of weight and 40% increase in recoil is a lot. I want to be able to spot my shots, and this seems skeptical. Also 22" barrel seems a little long with the Scythe Ti for walking around western washington mountains.

And I am planning on reloading for any of these calibers

sylvest

FNG
I have a 6.5PRC Mesa FFT that shoots lights out to 600yds which is furthest range I've got. I honestly would shoot the Federal Terminal Ascent if you're going to be hunting. Awesome performance on game and super accurate. Holds together much better than Hornady or Berger on game.

Gone4Days

WKR
I have the CA Mesa FFT in 6.5 prc and like it a lot. Sub MOA and 20” factory barrel

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up getting the Seekins Havak Element in 6.5 PRC. Bank account isn't happy, but can't ask for a better balanced cartridge and rifle for hunting black bear in the mountains out to 500 yards
I went down a similar rabbit hole and ended up on the Seekins Element in .308, topped it was a Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18 FFP and its an absolutely amazing setup. My new mountain rifle for most hunting situations. Great choice!

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
I went down a similar rabbit hole and ended up on the Seekins Element in .308, topped it was a Trijicon Tenmile HX 3-18 FFP and its an absolutely amazing setup. My new mountain rifle for most hunting situations. Great choice!
Nice set up! I almost got the tenmile, but pulling the trigger on a used NXS 2.5-10

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Nice I was considering a Nightforce but wanted a FFP and found the trijicon ons ale for $1070 so jumped on that deal
The used Nightforce turned out to be a scam haha, gonna try and pick up the Maven Rs1.2 when it's back in stock

BCD

WKR
I'd get an X-Bolt Speed SPR (20" barrel) in a 6.5 or 7 PRC. There should be some deals coming down the pipe (with the X-Bolt II just being released) and they are currently offering a cash back rebate deal.

They are a fine rifle out of the box. I'd take it over all the rifles you mentioend outside of the Seekins. The Tikkas are fine, especially if you want to tinker and modify it down the road, but the X-Bolt is a better handling gun out of the box. You'll need to replace the trigger spring but that is cheap, with the MCarbo spring kit running around $30 bucks last time I purchased one.

You could also buy a Seekins Havak ($1750 ish) and always have Seekins replace the barrel to a shorter, more surpressor friendly length down the road once funds are available. They do a quick barrel swap service for $550, providing the shipping labels and all, and it generally is done within 2 - 3 weeks.
Where are you seeing cash back rebates for xbolts?

Thank You!

You’ll love your Element. I also have one in 6.5 PRC. Shoots great especially suppressed. Carries even better

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
Ultra light rifles are a bit like dating a gal from the local gentleman's club: picky on what they like to eat and a bit higher maintenance. If you reload, should be able to get a load to group well and always check zero before a hunt.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ultra light rifles are a bit like dating a gal from the local gentleman's club: picky on what they like to eat and a bit higher maintenance. If you reload, should be able to get a load to group well and always check zero before a hunt.
Amen to that, I couldnt get a decent group using hornady superperformance 165gr CX rounds at 3$ a round but reloading with Barnes TTSX 168gr got me .56MOA. Need to do some more testing with the load and shoot some 10round strings but reloading definitely helps hone in those groups.Image-1 (002).jpg

Hello! I’m looking to pick up a new mountain rifle after having heaps of problems with my Ruger American in 30-06. I’ve had the stock break (ruger replaced), and I have not been able to find a load that consistently groups under 1.5 moa. Almost every 5 shot group will have a flyer.

Specs are below, but I’m currently looking to choose 6.5 prc as my next cartridge. Although I am contemplating 7 prc due to the fact I will be mainly hunting bear. I do plan on reloading for this rifle, but I am extremely new to reloading so I will be shooting lots of factory ammo to start.

I’ll be putting on a Scythe Ti (in jail), and I am picking up a NXS 2.5-10 soon.

These are the spec / purposes I’m intending

• Mainly will be hunting bear, then possibly elk and deer
  • Hunting style is mainly spot and stalk hunting, and predator calling
  • Reliable and lightweight
  • Shorter barrel in order to run Scythe Ti
  • Ability to find a good load without much trouble
  • Ability to put into a chassis for long term (XLR)
  • Ability to replace barrels without a massive hassle / cost

I’ve narrowed down to a few rifles, and found deals for each.
  • 6.5 PRC, Mesa FFT, 20”, 5.5lbs, $1027
  • 6.5 PRC, Roughtech Ember, 24”, 6.6 lbs, $1084
  • 6.5 PRC, S20 Hunter, 24”, 7.4 lbs, $1000
  • 6.5 PRC, X-bolt Speed SR, 20” 6.5 lbs, $1183
  • 6.5 PRC, Ruger American Go Wild, 24”, 7.1lbs, $530
  • 7 PRC, Mesa FFT, 22”, 5.5 lbs, $1172
  • 7 PRC, Ruger American Gen 2, 22”, 6.5 lbs $600
  • 7 PRC, Browning X-bolt Stalker, 20”, 7.5 lbs, $678
  • 30-06, Roughtech Ember, 20”, 6.6 lbs, $1084

I think the Seekins Element is a near perfect rifle, but man it’s just too expensive.

I’m debating between the Mesa FFT and the Roughtech Ember, both in 6.5 prc. The Mesa FFT has near perfect stats on paper, but I’m worried about QC. The Ember seems to be 100% reliable, but it’s a little heavier and around Seattle the going rate for barrel cuts seems to be $180+.
I hate to add more rifles to the list but the Ruger American Gen2 in your calibers might be a good option.

TaperPin

WKR
It might or might not have kinks to work out, but the machining and finish on the CA Mesa is really good. I have a Mesa 6.5 PRC barrel on my Remington and the machining and chambering look as good as a custom barrel, and it shoots great.

Chatting with a gunsmith that has set up a few dozen CA rifles, he thinks they are probably the most accurate for the price of any rifles on the market.

sylvest

FNG
It might or might not have kinks to work out, but the machining and finish on the CA Mesa is really good. I have a Mesa 6.5 PRC barrel on my Remington and the machining and chambering look as good as a custom barrel, and it shoots great.

Chatting with a gunsmith that has set up a few dozen CA rifles, he thinks they are probably the most accurate for the price of any rifles on the market.
All my CAs have shot lights out and I haven't had any issues. 6.5PRC, 7 rem mag, 308

OP
mopar411

mopar411

FNG
Just an update here, been loving the Havak Element. I have the Scythe-Ti can, and mavin rs1.2 on it. Consistently shoots 0.75" groups with ELDM and 1.00" with ELDX. Super light weight, little recoil, and was able to tag a bear last week with it! Couldn't be better. Now to find a good training rifle..