Help please

OP
B

Barton14

FNG
Monos are long for thier weight so you would need a faster twist rate to stabilize at longer distances . So if I went to a 200 grain lead bullet would that cause problems also at long distance?

OP
B

Barton14

FNG
I want to stick with a bonded bullet if I can I will let the rifle tell me . But I have tryed 180 swift scrocco ii , 150 fusions , 180 power max bonded ,and 180 grain Sierra tipped game king

11boo

WKR
If you are expecting 2” groups at 400 yards because you got 1/2” at one hundred yards you have a lot of work ahead.

OP
B

Barton14

FNG
So I guess a better question would be . Does bullet length have any factor with what a rifle prefers over another ? . And if the Barnes won’t shoot great at 400 then a heavyer lead bullet would do the same as the monos .?

I think your maybe oversimplifying bullet stability.

Bullet length, twist rate, velocity and ambient pressure are the key factors. MVx720/twist rate = rotational rpm.

Longer bullets need more rpm. Copper bullets tend to be longer than lead bullets of a similar weight due the copper being less dense.

If a bullet leaves the barrel at an RPM that will stabilize it, it will tend to remain stable through its flight due to rotational RPM slowing down at slow rate as to not really come into play for the situation.

This type of understanding is why folks question your statements around the Barnes bullets shooting great at 100 but not 400, and Not being stable at long distances.

If the bullet is stable and on a good path at 100, then reason would have a person believe it would still be stable and on a good path at 400.

You need to look into your shooting (the nut behind the bolt) and your sighting system (the scope) if your accuracy falls apart between 100 and 400 yards as you seem to describe.

Keep in mind I'm going off the premise that you and your rifle shoot the 180 Barnes at ~1/2moa at 100 and ~2moa at 400. (That's OK shooting by the way. Much better than I've seen from others who use Lead Sleds.)

OP
B

Barton14

FNG
Ok fair enough thanks for you imput I will try to figure out what I’m doing wrong and maybe change something’s thanks for the help

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
As for what the rifle rest on I shoot off a bench with my lead sled but will switch to my bi pod and a bag under the rifle.
My money is on this being an issue. I despise lead sleds, but if you're saying you're getting good groups out of a sled on a bench and poor groups off the bipod and bags shooting a 300WM, I'm guessing you're fighting recoil management or have an issue with form.

Not a scammer . Just don’t know correct punctuation. As for what the rifle rest on I shoot off a bench with my lead sled but will switch to my bi pod and a bag under the rifle. I mainly hunt whitetail but I do go on some hunts out west so I want a bullet that will do good for deer to elk . Would 200 grain be a to much for a little deer.? I have yet to find a lead core bullet to shoot as good as the Barnes so maybe a 165 ttsx ?
run 180gr. Hornady SST, I shoot a Remingtom LSS in 300 win. mag deadly out to 600 yards, as that is the longest range available. Hunting buddy shoots a Tika in same cal. and same load does very well. His last Antelope was around 550 yards dropped in its tracks.