Help please

Barton14

FNG
Hello world I am new here but I had some questions for anybody who is willing to help I recently got a Remington 700 and 300 win mag and I bought a bunch of ammo from different brands with different bullet weights the gun really likes the Barnes Vortx 180 grain tip TSX but when shooting at three and 400 yards my groups double in size at 100 yards and shoot a half inch at 400 yards it’s just about 8 inches but when I try what bullets with similar weight they don’t shoot as accurate as a copper bullets do this is my question to anybody who can help me understand this

def90

WKR
Some barrels like some ammo better than others, find the brand and bullet it likes best and stick with it.

As for bullet weight your barrels rifling twist rate is going to make a difference. Twist rate and bullet rate are intertwined in regards to bullet stabilization. You typically want a tighter twist rate the heavier the bullet.

Barnes says with their bullets you can go down in weight with theirs from what your rifle likes in lead core, so if you’re getting good groups with their 180’s try 200 gr lead core offerings. The Barnes bullets have a relatively low bc so they slow down faster than a good lead core. If you reload give the hornady sst 180’s a shot

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Hello world I am new here but I had some questions for anybody who is willing to help I recently got a Remington 700 and 300 win mag and I bought a bunch of ammo from different brands with different bullet weights the gun really likes the Barnes Vortx 180 grain tip TSX but when shooting at three and 400 yards my groups double in size at 100 yards and shoot a half inch at 400 yards it’s just about 8 inches but when I try what bullets with similar weight they don’t shoot as accurate as a copper bullets do this is my question to anybody who can help me understand this
So you’re shooting a sub 1 inch group at 100 yards but an 8 inch group at 400 yards? Are your shooting off a bench, bipod, tripod? Some sort of rest under the butt end of the stock (sand bag, etc.)? The glass on the gun shouldn’t make that much of a difference unless it’s really low quality. Is your barrel resting on anything that could disturb its harmonics? Are you an experienced shooter or a novice? It could be any number of variables that are causing a 2 MOA group at 400 yards.

Also, it is pretty easy for a novice shooter to shoot a sub 1 inch group at 100 yards and the ammo isn’t going to have too much effect on it. I would say that if you can’t replicate the same results at distance then either the gun doesn’t actually like the ammo or you’re trying to shoot beyond what you are actually capable of.

Have you considered and adjusted for parallax, or made sure your positioning is consistent to reduce parallax issues.

OP
B

Barton14

FNG
Not a scammer . Just don’t know correct punctuation. As for what the rifle rest on I shoot off a bench with my lead sled but will switch to my bi pod and a bag under the rifle. I mainly hunt whitetail but I do go on some hunts out west so I want a bullet that will do good for deer to elk . Would 200 grain be a to much for a little deer.? I have yet to find a lead core bullet to shoot as good as the Barnes so maybe a 165 ttsx ?

CRJR45

WKR
Not a scammer . Just don’t know correct punctuation. As for what the rifle rest on I shoot off a bench with my lead sled but will switch to my bi pod and a bag under the rifle. I mainly hunt whitetail but I do go on some hunts out west so I want a bullet that will do good for deer to elk . Would 200 grain be a to much for a little deer.? I have yet to find a lead core bullet to shoot as good as the Barnes so maybe a 165 ttsx ?
Glad you didn't get offended by my doubting you . The best bullet for deer , is the one you can hit it with , meaning shoot what works best for your gun , IMO. But , you will get a lot of different opinions . I've shot deer with a .243 105 grain bullet , but I've shot deer with a 7mmRM 150 grain bullet . The 165 ttsx is a great bullet .

CRJR45

WKR
Takes a lot to do so . Same I loved my 22-250 and a 55 gr vmax but I got this rifle not long ago and want to get the thing ready
It's a great round , maybe a little heavy for deer , but you won't get many run away , LOL. I'm not the best person to tell about the .300 WM , but someone else will have some good imput , this is the right place to ask the questions you have , but good luck .

S-3 ranch

WKR
Run what you brung , ain’t no such thing as over kill , underwhelmed by a small caliber yes
a barns mono bullet is designed for 3300fps—1800fps whether 150gr or 220 gr , 30cal , they all kill deer , elk