Help planning an Alaska moose hunt

cnelk

WKR
I’ve done two diy fly-inAlaska moose hunts in the last 5 years. Successful both times.

The first one takes a lot of research and logistical preparation. A lot.

The second one is a bit easier as you remember the mistakes you made on the first.

Last September I took a buddy up to Alaska. I didn’t hunt, just along for the fun times.

With all the stuff falling into place, the cost was $5500 for my buddy and $2800 for me. Door to Door (Colorado-Alaska-Colorado)

The first thing you do is find an area you want to hunt moose. Then find a pilot. Or vice versa

What worked for me may not work for you so I can’t really give many pointers.

Good luck - Alaska is waiting

2D787714-0987-4BAD-A987-AD798D46D39E.jpeg

MWH

FNG
My wife and I are headed up in September for a drop caribou hunt with ram aviation. It’s only March and we are both chomping at the bit to go. Should be an amazing trip with the Mrs and I hope more than anything o can get her on a really really nice hard horned bull with a white cape. That’s what she’s after. I can assure you it won’t be from a lack of trying. Packing a caribou 2-3 miles or potentially further won’t deter us one bit.

I’ve been hunting Colorado for the last 4 years with those 4 years being the only experience I have of western big game hunting. Being from Texas, it’s not easy getting to hunt out west. In the last 4 years I’ve taken 2 bull elk, passed a few others, and guided my wife to get her a pope and young bull last year. (Just had it scored). What I’ve learned over the last 4 years about myself is I think I love the remoteness, solitude, grind, and adventure as much if not more than the harvest. I’m in my mid 30’s and pretty good shape (the Mrs. is in insanely great shape from bodybuilding)since I go to the gym 4/5 days a week, however, I have two small herniated discs in my lower back and they aren’t getting better by any means. With that being said, my days and years of pushing myself are numbered unless I can figure out the back issue. With how hard and expensive things are getting combined with the back, it’s best I go sooner rather than later.

So, I’m hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction for a diy moose hunt. Nothing against outfitted hunts but that’s just not quite my style. I like hunting solo or with one other person and $20k+ for a moose just doesn’t appeal to me. Like anyone, I’d love to take a giant but I also wouldn’t turn my nose up at anything legal. Hopefully the wife can go again to Alaska but with anticipation of starting a family next year, it very well may not happen. And most likely this hunt will be 2-3 years out anyways. I also understand that most transporters won’t take a solo moose hunter for fear of meat spoilage so I’ll have to find someone to jump in with me ( hint hint ). I have all the gear (hilli black label tent, WM zero degree bag, filtration system, stoves, clothing, etc) necessary to survive what ever weather Alaska can throw at a person during September. So hear really isn’t a main concern.

With it being a diy hunt, are there transporters that have areas they fly into that have moose and is that a higher gamble than other options? I know they can’t tell you anything about the animals and can only fly you in and out. I prefer to be flown into an area vs raft simply bc with it being the first time chasing moose, I wouldn’t want to over complicate things. Also, the views of some of the more remote areas are stunning. That sucks n itself may very well be worth being flown in. I do understand that if there aren’t any moose in that area it can make for a long hunt seeing nothing.

What areas in Alaska would one want to focus their research on or spend the most time looking into. Areas being with higher moose populations or better genetics (if that’s the case with moose). Or if there is a way to research that I would definitely research it if I had an idea of where to look.

I have read where some people research areas (units, drainages, valleys, terrain, etc) that they want to hunt and hire a pilot to fly them into those areas. What are some determining factors when looking for specific spots and not relying on an outfitter/pilot to drop you into prime areas? Food, foliage, elevation, terrain, etc?

I’m sure there will be plenty more questions and hoping this thread leads to some questions I haven’t even thought of. I know there are some guys on here that have put in hours and days and months of research. I’m not asking for freebies or to be handed anything. Just help getting going in the right direction. If anyone wants to share anything via pm that’s welcomed too and nothing shared with me privately would ever be shared to another individual.

Thanks for any help and insight. I have learned a ton of info from this forum and have been given some priceless advice from members throughout the years. Not only have I learned a ton, this forum has inspired me to chase my passions and find a way to make it work instead of sitting and wishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I booked two spots for 2023 and 2024 with Gods country aviation but am hopeful to hear back from another member who will go with me next year. That leaves 2024 available but I will be hunting with Issac every year he’s available. If 2024 doesn’t work for you I would be happy to talk about future years but haven’t found a hunting partner yet that wants to hunt moose in Alaska every year. Unfortunately I don’t have enough threads to PM you but feel free to contact me and we can talk it over more if you like. Michael

My wife and I are headed up in September for a drop caribou hunt with ram aviation. It’s only March and we are both chomping at the bit to go. Should be an amazing trip with the Mrs and I hope more than anything o can get her on a really really nice hard horned bull with a white cape. That’s what she’s after. I can assure you it won’t be from a lack of trying. Packing a caribou 2-3 miles or potentially further won’t deter us one bit.

I’ve been hunting Colorado for the last 4 years with those 4 years being the only experience I have of western big game hunting. Being from Texas, it’s not easy getting to hunt out west. In the last 4 years I’ve taken 2 bull elk, passed a few others, and guided my wife to get her a pope and young bull last year. (Just had it scored). What I’ve learned over the last 4 years about myself is I think I love the remoteness, solitude, grind, and adventure as much if not more than the harvest. I’m in my mid 30’s and pretty good shape (the Mrs. is in insanely great shape from bodybuilding)since I go to the gym 4/5 days a week, however, I have two small herniated discs in my lower back and they aren’t getting better by any means. With that being said, my days and years of pushing myself are numbered unless I can figure out the back issue. With how hard and expensive things are getting combined with the back, it’s best I go sooner rather than later.

So, I’m hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction for a diy moose hunt. Nothing against outfitted hunts but that’s just not quite my style. I like hunting solo or with one other person and $20k+ for a moose just doesn’t appeal to me. Like anyone, I’d love to take a giant but I also wouldn’t turn my nose up at anything legal. Hopefully the wife can go again to Alaska but with anticipation of starting a family next year, it very well may not happen. And most likely this hunt will be 2-3 years out anyways. I also understand that most transporters won’t take a solo moose hunter for fear of meat spoilage so I’ll have to find someone to jump in with me ( hint hint ). I have all the gear (hilli black label tent, WM zero degree bag, filtration system, stoves, clothing, etc) necessary to survive what ever weather Alaska can throw at a person during September. So hear really isn’t a main concern.

With it being a diy hunt, are there transporters that have areas they fly into that have moose and is that a higher gamble than other options? I know they can’t tell you anything about the animals and can only fly you in and out. I prefer to be flown into an area vs raft simply bc with it being the first time chasing moose, I wouldn’t want to over complicate things. Also, the views of some of the more remote areas are stunning. That sucks n itself may very well be worth being flown in. I do understand that if there aren’t any moose in that area it can make for a long hunt seeing nothing.

What areas in Alaska would one want to focus their research on or spend the most time looking into. Areas being with higher moose populations or better genetics (if that’s the case with moose). Or if there is a way to research that I would definitely research it if I had an idea of where to look.

I have read where some people research areas (units, drainages, valleys, terrain, etc) that they want to hunt and hire a pilot to fly them into those areas. What are some determining factors when looking for specific spots and not relying on an outfitter/pilot to drop you into prime areas? Food, foliage, elevation, terrain, etc?

I’m sure there will be plenty more questions and hoping this thread leads to some questions I haven’t even thought of. I know there are some guys on here that have put in hours and days and months of research. I’m not asking for freebies or to be handed anything. Just help getting going in the right direction. If anyone wants to share anything via pm that’s welcomed too and nothing shared with me privately would ever be shared to another individual.

Thanks for any help and insight. I have learned a ton of info from this forum and have been given some priceless advice from members throughout the years. Not only have I learned a ton, this forum has inspired me to chase my passions and find a way to make it work instead of sitting and wishing.

Hope your Caribou hunt went well. Sitting in the same boat as you age and back issue wise. I’m on Aggie Land, so depending on where you’re located we might be able to meet up and chat. I’m in the same basic planning steps you are and looking at the same transporters.

OP
ddavis_1313
Hope your Caribou hunt went well. Sitting in the same boat as you age and back issue wise. I’m on Aggie Land, so depending on where you’re located we might be able to meet up and chat. I’m in the same basic planning steps you are and looking at the same transporters.

Caribou hunt went well other than bears wiping us out in two days eating all of the meat. Dang grizzlies were everywhere including in camp. Wife shot a nice bou and I passed on one the same day while we were quartering hers up. Otherwise, the entire trip was a blast!
d517a29d3f4793b9e6b72c7deab1a7e2.jpg

73983933b8250ce852b9710cee1b11e1.jpg

2d20bfb10bb1a0e1006dbd199e4a1fdd.jpg

Last pic is of a float trip we did down the Kenai River catching rainbow trout. We got to see the color change during the 5 days we were on the Kenai peninsula.

OP
ddavis_1313

If you’re in Aggie land, I’m down in tomball. My wife graduated from A&M with a mechanical engineering degree so all Aggies welcome here! Lol

mdick123

FNG
I booked two spots for 2023 and 2024 with Gods country aviation but am hopeful to hear back from another member who will go with me next year. That leaves 2024 available but I will be hunting with Issac every year he’s available. If 2024 doesn’t work for you I would be happy to talk about future years but haven’t found a hunting partner yet that wants to hunt moose in Alaska every year. Unfortunately I don’t have enough threads to PM you but feel free to contact me and we can talk it over more if you like. Michael
I am new to the forum but have been researching a DIY moose hunt in Alaska and have been strongly considering Gods Country as well. I do not believe I have a way of sending you a PM being new but am interested in going in 2024 and would like to talk to you a little more about it, if you are still looking for someone.

MWH

FNG
I’m waiting to hear back from both of them but they were going to contact Issac to ask him questions seeing as I haven’t used Gods Country as a transporter yet. I responded to his thread because he was looking for a hunt 2-3 years out but it may be simpler to wait until I hunt next year and can show pics and answer any questions a person would have. I’m going to wait to hear back from both of them before looking to fill those spots but if you are active enough on this site and are allowed to PM me I would be happy to talk.

If you’re in Aggie land, I’m down in tomball. My wife graduated from A&M with a mechanical engineering degree so all Aggies welcome here! Lol

I’m on Tomball a good bit for work. Not an Aggie myself but I obviously don’t have any issues with them since I managed to surround myself with them.

I’ll shoot you a PM and maybe next time I’m that way or you’re up here we can grab a beer and swap stories. I just got back from a hunt in the Gila