Help me select a hunting backpack!

CC268

FNG
Hey guys, so I have done some research and called the guys at Kifaru and Kuiu to narrow down my pack selection to a couple choices. I hope you will take the time to read this whole thread to help me out. I appreciate it.

Background: I live in Arizona and do a decent amount of coyote hunting. I don't need much pack for this as they are usually 30 minute stands and then I am back at the truck. I also do some deer and elk hunting which are usually more like day trips. Some of the terrain for deer and elk hunting can be pretty strenuous and I usually have to hike back into canyons or other tough terrain. All the below backpacks have a nice frame, which is important for these hikes.

What I am looking for: A backpack that is small enough for coyote hunting, but something that is big enough or can expand to work for day trips (it would be nice to have something that would be big enough for some camping gear for 1-2 days). Overall, I don't think I need a massive pack, but something that is versatile for the longer trips would be nice. Keep in mind I am a college student, so in some ways cheaper is better for me. The Kuiu is definitely the cheapest option.

Here are my selections:

- Kifaru Spike Camp
- Kifaru Late Season
- Kifaru Nomad w/ Bikini Frame
- Kuiu Ultra 3000

My overall impressions:

The Spike Camp would be an excellent coyote pack, but it may be too small for longer trips.

The Late Season may be a good medium, small enough for coyote hunting, but big enough for the longer trips. Both of the previous packs do not need the Bikini Frame which would save me a ton of cash. Top contender for sure.

The Nomad is probably the most versatile, and it is very attractive for my application, but having to wear the Bikini Frame at all times (especially when coyote hunting) might be a bit bulky for my needs and unnecessary. Also, it is very modular and there are many add ons that can be bought. VERY VERY pricey for someone like me though, easily upwards of $700+.

The Kuiu Ultra 3000 is nice because it comes with the new Ultra carbon frame and would probably be small enough for coyote hunting, but plenty big for longer trips. It is also the cheapest option. However, the camo that Kuiu offers doesn't match any of the camo I wear, which I suppose isn't a big deal, but it would definitely mismatch my camo. The Kuiu seems like an excellent choice for the money. I can also use the frame with the Ultra 6000 bag which can be bought for $120 if I ever decide I need something bigger.

Just watching the different videos from Kifaru and Kuiu I really like the Kuiu for the price. The gun holster is pretty slick too. At this point I am personally leaning towards the Kuiu.

Any help deciding between these packs is much appreciated. Thanks.

Personally I would forget KUIU. Great clothing, enough said. If you get a Kifaru Bikini frame, you are set for life. Having that frame enables you to attach a small bag for day trips. A huge bag for week long adventures. Or no bag and a load sling for just hauling game or gear. You can use a Kifaru packbag, a couple Mystery Ranch bags can be fit onto the Bikini. ALL Hill People Gear attaches to the Bikini frame. One suspension and a LOT of options to attach to it. It does not get any better than that.

AS far a comfort goes. It does not get any more comfortable than the Bikini that I have found yet. I strictly bow hunt. I wear it ALL DAY LONG. Hiking, Stalking, Shooting. It does not matter. Super comfortable NO RESTRICTIONS!!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One is proven performer but you'll have to diligently search for a great deal they do their value. I agree with hammer get a bikini frame and you'll have options for bags to fit whatever you need from coyotes to moose. vacation is to valuable to worry about a failure that could ruin a trip

OP
C

CC268

FNG
I just have a rough time justifying spending $400+ for the frame alone and then buying bags after that. That could be an insane amount of money for a 20 year old college kid. I don't doubt for one moment that Kifaru is top notch stuff and it would be an incredible pack. Please keep in mind that I am not an avid hunter by any stretch of the imagination. I usually put in for the elk and deer draw here in AZ, but if I don't get drawn I don't hunt deer or elk that year (just occasional coyote hunting). I didn't get drawn for elk this year, we will see if I get drawn for deer in the next couple months. I know most of you guys on here are hardcore avid hunters, but I am really not in that category. Please keep that in mind as well.

One thing I really disliked about the Kifaru Nomad was the gun holder. You have to unstrap 4-6 straps just to get to your gun. The Kuiu gun bearer is easily accessible if I needed to take a relatively quick shot.

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS for other packs that may be more reasonable for me, please let me know. I have a friend who is an AVID bow hunter and he has a Badlands pack, but I don't know much about them.

OP
C

CC268

FNG
Sounds like you mind is already made up. Purchase the pack you want and can afford and enjoy.

Yes and no. I do like to hear others' opinions. Worse comes to worse I can use my $20 dollar backpack I got from Walmart for coyote hunting in the meantime. I am just not sure it is worth spending bookoo money on a pack when I don't hunt as much as a lot of other people. Just trying to be reasonable, that's all.

kodiakfly

WKR
What about a non-hunting internal frame in a 4,000-5,000 inch range? If you're an occasional hunter, you don't need the hardest of the hard core bags. I've got a few Arc'Teryx Bora backpacks that "could" work for hunting but I do hunt often, so I've gone with dedicated hunting bags that'll handle all the brush, 100 lbs loads, blood, rocks etc. But you can save a lot of money by not buying a 500D fabric bag, and finding something on sale at REI.

If you're set on the bags listed above, Kifaru no doubt. There's a few Nomads that've been for sale recently as guys get them and they're just not into that style of pack and they move on. But for the price, the Kuiu would work for what you describe and it'd be sellable as well. But my vote goes to Kifaru

OP
C

CC268

FNG
I will still prefer a hunting pack, as I don't really do any general backpacking, so I don't see a reason to not get a hunting pack, even if it costs a bit more. Tough choice I guess, I may just have to wait till after college and decide if it is worth it to spend the cash.

I was in your shoes as well. I bought several different types of bags and then splurged on a nomad/bikini and wont turn back. The thing carries my crossbow and blind like a dream. I only day hunt in the midwest but could see how these bags are treasured by the hunters of the west. You could also look at like maybe a kelty bag or a moutaineering backpack they could also suffice for what you need it for.

Sounds like you would really like the Horn Hunter Full Curl System. It's 3 packs in one. A frame with storage, a small day pack adding more capacity than the frame alone, and a 3000ci camp bag for longer endeavors.

Have you looked at eberlestock? the J34 is a nicepack with the dragonfly being a stiffer frame. Either of these arent going to "feel" any better than the kifaru bikini, just as it fits on back. I have a duplex and use it for everything and it never bothers me. I have the duplex/nomad and I wouldnt think it would be a good coyote pack if trying to use an electronic caller and using a gunbearer with it. I love my kifaru and wouldnt trade it for anything but I have specific purpose, that being modularity and hauling ability. I do backpack hunting using the duplex and DT1 bag and it works great. I switch to the nomad on for "dayhunting" (sometimes I end up miles from the truck) and carrying my longrange rifle and still have the ability to haul the meat back in one trip, last year I used a cargo panel and it worked well. It doesnt sound like you need or want the same abilities so I would recommend an eberlestock x3 lodrag or gunslinger II or I. If those dont have enough ci than look at the others I meantioned earlier. Eberlestocks feel great till over 45lbs.

Sounds like you would really like the Horn Hunter Full Curl System. It's 3 packs in one. A frame with storage, a small day pack adding more capacity than the frame alone, and a 3000ci camp bag for longer endeavors.

I will x2 ^^. I had this pack and for it is, it is really nice. I went with a Kifaru, because it better suits my needs, but for what your describing I believe a horn hunter full curl would be perfect.

PA 5-0

WKR
Look for a used Icon 3000 or 5200. For what you want and price you should be happy with it.

+1 what he said. I use my Icon 3000 for exactly the hunts you are doing. Yotes, deer, and elk where I am operating out of a base camp. Love it. Really light and compresses to nothing. I strap on the 5200 bag when I need more room. Cant beat the price. Good luck.

ckleeves

WKR
Have you looked at Mystery Ranch? A Dragon Slayer or Bighorn kinda sound what your looking for. The DS is pretty small but you can go overnight if you pack light. They aren't the most comfortable for heavy load hauling but they won't let you down if you have to stuff 100 lbs in one.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Kifaru Bikini is a great versatile option, but it will cost you a pretty penny when all said and done. I own a bikini, late season and the new exo which I think might be your best option for your price range. It compresses down as small or smaller than my late season but expands to a very large pack. It is very comfortable both with light and heavier weights. The customer service seems to be great so far and the pack is very well designed. In fact I think it is my favorite bag so far. You cant go wrong with either of those two options.

OP
C

CC268

FNG

That seems like a really cool system, just watched a Youtube video on it.

OP
C

CC268

FNG
I haven't looked that much into Eberlestock because someone said they are pretty heavy packs...not sure how true that is.

OP
C

CC268

FNG
Look for a used Icon 3000 or 5200. For what you want and price you should be happy with it.

Don't you have to buy the frame as well though? I will have to see what the used prices are I suppose.