Help me pick a rifle for my kids

hunt1up

WKR
I've got a 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter. Both are on the smaller side for their age but they're growing quick. They've each killed a few deer and turkey with crossbow and muzzleloaders and can shoot pretty well. It's time to get them a proper centerfire for elk, deer, etc. in the near future. I'll probably be taking the boy on a free range Axis deer hunt and the daughter for cow elk next year.

I've basically narrowed down my choices for caliber to 7mm-08, .308, and maybe 6.5CM. I do not handload and don't expect I ever will. I'd like to stick to vanilla calibers due to ammo availability, price, and variety. For example, there's over 40 types of .308 in stock at Midway right now. I can run some Hornady Custom Lite stuff to start them out and work up to more potent loads from there.

Rifles to consider:

Budget Friendly:
Ruger American
Savage Apex or Axis XP

Snobby and more quality:
Browning X-Bolt Micro (has a brake)
Tikka T3x Compact

I know everyone makes an accurate factory rifle from the cheapys to expensive these days. I'm trying to decide if I go cheap and upgrade them later or just buy a nicer rifle that they can use well into their teenage years and beyond.

Thoughts?

My first rifle was a 7mm-08, loved the thing and think its a great caliber for youth hunters! Ammo availability became an issue though, so I had to sell it.

Personally I would buy them a nicer (good trigger and solid stock) stainless gun vs a cheap one, that way when they are young adults and dirt poor, they will still have a nice hunting rifle and they will be confident in it.

I have a 14 year old who has been hunting 5 years now. I started him on a youth model savage 7mm-08 because I could get low power loads and still have the cross-section to take game down. He now shoots one of my 6.5CM with a suppressor on it.

While I like the small form factor of the savage, I think it is easier shooting the creed.

If you need small form factors, I'd look at the ruger american compact as they have a shorter LOP. I have a predator and it works for him. My youngest is a few years off. I'll probably cut the stock on the predator for him and then replace it with a wood stock after. I like the 6.5CM for most things. I've used other calibers, but right now it works well for most everything. The real benefit is ammo. Almost all 6.5CM rifles shoot really well with Hornady 143 eld-x factory rounds which can be had for an affordable price. Like all ammo, it is in short supply, but it comes up from time to time.

sndmn11

WKR
Tikka compact, vanguard compact, or American compact. The first two have a space you can throw in when they are grown.

7-08 or the creedmoor are the ticket.

TN2shot07

WKR
I just picked my wife up a model 7 in 243.

I have no love for the creedmoor but what you listed and factory ammo availability it’s probably your best option.

I also haven’t had good luck with budget line rifles, get the Tikka and be done with it. You’ll also appreciate it when you go to get rid of it later. Nothing wrong with the Browning but I wouldn’t be starting a new shooter with a brake.

rclouse79

WKR
I love my Tikka, but would probably try the Ruger American or Savage if it were for my kid. If they end up falling in love with hunting you could always upgrade later.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
What type of suppressor are you going to use?
I wasn't planning on a suppressor. They're actually illegal in IL. Big surprise there.

As it stands I'm leaning toward the Tikka. I'm a gear snob with my own stuff and after having all levels of quality I'm inclined to just get something nicer. They're both very engaged in hunting so I see them using into the future.

h2so4

WKR
I wasn't planning on a suppressor. They're actually illegal in IL. Big surprise there.

As it stands I'm leaning toward the Tikka. I'm a gear snob with my own stuff and after having all levels of quality I'm inclined to just get something nicer. They're both very engaged in hunting so I see them using into the future.
Dang IL. I'm originally from Southern IL, so I get it. The Tikka or X-Bolt would get my nod in this case. If you're going to be able to save by not getting a suppressor, may as well get a little nicer rifle and glass.

MattB

WKR
I got my daughter a Tikka in .243 and put it in an XLR chassis. The length of pull and cheek weld are highly adjustable on the chassis, so one gun can be made to fit each kid just right.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
I know a lot of guys say .243 and I agree it's a fine choice. I keep coming back to .308 though. Those Hornady Custom Lite rounds shoot a 125 grain SST with considerably less recoil. I can start there and work into some more standard 150s and 165s down the road. Decisions, decisions.

h2so4

WKR
I’d say 308 due to availability alone. It works just as well as the others for the stuff you mentioned, especially at reasonable range. Once they need/want a bigger rifle, they will be able to decide what is best for themselves.

Here’s an out of the box idea… After getting our buts kicked by the terrain the last two years going after high country Colorado elk, my boys (12 & 13) and I are thinking about building one rifle the three of us can shoot. My boys shoot our .223 AR more accurately than anything else, and with a Luth-AR MBA buttstock we can quickly resize it for any of us, so why not build one .308 AR or chassis rifle and only lug the one gun up into the high country?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03mossy

WKR
I know a lot of guys say .243 and I agree it's a fine choice. I keep coming back to .308 though. Those Hornady Custom Lite rounds shoot a 125 grain SST with considerably less recoil. I can start there and work into some more standard 150s and 165s down the road. Decisions, decisions.

I am in the exact same situation trying to pick a rifle for my 11 year old boy. I keep coming back to .308 for the reasons you mentioned plus I reload for my 30-06 and .300wm so I have plenty of bullets in that diameter. As for the gun we are strongly leaning towards a Tikka compact.

OP
hunt1up

hunt1up

WKR
Well you guys have given me a lot of good insight. I think I’m going to roll with a Tikka Compact in .308. I’ll run some reduced recoil ammo (if I can find it) and go from there. I’ll likely never be a reloader but I have a guy that can work me up some light loads if I need them. I think they’ll both be fine with some standard ammo anyway. We can do most of our practice with the .22 and .223.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
So I basically did it backwards that way I’ll have all basis covered. I bought a new Weatherby Vanguard 243 for an incredible deal. After buying, I called up Weatherby and ordered the Vanguard Compact stock and switched it out with the original stock. As my boys grow (currently 7,5,2) I can swap the compact stock out with the original as they go. This way I have the full sized 24” barrel and am not stuck with a youth gun once they get passed that point, only a $100 youth composite stock! My oldest seems to like the setup so far!
5c1e75cab9fa589cc73c656bf03becee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk