Help me design and build a Bino harness

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to build a Bino harness. I got new glass during a fathers’ day sale, and they don’t fit in my old vortex glass pak. I like the two side stretchy pockets, and the small pocket on the back for things like tags. If anything I want the side pockets a little larger.

For material I was thinking cordura for the outside. I know I need some find of closed-cell foam to give it structure and cushioning. For an inside material I wasn’t sure what to use. I was reading how bushpilot used grosgrain to finish the seams - that seamed (lol) like a good idea.

I’d like to hear your suggestions for other features that you have found useful, and what material you would use. I was wondering if it’s worth putting Molle webbing somewhere to make modular/interchangeable side pockets.

I’d like to use the hive mind to take the best of what you’ve used and make something I can use for a long time. Thanks in advance!

Marshfly

WKR
If I were building one I would just copy the Striver Gear harness. I bought a used Kuiu Pro from the guy that owns the company a few months ago and he went through his design with me when I saw it in his car.

I’ll be buying that one for next years season for sure.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
If I were building one I would just copy the Striver Gear harness. I bought a used Kuiu Pro from the guy that owns the company a few months ago and he went through his design with me when I saw it in his car.

I’ll be buying that one for next years season for sure.
That’s a new one! I like his opening mechanism a lot. I don’t think I need the quick-release feature, but I like the all-around pockets. Thanks!

Marshfly

WKR
That’s a new one! I like his opening mechanism a lot. I don’t think I need the quick-release feature, but I like the all-around pockets. Thanks!
The quick release is awesome actually. The idea is that you have a gun chest harness for those times you don’t want your binos. Pack outs. Etc. also if you want to drop everything for a final stalk, you still have a spot for your rangefinder and phone for OnX.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
The quick release is awesome actually. The idea is that you have a gun chest harness for those times you don’t want your binos. Pack outs. Etc. also if you want to drop everything for a final stalk, you still have a spot for your rangefinder and phone for OnX.
The modularity is tempting, but I also have to keep this simple enough that I can make it myself. Maybe just using simple clips… I’ll think if I can do it in a simple way without using the specialty hardware…

AK4570

FNG
Opinions vary... But I will never again buy a bino pack that does not have "wings" a la Sitka and SG. And I've owned a bunch.

Without, there is no way to truly secure the harness to your body and not have it swinging/dragging whenever you inevitably need to bend over or crawl. This particular issue is exacerbated when you start adding pouches alongside the main compartment for LRF, wind checker, spare mag, etc.

Best of luck and keep us updated on what you end up creating!

Best regards,
John

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions vary... But I will never again buy a bino pack that does not have "wings" a la Sitka and SG. And I've owned a bunch.

Without, there is no way to truly secure the harness to your body and not have it swinging/dragging whenever you inevitably need to bend over or crawl. This particular issue is exacerbated when you start adding pouches alongside the main compartment for LRF, wind checker, spare mag, etc.

Best regards,
John
I see what you mean! And they don’t look too difficult to add.

Best regards,
John

I agree wholeheartedly on the wings. My eberlestock recon was my first with the wings and is a complete game changer.

Interested to see what you come up with!

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Finally sat down to sketch out pattern ideas, and quickly realized that trying to do the body as one piece would make it very hard to hide seams and add all the pockets in a way that doesn’t look shoddy. So my plan for construction is to make the individual panels and wings separately and then assemble them together. Each panel will have some kind of foam or quilting to give it structure and pad the binoculars. I need to think a little more on how to attach the hood. I’ll have a liner to hide the internal seams, but then to hide the seam between the liner and the body I think a ribbon of grosgrain or something similar around the top will give it a finished look.

Is it worth building the harness integral, or put on D-rings so that I don’t need to worry about exact angles and can let the harness self-adjust? A fleece liner for noise reduction sounds like a good idea. Is cordura water-resistant enough, or should I do a waterproof ‘shower cap’ like some commercial designs?

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 58
I modified a chest harness I had into a bino harness today. It took me some time and a seam ripper to finish it up. I’d like to get something to add some rigidity to my bino harness pouch though.

I like what you sketched, I’m anxious to see what you come up with.

AK4570

FNG
Brother, if I'm off the mark, please disregard... However, based off your sketch, it looks like your top straps (the ones that will route upwards from the pack and across your shoulders) are attached at the outboard, upper end of your wings. For weight-bearing and comfort, you might want to move those 2 onto the top of the main compartment.

Looks good from here, though!

Best regards,
John

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Brother, if I'm off the mark, please disregard... However, based off your sketch, it looks like your top straps (the ones that will route upwards from the pack and across your shoulders) are attached at the outboard, upper end of your wings. For weight-bearing and comfort, you might want to move those 2 onto the top of the main compartment.

Looks good from here, though!

Best regards,
John
I think you’re spot on! Thanks for help.

JNDEER

WKR
some blend between a marsupial and a kuiu. A lighter breathable bino holder that is quiet pulling bino in and out. Marsupial one handed operations for lid are a must. Options for full or semi full containment. Straps can be thin and possibly a super small amount of padding on the top. Kuiu size buckles are fine and a good rangefinder attachment for a one handed front opening pocket (ie marsupial) is a must.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I have almost everything I need in my shopping carts from Ripstopbytheroll, but they are out of stock on the pocket mesh. I got to wait just a couple of days - I really don’t want to pay shipping twice.

TaperPin

WKR
I have almost everything I need in my shopping carts from Ripstopbytheroll, but they are out of stock on the pocket mesh. I got to wait just a couple of days - I really don’t want to pay shipping twice.
That’s a great project! Small, but the details make the complexity go up quickly.

Just working with binding tape to hide seams is a real skill.

The projects I’ve done like that often required a few iterations and I think of the first one as a learning aid and pattern for the final. I always want to use material that’s too thick and that makes it too hard to sew. :)

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great project! Small, but the details make the complexity go up quickly.

Just working with binding tape to hide seams is a real skill.

The projects I’ve done like that often required a few iterations and I think of the first one as a learning aid and pattern for the final. I always want to use material that’s too thick and that makes it too hard to sew. :)
So true! The number of different materials to get all the features I want exploded quickly. But I’ll have enough fabric to make several bags, so if the first one doesn’t work I can try again at no additional cost.

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Finally sat down to sketch out pattern ideas, and quickly realized that trying to do the body as one piece would make it very hard to hide seams and add all the pockets in a way that doesn’t look shoddy. So my plan for construction is to make the individual panels and wings separately and then assemble them together. Each panel will have some kind of foam or quilting to give it structure and pad the binoculars. I need to think a little more on how to attach the hood. I’ll have a liner to hide the internal seams, but then to hide the seam between the liner and the body I think a ribbon of grosgrain or something similar around the top will give it a finished look.

Is it worth building the harness integral, or put on D-rings so that I don’t need to worry about exact angles and can let the harness self-adjust? A fleece liner for noise reduction sounds like a good idea. Is cordura water-resistant enough, or should I do a waterproof ‘shower cap’ like some commercial designs?

This is an awesome project and something I haven’t had the guts to do yet. I think doing separate panels is the way to go based on the reasons you gave. If I ever do make one I would probably keep the shoulder straps from my fhf gear chest pack and just sew in clips so that I can attach and detach the harness from the shoulder straps. That harness just has loops of webbing that attach the clips to the pack itself, and I don’t see any issues with angles, plus that would be easy to sew. Did you find a foam that you like? For a backpack I made I ordered some off of Amazon that comes in different thicknesses for pretty cheap, labeled as cosplay design foam. Worked great. I also made that pack from 500d cordura and while it has a dwr finish, I’d want something else to cover it if I was in a downpour. That would give it some padding as well as some rigidity. If you wanted even more rigidity they sell Kydex in small squares in different thicknesses too. Or it can be cut from a larger piece to fit. Have you checked rocky woods for mesh? I really like the mesh I ordered for them that I’m using as a pocket liner for some pants I’m working on. Excited to see what you come up with!
db038fa2b77a2f2b12f074e7457956e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCoker

FNG
A few things that I have used that are not usually thought of as materials for DIY gear are yoga mat foam, thin HDPE (Gallon milk jugs or flexible cutting board), and microsuede upholstery material. I like the yoga mats for padding if you can find one thin enough because it's dense and moisture resistant, the HDP is nice when I need a little structure without too much bilk, and the microsuede is nice if I want something that won't scratch and is pretty quiet.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
I finally ordered all the materials. I’ll have cordura outside with a waterproof liner. Still debating if I want a deployable rain cover - probably a good idea. Hopefully by next week I’ll have materials, which gives me a week to draw out a detailed pattern.

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely update us once you have the detailed pattern drawn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk