Help me choose a caliber

CJ_BG

FNG
This is a great post and please know that in quoting you, my intention wasn’t to target you specifically. I was speaking in general after seeing 1,000 of these “what caliber” threads and was very bored in a meeting at work haha.
Understood, no hard feelings. Even if it was targeting me I'm a FNG that's been here all of 5 minutes

Seriously though if OP wants to shoot elk at 650 the necessary understanding of all ballistics internal, external, and terminal cannot be understated

OP
C

cole96

FNG
Why do you want out of the 6.5-300wby? That might help answer your question too.
Well it was a justification to buy another gun. I shoot it great. I’ve decided I’m going to keep it and have a custom built. I’m going to do a 7 prc, a 22or24” barrel but undecided as it will be suppressed full time. Ag composites stock.

LightFoot

WKR
Well it was a justification to buy another gun. I shoot it great. I’ve decided I’m going to keep it and have a custom built. I’m going to do a 7 prc, a 22or24” barrel but undecided as it will be suppressed full time. Ag composites stock.

Suppressed full time means you should go 22” or even 20”

My Gunwerks 20” 7PRC shoots 180 ELDMs at 2684. So, that’s still 1800+ fps at 900y.

>>>——JAKE——>

mtg

FNG
So with you saying you’re keeping your current rifle, a 7prc really isn’t that different with your suggested distance of 600 yards.

If it were me I’d get something in a different “ballistic group” if you will. If you indeed want to get into reloading, a 308, 708, 270win, or even a 6.5cm are easier, and cheaper to learn on, and all fairly easy to find good reloads for, assuming good technique n components.