Help me choose a caliber

cole96

FNG
I’m seriously considering parting ways with my 6.5-300 wby. Assuming I do I will then need to replace it. I’d be looking for maybe a bit of a do all cartridge. Nothing below the 6.5 caliber and nothing larger than 30 cal. I don’t reload but want to start. I’m open to all suggestions.

As far as a rifle I’m not sure, I may just do a custom but may do factory. Just depends on availability in what I like. I’m thinking a barrel 22”-24” max as it will be suppressed

LightFoot

WKR
7mm magnum (Rem, SAUM, or PRC) with 175-180s from a 22” will be good for everything from Antelope to Moose.

>>>——JAKE——>

BKM

FNG
It depends on how far you plan on shooting, most likely a 6.5cm if you need to go longer a 6.5prc.

Realistically not many people out shoot the distance a 18” 6.5cm will kill at with a eldm or tmk.

OP
C

cole96

FNG
It depends on how far you plan on shooting, most likely a 6.5cm if you need to go longer a 6.5prc.

Realistically not many people out shoot the distance a 18” 6.5cm will kill at with a eldm or tmk.
I want it to be elk capable for 600-650 yards. Which probably narrows it down to a 7 prc pretty quickly. I also thought about maybe a 6.5 prc then building a 7. I like how the prc has a touch more velocity than the Creedmoor.

eric1115

WKR
What other rifles do you have?

How many rounds per year do you shoot (at distance/on paper for precision)?

If 6.5 is a hard minimum, I'd do a 6.5CM, otherwise I'd do 6CM.

It takes many hundreds, preferably a couple thousand rounds per year to be able to utilize the extra effective range of a 6.5PRC or 7PRC vs a 6CM or 6.5CM.

What do you consider your max effective range?

I'd not go over 20" if planning to use a suppressor. I'm at 19 on my main hunting rifle and probably going shorter on the next barrel.

I've gone from a braked 24" 7mmRM running 180 Bergers to a suppressed .243AI running 108 ELDM's for my "do it all" western rifle for everything including elk (and moose if I ever draw one) out to 800+

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I’d vote 6.8 Western if you want a short action, or 7 PRC if you want a bit more juice and don’t mind a long action.