Help deciding a new build cartridge

I would go 30-06 seeing as how your set with the dies and brass, its a proven round, has a wide range of bullet weights and adequate power for north americian game, factory loads is available pretty much everywhere, I have one rifle thats a newer cal. its a 6.5 creedmoore just had to have one not really impressed but it gets the job done. Old school is proven theres a reason the 30-06 is still around.

OP
B
After doing load dev on several Sherman 6.5 Max’s. There is nothing there worth the time on necking them down. Just get a 6.5 SAUM in a long action and go kill stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My local smith mentioned he only had the 0.08 freebore 6.5 SAUM reamer. Which I believe is geared more towards to the short action? I plan on running either 140 bergers or the 156 berger EOL. Would prefer the later. He also mentioned theres an 80% chance I will have feeding issues out of LA mag similar to the 6BR guys had. Any experience?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
With a LA I would want a 3 to 3.1" OAL. And shoot a 147 ELD-M or 156 Berger. You can get them to feed Ok with a Wyatt box. I would get a M5 bottom on the stock and get this mag set up. It will feed.

OP
B
With a LA I would want a 3 to 3.1" OAL. And shoot a 147 ELD-M or 156 Berger. You can get them to feed Ok with a Wyatt box. I would get a M5 bottom on the stock and get this mag set up. It will feed.

I already have a MDT chassis on the way in a LA 3.850 CIP mag length. Going to be interchanging my 7Mag barreled action with the 6.5 saum.

I wonder if I could use their Accurate mag 300WM 3 rounder and get it to feed well.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys. Going to be building a new lightweight hunting rifle off of an MDT HNT26 LA CIP Chassis. Going to stick with a long action platform as I currently have a Kelbly's LA 7mag with a 26" proof barrel that I want to throw in the chassis as well. Looking to build with a 20-22" carbon barrel and most likely a defiance Anti action. I'm torn on caliber. Was hoping to be able find brass for it (lapua, ADG, peterson, maybe norma) and I don't want to get another 7mm. Going to try and shoot bergers as well.

1. 6.5 Sherman (how difficult is it to neck down brass?)
  2. 6.5 PRC but I've heard I will have feeding issues out of a LA (not 100% sure I will using a mag)
  3. 6.5-284 Norma
  4. 6.5-06 (again, might be difficult to get brass)
  5. 6.5 Sherman Max (again necking down brass)
  6. 6.5-300 Weatherby
  7. 270 Sherman
  8. 6.8 Western (not sure brass availability)
  9. 30-06 (have a bunch of brass and reloading stuff for it)
And I'm open to whatever else you guys recommend. Appreciate the help.
All solid choices but I'm leaning towards a 7mm PRC, looks to be a great design. I have two 7mm Rem Mags but plan to build a PRC when I can.

OP
B
All solid choices but I'm leaning towards a 7mm PRC, looks to be a great design. I have two 7mm Rem Mags but plan to build a PRC when I can.
Why go with another 7mm? I'm torn becuase I dont want to make my 7mag absolute. I'm definitely leaning towards to 6.5 saum after hearing about all of the sizing issues with the PRC.

amassi

WKR
I'd avoid the sherman cartridges based on the 7 saum. He's having issues with the brass being undersized and is releasing a new line of reamers.

Any of the 06 based cartridges should be the easiest to source brass from. 6.5-06ai is a really under appreciated cartridge with a long action and 140-156 class bergers

The ai shoulder adds some capacity but limits case stretch

Takes about an hour to prep 100 pieces of lapua 30-06 brass. Fire forming loads are accurate enough for target shooting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Why go with another 7mm? I'm torn becuase I dont want to make my 7mag absolute. I'm definitely leaning towards to 6.5 saum after hearing about all of the sizing issues with the PRC.
Just have your prc chamber cut with Alex wheelers aw2 reamer and it's a none issue. More brass options with the prc.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
6.5s a solid choice with lots of bullet options. What have you heard re sizing issues with the 7mm PRC?

OP
B
6.5s a solid choice with lots of bullet options. What have you heard re sizing issues with the 7mm PRC?
It’s the 6.5 prc I’ve been hearing that has issues with resizing. The aw2 reamer solves the issues I’ve heard but I’ve also heard it just pushes out the issue to another date haha. Like instead of once or twice fired brass the aw2 gets you to 4-6 times fired haha

phil dirt

FNG
I built a 6.5 PRC to shoot the 156 Berger EOL's on aTerminus long mag action 26''barrel with 2''brake and had it throated .025 longer than Saami specs and it wouldn't feed so I installed a Wyatt's center feed box andwhich still had feeding issues. Installed a Hawkins DM with their block in the back which moves the shell forward where it should be and it works flawless. As far as brass goes I bought 300 rounds of Lapua brass and a set of Whidden click bushing dies . I bump the shoulder back .002 and I anneal every 2 firings. I'm on the 9th loading of the first 25 cases with no issues. 53.9 grs. R26 @ .090 off the lands so the throating was useless. True muzzle velocity is right at 3000 fps. I'm really happy with it now and it's taken 3 deer past 250 yds. They all were one shot kills and all dropped like a turd from a tall cow . Going to try it on a cow elk this fall. Hope this is use full information it was a long process to get it right .

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
I'd avoid the sherman cartridges based on the 7 saum. He's having issues with the brass being undersized and is releasing a new line of reamers.

Any of the 06 based cartridges should be the easiest to source brass from. 6.5-06ai is a really under appreciated cartridge with a long action and 140-156 class bergers

The ai shoulder adds some capacity but limits case stretch

Takes about an hour to prep 100 pieces of lapua 30-06 brass. Fire forming loads are accurate enough for target shooting.

My good bud did a 6.5-06ai, out of 5 customs that gun gets reached for first. Shooting 156’s.

Wright406

WKR
My favorite rifle currently is my 20" 300wsm. I wish it was a long action but even at 20" I can push the 178 ELD at 2950 without pressure signs using H4350 and Norma brass. I enjoy shooting it so much that my first set of 50 brass has 6 firings with no annealing and very few lost. I considered rebarreling to something "cooler" but damn, it's hard to beat the 300Wsm as an all around cartridge. Especially in a LA.

GOOD LUCK