Help choosing camouflage!!

I need help choosing a new camo system. I understand that most camo is made for hunters eye than actual deer. The reason for the upgrade is better technical wear. Super hot tree stand hunts and mule deer stalks need gear to keep me cool. Also need stuff to sit in tree stand through the winter and not be miserable.

I’m currently torn between first lite and badlands. I’m not much of a fan of Sitka. I prefer first lite’s patterns but leaning more towards badlands for their unconditional warranty and new camo pattern they just put out. Any help would be appreciated!!

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I need help choosing a new camo system. I understand that most camo is made for hunters eye than actual deer. The reason for the upgrade is better technical wear. Super hot tree stand hunts and mule deer stalks need gear to keep me cool. Also need stuff to sit in tree stand through the winter and not be miserable.

I’m currently torn between first lite and badlands. I’m not much of a fan of Sitka. I prefer first lite’s patterns but leaning more towards badlands for their unconditional warranty and new camo pattern they just put out. Any help would be appreciated!!
Check out FORLOH.com, 100% sourced and Made in America.

Effective visual camouflage renders the wearer indistinguishable from background objects. Most camouflage patterns on the market attempt to disguise the body shape and match the color palette and patterns of the environment. At FORLOH, we have developed a more scientific approach – based on an animal’s visual processing, not what looks good to the human eye. We use a high-contrast larger pattern to break up your outline, and then add digital "texture" patterns to render you virtually undetectable to your prey.

I’m currently torn between first lite and badlands
Honestly ...... neither and that's coming from someone who owns a quite a bit of first lite.
leaning more towards badlands for their unconditional warranty
They are the vortex of the camouflage market, and within no time at all you will be on a first name basis with the head of their warranty department.
Ask me how I know this?
My brother and friend tried their gear a few years back and it was trash, all sorts of garments ripping at the seams, the rain gear wouldn't keep you dry if a hummingbird pi$$ed on you. It all ended in the burn barrel or eBay after one hunting season.

WKR
I specifically buy camo patterns with a lot of light/dark contrast for tree stand hunting, and I think it has helped. I'm a fan of Kuiu Vias, ASAT, Predator, and snow camo patterns. Most of these pieces work great hunting from the ground, too, so I feel like I've ended up with a pretty versatile set of clothing. I'm going on 9 years using some Kuiu pieces that look pretty good apart from some blood stains.

My experience is that all works pretty well if you are covering face, minding wind/movement, etc. Optifade subalpine, mossy oak bottomland, 3d leafy/predator suit, real tree edge and natural solids have all worked for me in the mountains here in the eastern US. Some of the trad guys get it done with flannel and fedoras, so I don’t really think you can make a bad decision on pattern.

Dave0317

WKR
You mention two extremes there. You also mention “camo” implying a specific set of colors to blend in, but also mention technical clothing for everything from hot to cold.

Are you asking about the camo pattern to cover what you do or what company makes good clothes for hot but also for cold weather?

If you need camo, most of the companies that use Veil to develop their patterns are excellent. (First lite, Academy Flagship, I think Scheels has a Veil designed in-house camo now, etc)
Those are a range of quality and price points, but the color is good.

The best technical apparel may or may not be available in matching patterns.

I’ve settled on solids for most of my more expensive purchases. Don’t get hung up on camo patterns. That way you can mix and match browns and greens from various companies and it’s not a bunch of mismatched camo. You can just pick the most suitable clothing from any number of companies.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Mix and match between brands. I prefer mix and match solids, but mix and match camo also looks better than a solid onesy look to me.

DSchliep

FNG
I don't put a lot of stock in camo. My grandpa gun & bow hunted 75 year in a red flannel and his overalls. I cannot remember a year where he didn't fill his tag. He told me to sit still and be quiet and it works. To this day I still hunt in jeans. 😆

Welcome.

For tree stands I have used Sitka, first lite and Cabela’s. All work. The design and engineering on the Sitka stuff is impressive but it is $$$. My first lite solitudes replaced a set of cabelas bibs and have met my needs in the northeast for the last few seasons with temps that are usually 20-40*. I have used a leafy suit ($80 from north mountain gear) for stand and still hunting few the last few seasons and it is awesome.

Lots of options for stalking. I run a lot of kuiu and Sitka and don’t really worry about mixing solids and patterns. From a fit and function stand point I have become a fan of kuiu pants but like Sitka tops. Kuiu thigh vents are the bomb on hot days.

Seak_angler

FNG
Classified Approved
Jokes aside I do use a lot of Kuiu solids, ash, gunmetal gray and olive green, but Kuiu verde has worked great for me as well

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How about a bright orange hat, orange waffle fleece, and ugly ass green Swazi Overpants? (The iPhone delay photo timer works really well).

Mule deer, elk, blacktail deer, coues deer, northern whitetails, moose, etc. none of these animals care what you wear.

Go look at @Formidilosus thread on his gear/pack dump for clothing that works.

IMG_8848.jpeg

Jakerex

WKR
I bought a mix of Kryptek stuff a few years ago to update my 30 year old camo. I’ve been very pleased with it and would buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I know you are not a Sitka fan but for deer hunting in a tree stand after the leaves have fallen It's all I wear. Really like the Elevated pattern. However, early and mid season I'm in Solids as much as any other pattern. I have and still wear some of the Realtree patterns. I think I wear Cabelas clothing as much as the Sitka stuff depending upon the time of year. I also have a few pieces of Stone Glacier and Black Ovis clothing. With all of that being said, camo patterns don't really make that much of a difference. I'd look at the quality of the brand, the cost and the options for layering that will work for your purpose.

Ho5tile1

WKR
As much as this stuff costs I’ve moved from camo and only get solids unless it’s for really cold weather where I need something like the Sitka fanatic or they just don’t have it in a solid cause I’m not gonna wear it anywhere but the woods other then that it’s solids so I can wear them around town to church and work. Went to a wedding in all kuiu solids and a job interview. Even had folks that don’t hunt ask about my pants, when I told them they where a hunting pant they where like no way so I pulled it up on my phn. I have an addiction to hunting clothes I have over 60 pairs of hunting pants and even more tops all Sitka kuiu first lite pnuma badlands forloh kings camo black ovis etc… I’d say 85% all solids.. check out camofire they have decent deals and they change every 24 hours…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk