Help Choosing a Rifle

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
The stereotypical do everything elk/deer rifle out west is the 7 mag. There are probably more of those used during elk season than any other caliber. 300 win is probably the second most popular elk rifle. For lighter recoil the 270 is the diet version of the 7 mag. The 6.5 is the diet version of the 270. The 308 isn’t seen all that much, but if you are a scope dialer there’s no reason it can’t work.

You can have a spacer and new recoil pad added to any of the Kevlar or fiberglass stocks and once it’s refinished you’d never know it wasn’t built that way. There are also extra thick recoil pads and or spacers that will give you any length of pull, but it usually looks awkward.
Yeah I really don't have much experience with dialing, so I may need to consider something with a little more punch. What about buying a chassis and building the rifle from there?

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
its 2 screws to swap a barreled action from a stock to a chassis, or between stocks. All you need is an inch-lb torque wrench.
Easy enough. Now that I'm thinking through it I may be considering that more heavily if I can stay within budget.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Sauer 100 can be found for $600 and is a dang nice rifle for the $. Only reason I don't own one is the LOP is too long for me. 14.5 inches.

Also the reason I don't own any long action BLRs. If you want to be different, buy a 7mag BLR and send it to Neal Jones to work the trigger. 14.25 in lop. Swap to limbsaver pad will put you at 14.4 inches.
Nothing brings smiles like a good lever gun.
Hard to beat that price. Dang a 7mm lever gun, that would make a statement

Yeah I really don't have much experience with dialing, so I may need to consider something with a little more punch. What about buying a chassis and building the rifle from there?

the right place to start is with the action. Everything else is just dressing.

check out these threads before you commit to a chambering:

And check these out before you commit to a scope:

Here's the cheat code on dialing and mils:

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Sauer 100 can be found for $600 and is a dang nice rifle for the $. Only reason I don't own one is the LOP is too long for me. 14.5 inches.

Also the reason I don't own any long action BLRs. If you want to be different, buy a 7mag BLR and send it to Neal Jones to work the trigger. 14.25 in lop. Swap to limbsaver pad will put you at 14.4 inches.
Nothing brings smiles like a good lever gun.
Also where have you found them for $600? I'm having trouble finding any 100's under $900

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300wsm lever because I wanted the shorter LOP a short action BLR has.
Most folks expect a 30-30 when they see a lever gun. Eyes get wide when I tell the caliber.
I can imagine

This is what I built for primarily nc whitetail hunting but with a trip out west to elevation every year
522C1205-8567-4A6B-8C9E-A4C313B0F367.jpeg

My shots here depend on my hunt location, some will be 10-20 yards. Some 50-200 some 10-300. This 16” keeps a 130tmk over 1800 past 500 yards at sea level.

It’s just a tikka 6.5 chopped to 16” in a manners

If I was saving money and didn’t want to use a can I’d just buy a tikka lite stainless and if you want your 6’5 so your lop could handle tossing a krg adjustable buttplate on the end. I’m 6’2 with an extra 2” of wingspan, so possibly close to you and I have no issues with factory tikka lop.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I built for primarily nc whitetail hunting but with a trip out west to elevation every year
View attachment 591550

My shots here depend on my hunt location, some will be 10-20 yards. Some 50-200 some 10-300. This 16” keeps a 130tmk over 1800 past 500 yards at sea level.

It’s just a tikka 6.5 chopped to 16” in a manners

If I was saving money and didn’t want to use a can I’d just buy a tikka lite stainless and if you want your 6’5 so your lop could handle tossing a krg adjustable buttplate on the end. I’m 6’2 with an extra 2” of wingspan, so possibly close to you and I have no issues with factory tikka lop.
That's really encouraging to hear, thanks for the insight. Sweet looking setup for sure.

I don't think you'd have a problem with a Tikka. I'm almost 6'6" with a 31" draw length and my Tikka's fit me just fine.

TaperPin

WKR
Since you’re not looking for super light weight there‘s not anything wrong with a chassis, other than it blows your budget, but it probably is easy to get your length of pull. A really soft recoil pad is a good thing with any of the 7 mag on up calibers - many chassis seem to simply leave the ar-style butts up to the shooter. Of course for the cost of the chassis you could also get a custom stock with your length of pull.

The good news is your wish list requirements leave it open to most any caliber from 270 on up, and a huge number of bolt actions, both new and used, so it’s hard to go wrong. The perfect western rifle isn’t something you can research and come up with the perfect rifle. It’s more like dating - a little experience moves the ideal solution quite a bit.

I started with the Jack O Connor favorite .270 for deer/antelope and .338 for elk just as Elmer Keith suggested, and was perfectly happy. . . until going antelope hunting a few years with guy and his 7 mag loaded with 140g boat tails. Without dialing, a 7 mag sighted dead on at 250 or 300 yards makes 400 to 450 yard shots on the smallish antelope with minimal hold over. The difference in hitability between the 270 and 7 mag is noticeable.

Then we prepared for elk hunting and my friend switched to 160gr partitions. Elk are much thicker top to bottom, so that same 300 yard zero with that partition allowed quite similar holds to his antelope load - way way out there. My clunky .338 win dropped so much that when we took turns firing at rocks 400-500 yards out I often misjudged hold over and shot under or over, while that 7 mag did nothing but kick up rock dust. That’s why the 7 mag is hard to beat.

A few years later the .270 and 338 were replaced with a pair of Remington 700 7 mag rifles and there were never any regrets.

Last edited: