First off my Setup
Bowtech Assassin
#70 lbs
312FPS
Arrow:
Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575/400
Mini Blazers

Broadhead: G5 Strikers 100 Grain

Over the last few weeks, I've been broadhead tuning, I can't seem to get my broadheads to fly straight, I've had my bow tuned by a pro shop, I've shot broadheads at the shop (INDOOR) and I feel like my form is the same, I shot at 30 yards today and I watched my broadhead go 1 foot to the left of where I was aiming. I have to shoot fixed blades because of state regulations. The shop is reputable, but I'm going to a new shop.

Is my set up ok?

Any tips or advice?

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Unless your arrows are real short, you are likely under spined. That said, one foot at 30 yards is WAY off and I suspect something else is wrong too. And at that speed, unless everything (tune and your form) is just perfect, it's gonna be tough to get good fixed head flight.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
Spine isn't the real issue. You're not going to get a fixed blade broadhead to fly using mini blazers. Those are not going to steer a fixed head worth a crap even if the spine was spot on. Put on some regular Blazers with a good helical and start over.

Spine isn't the real issue. You're not going to get a fixed blade broadhead to fly using mini blazers. Those are not going to steer a fixed head worth a crap even if the spine was spot on. Put on some regular Blazers with a good helical and start over.

Unless they are 4 fletched I agree and even then with the mini's it may be tough. I have a few friends shooting 4 fletch Blazer X2's with great success.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

This ^^^^^. Refletch with something big enough to steer those BH's.

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
are we referring to a "mini" blazer as a 2" vane? or 1.5" ? just wondering because i have had some similar issues. was thinking of re-fletching as well. trying a set of easton axis this week...going to try the skinny shafts and see how much better they buck the wind as well with Slick Trick 100Gr Fixed Blade BH

Last edited:

JG358

WKR

I've had good luck running minis(both 3 and 4 fletch) with fixed BHs out to 70yds. Not as east to dial in as QS speed hunters or helical 2" blazers but its certainly doable.

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
I am also of the belief that you are underspined. Darn if I can remember right or left for underspined though.Try a 75 grain head. If that helps, and you have some arrow length to play with, cut them shorter. Guessing you don't have any length to drop, but if you do, try it. I would guess you should be shooting a 300, not a 400. A lighter head will increase your spine. So will cutting your arrows shorter....

Brent

OR Archer

WKR
There's no way to tell if he's underspined without knowing the draw length or the length of the arrows themselves. Everyone always just spits that answer out there without considering all of the facts presented.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There's no way to tell if he's underspined without knowing the draw length or the length of the arrows themselves. Everyone always just spits that answer out there without considering all of the facts presented.

Yep I agree, and a very quick and easy way to determine if he's underspined is to turn the bow down and see what happens. That will also decrease speed and help with the arrow flight. If it were me, I'd turn it down to 60 and see if things improve. They may improve, but I still think that he'll get better results with larger vanes regardless of what spine or draw weight he's using.

I shoot a hoyt at 70lbs, 29" draw, easton axis 340 at 29" long with 2" blazers at 3 degree helical . I can shoot fixed, mechanical and field tips at any range and they all hit the same spot.

Last edited:

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I too shoot easton axis, 340 at 28.5 with 2 inch Fusions. I can shoot my rig at 70 but 64 seems to be a sweet spot. Its an older Hoyt Cybertech. Its quiet as can be though so I am not in a hurry to switch. I fletch with the AZ mini helical. Not sure the degree but I have no problems with my 100gr VPA's or Grim Reapers. I have also shot tight groups with Razor Tricks BUT it shoots horribly with Muzzy's or Magnus Stingers and another head I cant remember. This thing would shoot darts with muzzy practice head but not real heads. The longer fletching does work better with some of the broadheads. I have gone all VPA and can use the smaller vanes with no problems. I think you have a combination of a lot of things going wrong.

mid_west

FNG
That thread that MT_Wyatt posted has me thoroughly confused. Always was under the impression that moving your rest in the directions you want your BH's to go was how to tune. ie. if your BH's hit left of FP's move rest to the right. THis guy contradicts that and says the opposite is actually true, if i'm reading correctly. What are you guys doing?

I was thinking the exact same thing, yet I very much stumbled to the same conclusion last week. For weeks I was having my BHs hitting left of field points from my Energy 32. I kept moving my rest in, to "steer" the BHs toward the FPs, and my center shot was down to 9/16. I finally went back to the drawing board, pushed my center shot out to the spec 3/4 inch, and voila, perfectly grouped BHs and FPs. Moving the rest out actually moved my BHs right, just like in the link provided above......it blew my mind! But now my BHs and solid out to 65 yards. It really is opposite every other thread I've read on BH tuning, so I'm quite confused as well.

ORROSS334

FNG
You chase your arrow... little increments like 1/16" at a time. If you bare shaft tune or even modified french tune you get really close then when you are ready for broadheads only, I always fine tune. Good luck and you have to love to tinker :)