Hells Canyon Armory- Summit Barrel ***Updated 1/8/20***

Jon Boy

WKR
Just thought I'd throw up a quick intro to a build mike did for me a few months back, watch for the full review in 6 weeks or so! Feel free to ask any questions as I see some questions about the summits have been popping up on the forum lately.

So far it's been an absolute pleasure to load and shoot for. Hunting with it the last few weeks has shown it's pretty much everything I want in a hunting rifle.

***Update 1/8/20*** Jon's review is complete. Hells Canyon Armory Summit Barrel Review

Some quick specs-
Tikka action
7mm/08 1/8 twist
Mbm beast 3 port brake
Cerakote
Night force SHV 3-10x42

6 shot 100 yard group 5/8 edge to edge
3 shot 200 yard group 1.25 inch edge to edge is the best I can muster with a 10x scope. The 5 shot opened up to 1.75 edge to edge, which was clearly me.

161255ad5d7c0cd8440f5a3b06956c84.jpg

410e150089188c32437b5d57db5d551f.jpg
c5a63bb83fcb70cd2586272dc82b2c28.jpg

b78d8de7cc4ec2442252cb59fac1405a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jon! That barrel makes that gun look great, and a tack driver too. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one with a 10X max power scope. I'm following this one.

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks great. I’m a month out from sending mike my tikka... if it shoots like that I’ll be happy.

If I had to build a down and dirty hunting setup, it would look just like that.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Looks great. I’m a month out from sending mike my tikka... if it shoots like that I’ll be happy.

If I had to build a down and dirty hunting setup, it would look just like that.
You're going to love it man! A very worth while upgrade IMO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Its 6.6 lbs and I opened the barrel channel and bedded it myself. Then I stiffened the foreend with bedding compound and it stiffened right up. Still hemming and hawing over what stock it will reside in in the future but for the time being its shooting lights out.

Dhbwa

WKR
I must’ve missed something as the HCA website would indicate the light hunter being a smaller contour and thusly a lighter barrel than a summit ?

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
I must’ve missed something as the HCA website would indicate the light hunter being a smaller contour and thusly a lighter barrel than a summit ?
I cant comment on the light contour as I dont have any experience with it. Maybe @HellsCanyon can answer that question. The summit is a tapered contour.

So everyone else on here knows, the Summit contour is wrapped on a whole different core design. It's got a max tennon OD of 1.170" and the core itself is smaller. It's limited to 23.5" finish length and while is only 2-3 oz lighter than the light hunter at that length, is nearly double the rigidity. It's a straight taper from 1.170" to .820" at the muzzle so it's got that "bull barrel" appearance while the Light hunter contour fits stocks inletted for a #5 contour and definitely have the "pencil" barrel look to them, which I do not prefer personally.

Thanks for the review and solid work Jon! Glad to see you're finding some success with that rifle!

Mike

So everyone else on here knows, the Summit contour is wrapped on a whole different core design. It's got a max tennon OD of 1.170" and the core itself is smaller. It's limited to 23.5" finish length and while is only 2-3 oz lighter than the light hunter at that length, is nearly double the rigidity. It's a straight taper from 1.170" to .820" at the muzzle so it's got that "bull barrel" appearance while the Light hunter contour fits stocks inletted for a #5 contour and definitely have the "pencil" barrel look to them, which I do not prefer personally.

Thanks for the review and solid work Jon! Glad to see you're finding some success with that rifle!

Mike

Would the 1.170” tennon be a somewhat flush mount on a tikka action where it tapers down?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04