Hell To Pay 2013

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!

Nice job, you guys earned and deserved those rams. I'd have like to have seen them in person and shook your hands on your way through Fairbanks, maybe next time.

Rams hauling butt.... I've seen em do that for no apparent reason. They just beat feet then slow down, feed and lay down or mess with eeach other like the do. It's a curious deal. I've seen em just mozy around and I've seen em just take off at a fast pace and walk with a purpose for several miles.

One question.... How in the heck did you find sun in the Brooks Range this year! :D After opening day and the 11th it was brutal.

YYEEOOWWWW,man that gets me pumped.
killed my first ram this year, a stone sheep, what an awesome hunt you guys had!
A couple of great rams in some great country, well done

That's exactly what I need to read before heading out in the am for 3.5 days solo. Going to be a grind gettin to my spot that's for sure! Glad to see you boys brought sheep off the mountain as well as a whole lot more!!! Congratulations Jdog and your brother!

Mike

Nice job Jdog. Congrats to both of you on geat looking sheep. Great story and pics as always. For those of you who haven't done this, it isn't as easy as he made it sound. Conditioning, mental toughness and good gear and a degree of luck with the weather make things a little easier. Looking forward to next year's story already.

Nice job Jdog. Congrats to both of you on geat looking sheep. Great story and pics as always. For those of you who haven't done this, it isn't as easy as he made it sound. Conditioning, mental toughness and good gear and a degree of luck with the weather make things a little easier. Looking forward to next year's story already.

Ahhh...come on now. It's not that hard to pull it off :)

An unguided DIY dall sheep hunt in an area you have never been to!

Last edited:
Ahhh...come on now. It's not that hard to pull it off :)

An unguided DIY dall sheep hunt in an area you have never been too!

I've been emailing with YK on this subject. Success rates for sheep hunters as a whole in Alaska was quite a bit less than I expected and somewhat dismal for "resident" (unguided) hunters. Now, those stats might be skewed by the "opportuntiy tag" hunters, but it isn't easy and I applaud your efforts. Also, I thank you for what you do the rest of the time.:)

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!

Nice job, you guys earned and deserved those rams. I'd have like to have seen them in person and shook your hands on your way through Fairbanks, maybe next time.

Rams hauling butt.... I've seen em do that for no apparent reason. They just beat feet then slow down, feed and lay down or mess with eeach other like the do. It's a curious deal. I've seen em just mozy around and I've seen em just take off at a fast pace and walk with a purpose for several miles.

One question.... How in the heck did you find sun in the Brooks Range this year! :D After opening day and the 11th it was brutal.

That ram knew something was wrong...he wasn't randomly just leaving.

I've been emailing with YK on this subject. Success rates for sheep hunters as a whole in Alaska was quite a bit less than I expected and somewhat dismal for "resident" (unguided) hunters. Now, those stats might be skewed by the "opportuntiy tag" hunters, but it isn't easy and I applaud your efforts. Also, I thank you for what you do the rest of the time.:)

Thank you. A bit of luck never hurts. So many variables you cannot control. But we do our best at preparing the ones we can--fitness, gear, effort, mental state, etc.

Gentlemen,

What an awesome accomplishment!!! Loved the story and all the great photos.
Your can do attitude paid some huge dividends!!!

Great hunt! I've officially added sheep hunting to my growing list of animals I need to hunt!

Congratulations. Nice work on both rams. I have done the same thing with my brother and it is tough to beat. (until you do it next year!)

What steps do you take to keep the meat and cape from spoiling or being eaten at the strip when you are out chasing more sheep, especially in August?

Thanks for the write up and again great rams and a great hunt.

WOW! Great story and pics. Excellent write up. What an accomplishment and to do it with family is awesome! Nothing beats the feeling of reaching your goal after a year of perspiration and preparation!

Back