Helicopter Hog Hunting is harvesting the meat a federal crime

JustHere

FNG
My question is: If I have all the necessary requirements, such as license's, etc... can I legally harvest the meat from a hog killed from the air. I was told this is a federal crime to harvest meat from any animal killed from the air and although I couldn't find anything to confirm this it was hard to find anything concrete that would deny it also.

PS I did a search for this question several times and found nothing so if it was asked I do apologize. Also thanks in advance.

OP
J

JustHere

FNG
Ask the relevant department of wildlife/ game warden in the specific area.
Do you mean under Predator/Varmint Hunting? Because I don't see a specific area with wildlife/game warden as a title anywhere. Which I looked for first.

Travis907

WKR
Do you mean under Predator/Varmint Hunting? Because I don't see a specific area with wildlife/game warden as a title anywhere. Which I looked for first.
Contact the local game warden in the area you plan on hunting and ask him/her all relevant questions. They will be happy to give you an answer.

Jacack

WKR
I did the helicopter hunt about 10 years ago before it got popular and they had ground crew picking some of then up and was told they donated most of it . I did take some meat from them also.

TxxAgg

WKR
Pigs aren't game animals in TX. You could do whatever you want with them after you shoot them.

It’s not in Texas.
Fun fact, I’ve been in several hunting camps where there were guys that worked for the government and that that was their job. Talk about never having to work a day in your life, being paid to fly in helicopters and shoot hogs all day.

OP
J

JustHere

FNG
Thank you all for your very helpful posts. I think I have my answer and then some :)

OP
J

JustHere

FNG
Why hunt out of a helicopter?
It is recommended by the USDA.
"(United States Department of Agriculture) says that it makes things worse, with the pigs becoming nocturnal and traveling more than 100 miles to avoid hunters. The only hope is for a hunter to kill an entire sounder—the name for a herd of feral pigs—at once, often by shooting from a helicopter."