Helene destroyed my hunting season

Still no power in western sc. We got smashed but are safe and getting by. Luckily we have house genny but can’t get propane till who knows when. They said 2/3 weeks for power since my farm is out in the sticks. Blessed to be safe and spending time with family, truly wasn’t prepared like I should have been.

Jmort1754

WKR
Still no power in western sc. We got smashed but are safe and getting by. Luckily we have house genny but can’t get propane till who knows when. They said 2/3 weeks for power since my farm is out in the sticks. Blessed to be safe and spending time with family, truly wasn’t prepared like I should have been.
After storms things changed with your emergency plan. I know that we are not nearly as prepared as we need to be.

Choupique

WKR
As a kid in Louisiana, hurricanes were something we looked forward to. Most of the family would all gather at a house on the high ground. It was like Christmas for us kids.

As an adult, its awful. Stress, discomfort, mountains of work to do, houses to sandbag, freezers to keep working, find a way to let family know you're alright, keep the wife sane, its rough.

Luckily for us, living in the mountains a week at a time teaches you a little about being comfortable with discomfort.

Yoder

WKR
We have a vacation house in Pigeon Forge, and I checked with the agent. Apparently Sevier County was spared. No damage to our house, and their biggest worry is that people can't get up there for planned vacations.

I feel horrible for all the folks who have lost their homes and worse.
I'm glad your house is ok. We stayed in Sevierville for our vacation this year, it's a beautiful area.

I was very lucky in GA. The eye of the storm went right over the top of me, and I got 12" of rain here at the house.

I only lost 1 small tree in the back yard. I just got everything cleaned up with the tractor yesterday. I feel very fortunate compared to a lot of people in other parts of the state and in TN/NC/SC.

That flooding up at Chiney Rock NC was next level.

CMP70306

WKR
If you want to know how much water went through that area I pulled up some Sat shots from the 27th and found spots I could see between the clouds. In Fletcher Town, NC the Cane Creek went from 16 yards wide and a couple ft deep to 25 ft deep and 2/3 of mile a wide.

If you want to know how much water went through that area I pulled up some Sat shots from the 27th and found spots I could see between the clouds. In Fletcher Town, NC the Cane Creek went from 16 yards wide and a couple ft deep to 25 ft deep and 2/3 of mile a wide.
the water flow gauges on all the rivers are almost all gone.... alot of them stopped reporting in the early morning on friday between 2 and 4 am. rivers weren't expected to crest by predictions until 8am.

I-40 in Asheville had over 10ft of water on top of it at a bridge that was typically 40-50ft above the river.

My old house flooded in 2004 supposed to be the worst flooding ever seen in the area it had 5ft of water in it. we moved 3 years ago. went by it the other day and water was 3ft over the roof.

Whatever the news is saying it is at least 100x worse. The amount of people that have died is going to be in the 1000s not 100s like they have said so far.

Weldor

WKR
That's incredible. Water just tears s__t up. The infastucture will take some time for sure. Dumb question from a desert dweller, Does your car insurance cover flooding without a special rider? Being as a new Truck is north of $100,000. Let alone house insurance. Feel for those who lost so much.