Heavy moisture year, effects on elk location?

WKR
In much of the Rockies, especially in my part of Wyoming, it's been a record year for moisture. First the heavy snowpack from last winter, but then extremely wet conditions throughout the summer have persisted due to very frequent rain.

There are marshes and wet areas all over the mountain and more grass than the elk will know what to do with.

How will this affect elk behavior and movement in September and October?

I'm guessing that they'll be at higher elevations for longer but as with elk, I'm wrong more often than I'm right...

Thoughts?

I can tell you that last years above average rainfall had a significant effect on the amount of bees and other bugs were flying around. In early September in south-central Colorado, you couldn’t sit outside the tent and eat lunch without 3-5 Yellowjacket’s landing on the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suspect there is more for them to eat at higher elevation and later into the season this year. I betting its gonna be good for antler growth as well.

I can tell you that last years above average rainfall had a significant effect on the amount of bees and other bugs were flying around. In early September in south-central Colorado, you couldn’t sit outside the tent and eat lunch without 3-5 Yellowjacket’s landing on the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know. I'll move the Epi-pens from buried in the pack to easier access. LOL

Hopefully it won't be that bad this year in South-Central CO.

dtrkyman

WKR
Probably have them spread out, the fat healthy bulls should be aggressive and vocal!

nobody

WKR
We've been scouting for my brother's limited entry Utah tag, and as you've stated, there's more water on the ground and more marsh than I've ever seen. That said, so far, the elk are at the EXACT same elevations they've always been, hanging out in the EXACT same draws they always do at this time of year, in the EXACT same herd sizes. If I had to venture a guess, elk are creatures of habit. And although they'll have more options for wallows and such this year, they'll have in their head that one particular wallow that "belongs" to them, and they'll walk past everything else to hit it.

I think what will be effected will be how often and where exactly they water. So although they might wallow and even bed in the same spots as they have historically, they'll water wherever is closest to them at that moment. So if I was a bowhunter and planning to sit drinking water waiting for elk, I would probably rethink that plan. But otherwise, in every other facet and from what I've seen scouting, moisture levels won't be affecting our hunt plans in the slightest.

rayporter

WKR
way back and ol timer told me the elk will be where they have always been. this to the age old question of are they up high or down low, laff.

we went high.

Jaquomo

WKR
I have had troubles finding elk scouting my usual WY spots, so called the biologist, and she theorizes the elk are staying lower this summer. In southern WY and Northern CO it has been a wetter and cooler summer than normal, and the feed is still green down low where it should normally be brown now. But in my part of N. CO we have elk herds from 5K to 12K in summer anyway, so they truly are where you find them.

TaperPin

WKR
In the past, at least in NW Wyoming, the slimy slick mud found in many places seems to have more of an effect on hunters than it does on elk. When I avoided hunting an area because it was such a struggle to go up or side hill, it seemed like a good opportunity since other hunters are doing the same. I don’t remember which author suggested it 30 years ago, but it was a simple one sentence idea to use crampons in the steep mud. Brilliant.

Marble

WKR
In higher moisture years, the elk may not bed down low in the brushy areas because of bugs. Sometimes they are just vicious. It really depends more on weather during that time. If it gets cool enough, the bugs disappear, but if it's warm, they will be out. Elk will go to where there is wind is moving at and the bugs are not as thick.

Not with any scientific back up of any type. But I have noticed with both deer and elk, during high moisture years, I see more bucks and bulls.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Something everyone should throw in is one of those bee/fly catchers from tractor supply. They absolutely stick to high heaven, but they are super effective at catching the flies and bees.

Just hang it about 100' out of camp.

Marble

WKR
I always error to the theory that elk want to be as lazy (and comfortable) as possible. They want to travel the shortest, easiest route to water, feed and bedding. They don't want to be bothered by bugs, wolves or people. That's where I look for elk.

COelk89

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking with the late snow melt last summer cows may have hung up at lower elevations for calving. You might see more elk way up high were there is less cover. But the majority of elk are where there is cover...i.e. oak brush, aspen chokecherry hell, or timber. Bugs don't bother elk enough to dictate where they stay IMO. They will bed in a wet meadow full of mosquitoes in the summer no problem.

TaperPin

WKR
Bugs don't bother elk enough to dictate where they stay IMO. They will bed in a wet meadow full of mosquitoes in the summer no problem.
I agree. There are a few high wind swept ridges that elk in velvet are known to hang out on, but they would do just fine down in a wetter spot.
I‘ve only seen it a couple of times, but 4 mature 6 point bulls all sitting next to each other looking down on the world like a bunch of mule deer is something I’ll never forget. The one place I’ve seen it was empty the next 5 times I tried to catch them again.