Current Conditions Questions on First Rifle Elk Hunt

Heading out to my cow rifle hunt tomorrow. 10 days including travel. I've been to the area a couple times and have learned the terrain pretty well, so I've got a fairly solid plan. But a couple questions came to mind when I was thinking over my plans today. I'll have very intermittent connectivity out there, but figured I'd post this anyway and check responses from the top of peaks with reception occasionally. This is my first elk season. Here's some background, my plan, and questions:

Background:

- Terrain is about 65% dark timber, 20% scrub brush (up to about 6 ft tall), and 15% open slopes/meadows/etc.

- It's going to be very cold - highs in the 20s/30s, lows in the single digits, maybe negatives. Rain and snow many or most days. I believe this is the first big cold snap of the year.

Plan:

- Spend the first 24-48 hours camping from the truck and day hiking to glassing spots within a few miles of the road/trail heads. I know several good glassing spots, and I intend to hit the best ones at prime times (dawn/dusk).

- When I locate a herd, observe behavior/patterns. If I'm within range, make a stalk. If not, return to the truck, grab 4 days worth of camp, and work my way to a camp I can go after them from the next mornings/evenings.

- If I don't turn any up, hike into deeper country for 2-3 day camps, searching deeper in the backcountry.

Questions:

- I'm used to early season hunting, when middays are hot and game is bedded. Until a few hours ago, I planned on still-hunting thick timber during those hours. Then it occurred to me the cold weather will be a big change from what I'm accustomed to. Am I better off sticking to glassing most or all day in these cold conditions? I'm assuming they'll bed at some point during the day, but how long would you generally glass (or until about what time), before you'd decide they're bedded and you'd be better off still-hunting, or perhaps putting miles on the boots looking for sign?

- If I have a couple days or more of grey skies/bad weather, then suddenly get a clear/sunny sky, is it possible they'd want to be in the open more/longer on those days, in places like south-facing slopes? I've heard they might like to sun themselves in such scenarios. Could those conditions cause them to be in the open and midday, as opposed to bedding in the deep/thick (referring back to first question)?

- Thought I had more questions, but I'll post as they come back to mind - going to bed.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I've learned a great deal from reading what you guys have written in here, and greatly appreciate it.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Question 1: Glassing morning and evenings. Elk love the temps you mentioned, but are still largely nocturnal at this time of year. Only in late season with deeper snow have I/we seen them browsing/grazing mid-day. If your snow depths are deeper they could be out feeding, but if there’s still plenty of bunch grasses exposed in the open areas they’re probably bedding down from 10-11 a.m. until 2:00ish or a bit later.

Question 2: Rarely, in all weather conditions from Sun to single digits blizzards, have we seen elk on south slopes. They seem to favor north and northeast- at least where we are.

Good luck! We both got drawn for early rifle cow and have 2 good ones in the freezer! Yay! Mine was 3.5 mi in and partners was 4 miles in - camped on Wilderness edge. Just think like an elk and put the sneak on!

t_carlson

WKR
The cold weather will probably keep them out a little longer in the mornings.

A lot will depend on hunting pressure.

Snow is your best friend. Find fresh sign and start there.

OP
H
Question 1: Glassing morning and evenings. Elk love the temps you mentioned, but are still largely nocturnal at this time of year. Only in late season with deeper snow have I/we seen them browsing/grazing mid-day. If your snow depths are deeper they could be out feeding, but if there’s still plenty of bunch grasses exposed in the open areas they’re probably bedding down from 10-11 a.m. until 2:00ish or a bit later.

Question 2: Rarely, in all weather conditions from Sun to single digits blizzards, have we seen elk on south slopes. They seem to favor north and northeast- at least where we are.

Good luck! We both got drawn for early rifle cow and have 2 good ones in the freezer! Yay! Mine was 3.5 mi in and partners was 4 miles in - camped on Wilderness edge. Just think like an elk and put the sneak on!
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to have some extra glass time in the morning/ evening compared to what I'm used to - in A Zone CA Deer season, they'll typically feed in open areas for maybe 30 minutes after sunrise and an hour before sunset. That leaves a VERY long and hot day to fill between glassing sessions. And congratulations on your cows! That's a lot of great meat!!!

OP
H
The cold weather will probably keep them out a little longer in the mornings.

A lot will depend on hunting pressure.

Snow is your best friend. Find fresh sign and start there.
Got it, thank you. Will stay very mobile these first couple days to find that sign.