Heavier Puffy suggestions

satchamo

WKR
I’m looking for a heavier puffy with a hood to run on a late season elk hunt this fall. I currently have the umcompagre which is great for taking the edge off in mornings and evenings during archery but it doesn’t quite cut it once winds and cold kick in. I will be using it to glass so I’m looking more for something to wear stationary.

I am not brand loyal but I’d prefer solid vs camo. I’d rather not spend over $300 but saving money is good too

Any suggestions?

Seeknelk

WKR
Look for a sitka Kelvin down WS( wind stopper), they are discontinued but check around used markets. Not the Kelvin lite. It has a lot of fill, not sure how much tho.
Look for 5+ oz of down fill.
Also, check Feathered Friends and nunatak custom offerings for a world of actually warm puffies.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably need to buy used or find a clearance sale for that. Look at European brands like Rab,Bergens, montbell. Don’t know model names but something with at least 6oz of 800 fill power down should work in most cases.

CC55

FNG
Agree with fngTony. I have the Rab Neutrino that works well for this late season stuff. I had a lot of the same problems…I freeze with lightweight puffy jackets in late season for true stationary glassing! I heat up quick but also cool down quick. Been really happy with the heavier setup. Combo it with some good puffy pant and you’ll be happier as well!

PineBrook413

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
for late season elk hunts i always the first lite chamberland. SUPER warm and packs down pretty small. I also have an uncompadre for earlier hunts but there is no comparison in warmth with the chamberland. its easily 2x as warm.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an ultralight Kuiu (2oz 850 fill) for summer, Rab electron pro (6.7oz of 850 fill) for most everything else and a Bergen’s Gala (12oz of 750 fill) for frigid weather. Bought the kuiu on sale and the other two used from here for $150$ $100 but those deals don’t come around often so I’d jump on something between $200-300 if you’re needing it for this year.

VernAK

WKR
I wear a down jacket of various degrees of fill for 9-10 months of the year. I have had numerous down and synthetic "puffy" coats and jackets over the years. I don't get obsessed with brands and extreme ratings. I buy close outs of any brand. Currently Costco has a decent puffy in the $30 range..